2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2013 SEL AWD and need to replace the rear brakes, but have no idea how to compress the caliper. You can't just use a C clamp since the parking brake is part of the caliper assembly. The top of the piston is flat with two hole, which I am guessing are meant for a tool.

Does anyone have a service manual that would explain the process and the required special tool?

Much Thanks
Stang

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Yes the tool is called a Brake Caliper Piston Retractor. However, you don't have to go out and buy that tool. There are two holes in the piston and you just have to turn it clockwise to retract it. I cannot remember what I used at the moment when I replaced my brake pads (put high temp ceramic pads on when I bought the car) but it was either a very large pair of needle nose pliers or I may have stuck an allen wrench in each hole and twisted them. Either way, the piston is not that hard to turn. Here is the photo from the manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, will try it later this week.
The problem with the brakes was that all the rotors were pitted and the front ones warpped.
The rear brakes have about 50% of their life, but are making minimal contact due to the rotor's condition.
Changing the pads and rotors was not hard, but cleaning the rusty surfaces and lubricating them was time consuming.
The bolts holding the caliper on is a 7mm allen head, you can use a long handle allen wrench, but an allen socket would have been much faster.
Also, as soon as you take the tire off, spray WD-40 around the rotor hub and the tire studs. Let it soak in while you remove the caliper. Even after doing this I still needed a hammer to free the rotors. I cleaned the surfaces and applied some anti seize before installing the new rotors.

Hope this will help someone in the future.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
All, thanks for the info. As much as I like working on things myself, and the fact that I'm pretty good with my hands(cabinetmaker by trade, build museum exhibits, trade shows, and architectural millwork)this is the one thing I've never tackled. I really should learn how to do my own brakes. I find us DIY'ers do a better job, like taking the time to clean things and applying anti seize grease, little things like that.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes the tool is called a Brake Caliper Piston Retractor. However, you don't have to go out and buy that tool. There are two holes in the piston and you just have to turn it clockwise to retract it. I cannot remember what I used at the moment when I replaced my brake pads (put high temp ceramic pads on when I bought the car) but it was either a very large pair of needle nose pliers or I may have stuck an allen wrench in each hole and twisted them. Either way, the piston is not that hard to turn. Here is the photo from the manual:
Needle nose pliers is what I've used. Worked just fine...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2013 SEL AWD and need to replace the rear brakes, but have no idea how to compress the caliper. You can't just use a C clamp since the parking brake is part of the caliper assembly. The top of the piston is flat with two hole, which I am guessing are meant for a tool.

Does anyone have a service manual that would explain the process and the required special tool?

Much Thanks
Stang
Hi, I replied to try and assist you regarding a easy to make tool for this caliper issue but it was deleted by an anonymous person and for why, I’ve no idea. I want to direct you to
The other person ‘s post on this so you can see the tool but unfortunately I can’t remember where it is..

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
Hi, I replied to try and assist you regarding a easy to make tool for this caliper issue but it was deleted by an anonymous person and for why, I’ve no idea. I want to direct you to
The other person ‘s post on this so you can see the tool but unfortunately I can’t remember where it is..
You should check you messages. I sent you a message saying I removed it. You posted the same post in multiple threads, which is against forum rules. What you should do is to post a link here to the other thread where your post is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You should check you messages. I sent you a message saying I removed it. You posted the same post in multiple threads, which is against forum rules. What you should do is to post a link here to the other thread where your post is.
Hi I was told by another member that my pm’s are in “conversation “ section.. I checked and have nothing from you in my “inbox.” Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello,

Much Thanks
Stang
Link to my tool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts