2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual on page 212 indicates that there is an AWD graphic display that shows the power distribution going to the front and rear wheels. Page 115 of the owners manual shows intelligent AWD as a screen selection. I am assuming is to display the graphic.

When I go through the menu choices for the Information Display on the car there is no option to select the AWD Graphic. I am fairly certain that I found the graphic previously so not sure if I am just loosing my mind.

Has anyone else found the AWD graphic on their escapes that hav AWD? If they have, is it still there? I am wondering if somehow a software update was done and the graphic was taken out.

I was curious about the graphic as I thought it would be a good way to see the AWD working.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
So when you scroll right on the information display and keep scrolling down 'intelligent AWD' does not show up with the graphic display?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is correct. select menu button (three bars) on right hand side of steering wheel to bring up main menu. Scroll up or down to get to "Select Screens". Push ok to see list of options: Calm Screen; Fuel Economy; Trip 1; Trip 2; Tire Pressure; Trailer Light Check; Seatbelts and finally Auto Start Stop are the choices. Intelligent AWD is not an available option.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
226 Posts
Maybe you need to put it in dirt or snow/sand drive mode? When I had a 2020 titanium AWD gas, it did not have it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,450 Posts
I'm not sure if it was on here, but I recall an Aussie Escape owner was asking how to activate the screen because it was missing on his 4G.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What really bothers me is that i believe i was able to find it a few months ago. As i initially mentioned in the original post it is in the 2020 owners manual showing the menu choices and a picture of the graphic in the AWD section. The 2021 owners manual still has intelligent AWD listed in the menu but no longer has the picture of the graphic in the AWD section. It makes me think they may have deleted the menu choice but did not completely correct the owners manual. But that would have to assume that an update to the software would have been done automatically over wifi like Sync software or it was never there and I just can’t remember. I did stop by the dealer but that was no help. The service writer and i just played with the menus and confirmed the option is not there.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
638 Posts
It makes me think they may have deleted the menu choice ... an update to the software would have been done automatically over wifi ...
Highly likely. Don't doubt yourself, "features" have been coming and going since mine was new in January, 2020. I just figured they let a few Lincoln features out and were now recalling them. Automatic updates has a downside.
  • climate control settings used to show in upper left and right corners of infotainment screen. No need to look down.
  • radio station used to show in the top line of the dash info display. Still does occasionally.
  • time and temperature displays come and go, usually when you're wondering that time it is.

Yes, there is a fix path, ForScan, but that's another story I've chosen not to explore.

This is all about a dash AWD display, if I read you right. Do you see the Power Flow graphic on the infotainment display? I can access through a home-screen icon, or going into Apps. It's a vehicle with variable graphics for FWD, AWD, ICE vs. EV, Regen, and HVB charge/discharge state. Could be hybrid-only, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes this is about the intelligent AWD display that is supposed to be a choice in the "select screen" menu that comes up when you push the menu button on the right side of the steering wheel. The Power Flow graphic that you describe is probably only on the hybrid. My Titanium is the 2.0L gas version.

I went back to the dealer today with the copies of the pages from the owners manual describing the menu options and the AWD graphic. The service writer took the copies and said to give him a few days for him to research the issue. I will see what he comes back with. Of course he said this is the first time anyone has ever asked about the AWD dash display. I will be very disappointed if it turns out the feature is no longer available. At least with graphic display you could at least verify the AWD is working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure if it was on here, but I recall an Aussie Escape owner was asking how to activate the screen because it was missing on his 4G.
Murcod - you are right, it was on here where another Australian owner asked the same. Looks like for us it is just not available for us Aussies.

Not sue about the US versions

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I did enquire about it for my earlier aussie model not long ago on the 3G forum and eventually found it but research tells me it is not on the latest models on this forum for some reason.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
45 Posts
My 2020 US version has had the display since new (bought in July 2020) and it currently has it (I have the latest Sync 3 update). I look at it occasionally so know it was recently displayed. It displays in Eco and Standard modes.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My 2020 US version has had the display since new (bought in July 2020) and it currently has it (I have the latest Sync 3 update). I look at it occasionally so know it was recently displayed. It displays in Eco and Standard modes.
It has nothing to do with Sync but could you please advise those here with a similar model to yours how you located it in the menu screen?

Reactions: Rabbit Fur

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Hallenti, Under your name you indicate that you have the SEL model. Mine is the Titanium. You would think that the Titanium would have everything that is in the SEL plus additional Titanium items. Do you know if the SEL has the same digital dashboard as the Titanium. I have tried all of the drive modes and went back into the menus under each one and could not find the AWD graphic. Mine was built in October 2020. I own three Ford models, 2015 Escape, 2019 Edge and this 2020 Escape. All have AWD and except for the 2020 Escape have the AWD graphic in the menu. While trying to research online I even noticed that in a YouTube video of the 2020 Explorer the Intelligent AWD graphic was in the exact place it is supposed to be on the 20 Escape. If it was deleted on the Escape I would like to what Ford was thinking. I have found it to be a very useful graphic to verify that AWD is working even on dry roads and especially how it was working in snow, etc. For instance early on with my 2015 Escape I noticed that AWD only works when you are stepping on the gas. The car is in front wheel drive when coasting or braking.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid AWD in Rapid Red
3 Posts
Our 2020 Titanium hybrid AWD has never had that option, nor the Off Road & Trailer Light Check options shown on page 116. It also gives the disclaimer that not everything may be available. Note the options say 4WD, not AWD. The Escape has AWD, not 4WD. There is a difference. As the Escape is not considered an off road vehicle I suspect the list of menu options was lifted from another document and not verified before publucation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The owners manual on page 212 indicates that there is an AWD graphic display that shows the power distribution going to the front and rear wheels. Page 115 of the owners manual shows intelligent AWD as a screen selection. I am assuming is to display the graphic.

When I go through the menu choices for the Information Display on the car there is no option to select the AWD Graphic. I am fairly certain that I found the graphic previously so not sure if I am just loosing my mind.

Has anyone else found the AWD graphic on their escapes that hav AWD? If they have, is it still there? I am wondering if somehow a software update was done and the graphic was taken out.

I was curious about the graphic as I thought it would be a good way to see the AWD working.
I picked my new ST line AWD Escape back in May, since day one I have tried to get to the bottom of why the graphic is no longer provided, even though the handbook shows it.
I have had a long running investigation with Ford Customer Services Australia but just come up against a brick wall.
local dealers are not prepared to go that next step and search the software using Forscan or similar. In fact the official answer to “ how do I know if this car is awd” answer. Get on your back and look up to see if there is a propshaft and back drive shafts fitted.
I am still hoping that one day a software update may put things right.
I know it does not help you but it is good that Fords are still showing it in handbook, 6 months on from when I reported the error. Maybe now that the Escape is starting to be delivered after the Covid problemsmore owners like us keep reporting the missing graphic. Good luck.
So when you scroll right on the information display and keep scrolling down 'intelligent AWD' does not show up with the graphic display?
my previous 2017 Trend Escape AWD did have the power distribution graphic and was a very useful indicator, especially when on gravel or sand roads, in fact prior to emigrating to Australia my vehicles in UK were also AWD and they all had some form of power graphic. It is only now the ZH version that should also have the graphic but a major omission has occurred.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,450 Posts
In fact the official answer to “ how do I know if this car is awd” answer. Get on your back and look up to see if there is a propshaft and back drive shafts fitted.
Floor it in the wet and you'll quickly work out if it has AWD and if it's working. ;)

I know with the Aussie manual for the previous models they seem to have included a lot of features with the caveat "where fitted".

It seems someone in their wisdom did a software change and deleted that screen, it's a pity as it does come in use if you want to see what is going on with the AWD. If you can get the "As Built" data from one with it working then there is "As Built" comparison software that highlights the difference between two "As Built" files. That would certainly help narrow down what's different and perhaps enable someone to play around and get it working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is correct. select menu button (three bars) on right hand side of steering wheel to bring up main menu. Scroll up or down to get to "Select Screens". Push ok to see list of options: Calm Screen; Fuel Economy; Trip 1; Trip 2; Tire Pressure; Trailer Light Check; Seatbelts and finally Auto Start Stop are the choices. Intelligent AWD is not an available option.
Thanks for this post, I tried your directions and Intelligent AWD is not present on my 2020 Titanium Hybrid menu structure. The Power Flow is the only indication for FWD/RWD/Combo driving, and that does appear to be dynamic while driving.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
638 Posts
...Intelligent AWD is not present on my 2020 Titanium Hybrid... The Power Flow...
It was noted earlier that this is an either/or feature. The graphic in question is not present in the hybrid, just as Power Flow is not present in Ecoboost cars.

·
Registered
Kuga Hybrid FHEV Vignale
4 Posts
I received the car 1 month ago and the graphic is also not available anywhere. I searched the exact menu described in the manual, in all driving modes, and the option is just not there.
My understanding of the issue is that they removed it intentionally. It´s a guess, but I am sure that it might have been causing too many complains from users that discovered thanks to the graphic that their cars were running 99% of their time in FWD. It´s good for your economy, but hard to swallow when you pay a premium of 2000 euro / dollars for the AWD feature.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts