2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0
80 Posts
If you just do a drain and fill, you only need about 4 qts. I've just been doing the drain and fill a couple of times and so far have put in about 12 qts of fluid. I'm only at 47,000 miles on mine, but I do it myself, so the only expense is the fluid and the few 'cold snacks' along the way.. ;)

Mitch
So does your process require only drain first and then add 4 Qts? Or do you drain, drive the car, then balance the car and drain excess fluid by draining it from behind the wheel?

·
Registered
27 Posts
So does your process require only drain first and then add 4 Qts? Or do you drain, drive the car, then balance the car and drain excess fluid by draining it from behind the wheel?
I just replaced the same amount that came out the first time.. Then I did the check process by removing the wheel. Took the same amount and only a little dribbled out when it was hot the second time.

I run the car for a little bit and drive around the block to warm it up first, but not so that it's 'hot'. Does not take too long to drain, a couple of minutes.

Takes longer to do that whole checking of the level process, so I'm just replacing the same amount that comes out now that I have done the level process for my own satisfaction from now on.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So many threads, so little time.

All of this has been discussed already. Probably 10 threads in this forum about this process.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
No one’s forcing you to answer.
Whoa....this is a situation where there are multiple threads describing everything you need to know if you do a search regarding trannie fluid changes which has been suggested before here.
You will then know exactly how to do this procedure and there will be no need for contributors here to keep repeating it. ;)
Please don't shoot the messenger. @HayaiKuruma has been on this forum for over 8 years with over 3700 posts and is just trying to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whoa....this is a situation where there are multiple threads describing everything you need to know if you do a search which has been suggested before here.
You will then know exactly how to do this procedure and there will be no need for contributors here to keep repeating it. ;)
First of all, I did not ask for the procedure in the first place. I asked for new knowledge eight years later but the administrator of this forum decided to merge my question with an older thread and I respect that. He’s the boss. So far, I saw only one story on that forum that implied that these transmissions on Gen3 were a disaster (some guy who actually had issues but I have no idea how he was driving his car).

I was looking for “compelling evidence” to not listen to the Ford maintenance schedule and I have read the threads above. However, I haven’t found hard evidence to prompt me to drop everything what I’m doing, and get that fluid changed ASAP. Obviously people must have understood by now that I am not a mechanics. So far, I am not convinced that I should drain a perfectly working transmission 50,000 miles “just in case something happens”. From all the information I could gather, it seems like rolling the dices.

I’ll look elsewhere because I am not buying an EV anytime soon. End of discussion on my part.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
First of all, I did not ask for the procedure in the first place. I asked for new knowledge eight years later but the administrator of this forum decided to merge my question with an older thread and I respect that. He’s the boss. So far, I saw only one story on that forum that implied that these transmissions on Gen3 were a disaster (some guy who actually had issues but I have no idea how he was driving his car).

I was looking for “compelling evidence” to not listen to the Ford maintenance schedule and I have read the threads above. However, I haven’t found hard evidence to prompt me to drop everything what I’m doing, and get that fluid changed ASAP. Obviously people must have understood by now that I am not a mechanics. So far, I am not convinced that I should drain a perfectly working transmission 50,000 miles “just in case something happens”. From all the information I could gather, it seems like rolling the dices.

I’ll look elsewhere because I am not buying an EV anytime soon. End of discussion on my part.
I am sorry but apart from your other comments in your post #29 you enquired about changing the transmission fluid at 50,000km and asked for advice as you were told that it could damage the transmission. You were given advice here saying that it will not damage the transmission and suggesting that it be done and then you went on to ask how it should be done. You were again given a lot of advice but obviously it is up to you whether you get the fluid changed or not.
I don't know what you mean by 'rolling the dices', I have never heard of a transmision failing due to a fluid change.
You may never have an issue by not changing it but there are many threads here about transmissions failing down the track due to the fluid never being changed.
Many comments here re this, especially #3 if you are interested...

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Who should I listen to and what should I do?
What about mine?
I need some fluid. And how much of it?
How long does it take to drain? I supposed the transmission has to be hot (but too much)?
Removing the wheel??? What wheel?
Just trying to point out to this individual that all of these questions have already been answered on this forum.

Reactions: Melman

·
Registered
29 Posts
A friend of mine and manager of a Jiffy Lube garage sent me a screen shot is from the Jiffy Lube database this morning. It clearly specifies 48,000 km (30,000 miles) for fluid replacement in complete contradiction with the Ford maintenance schedule which says to replace at 150,000 miles. The Jiffy Lube manual recommends a drain and fill except if the transmission is exhibiting problems already (they even have a written detailed road test procedure).

I also spoke to a technical advisor at Ford. I’ve known him for years and he was himself a skilled mechanic before becoming advisor. For the 2014 year model, he indeed recommended that I do a drain and fill.

I will go ahead and let my usual Ford dealer do the procedure because my mechanics is retired, doesn’t have liability insurance anymore and because IMO, maintaining a transmission is more delicate procedure than a simple oil and filter change.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
A friend of mine and manager of a Jiffy Lube garage sent me a screen shot is from the Jiffy Lube database this morning. It clearly specifies 48,000 km (30,000 miles) for fluid replacement in complete contradiction with the Ford maintenance schedule which says to replace at 150,000 miles. The Jiffy Lube manual recommends a drain and fill except if the transmission is exhibiting problems already (they even have a written detailed road test procedure).

I also spoke to a technical advisor at Ford. I’ve known him for years and he was himself a skilled mechanic before becoming advisor. For the 2014 year model, he indeed recommended that I do a drain and fill.

I will go ahead and let my usual Ford dealer do the procedure because my mechanics is retired, doesn’t have liability insurance anymore and because IMO, maintaining a transmission is more delicate procedure than a simple oil and filter change.
Glad you were able to confirm the advice regarding renewing the fluid at around 30,000 miles.
Many here do it themselves using the 3 drain and refill method and no doubt have the right tools etc. to do it successfully.
As I said earlier I do not have the tools or expertise in my err...maturing years, so I will be letting my mechanic do the drain and refill when I reach 50,000km which is quite soon in my case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad you were able to confirm the advice regarding renewing the fluid at around 30,000 miles.
Many here do it themselves using the 3 drain and refill method and no doubt have the right tools etc. to do it successfully.
As I said earlier I do not have the tools or expertise in my err...maturing years, so I will be letting my mechanic do the drain and refill when I reach 50,000km which is quite soon in my case.
My mechanics will look at it as I have precise instructions and diagrams on how to do it. I’ll start with one drain (and see how worn the oil is). Both my mechanics and me are suffering from back pain so worse case, Ford told me they would do it.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts