2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost AWD / 2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium MT-82
50 Posts
I recently purchased my 2020 Ford Escape. The rear speaker is rattling. I took it into the dealer, who said, "the bass was turned all the way up," which I know was not true, I had looked at the settings, and had even turned the bass way down, to get rid of some of the rattling. .... Then, they told me that they could put some "tape" and "padding" around the subwoofer, to absorb the rattle. I hope that's a fix, but after reading through this post, I'm concerned that they either aren't aware of this problem, or aren't willing to admit there's a problem.
To date, is there a fix for this? How do we ask Ford to put out a TSB for this, seems there's a lot of us experiencing this.
I got the same response. I wasn't happy the service manager declared it due to the bass being turned up. It basically sounds like they are pinning the blame on me instead of apologizing for a cheap speaker and setup.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium/AWD
150 Posts
I got the same response. I wasn't happy the service manager declared it due to the bass being turned up. It basically sounds like they are pinning the blame on me instead of apologizing for a cheap speaker and setup.
Exactly... I have had so many other issues non related to the sub too. Broken welds, bad door clips, bad modem, and some other things. In three months of ownership, I was in loaners for 42 days.

I am actively discussing this with Ford. They had me provide them a lot of information and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Not expecting much, but we'll see.

I saw a consumer reports ranking of vehicle manufactures and their ratings and Ford had dropped way down, into the 20ish range in customer satisfaction, with reliability being the main issue.

My vehicle reminds me of a beautiful Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought new. Great vehicle, great features, but it was extremely unreliable to me.

I love the Escape brand (I've been driving them since mid 2007). I wish someone would step up and fix this thing, so I can just enjoy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Within three weeks of driving my 2020 Escape Titanium home, it developed this exact same rattle! The problem isn't with the subwoofer itself, but the bracket directly above the subwoofer. Ford's engineers really cheaped out here. The bracket is bolted directly to the body, which wouldn't be a problem if the bolts stay tight. But there is no lock washer or loctite to keep them snug, so the moment they loosen up you get metal on metal rattling with any hit of the bass or any time the vehicle goes over a bump. I ended up mounting a couple of rubber washers between the bracket and the body, and put some loctite red on the bolts. Problem solved! I hope the rest of the engineering on the car is a little better than this, because Ford used some really low budget design for this part of the car. View attachment 77758
Hi everyone! Had this problem pretty much from the day 1 on my 2020 Escape Hybrid. After a couple of weeks of apprehension and talking to my local dealership who seemed non-cooperative and inert (saying that they don't even remotely know how much time will they need to look into it) decided to try the fix myself, since it really gets me cringed how bad it sounds (rattles noticeably on the volume levels above 5 on Sirius XM, Bluetooth). Tried the above approach today myself (BIG thanks to Matt E (y)and VladOhio(y)). Have put 2 flat 9/16r rubber washers from Home Depot on those 3 bolts, so 6 washers all in all. (could not find the 7/16 washers in HD). Time spent about 1.5 hrs including the trip to HD. Removing plastic was not hard at all actually, bought a smallish prying tool from HD for that, but I think I could've used a knife or something similar too. Problem is gone, but it's too early to conclude if it's a successful long term fix. Will report later.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
370 Posts
... the source of the rattling, for me, was the nut clip.... I removed the sub and put rubber flat washers... The rattling is gone now.
...I'll give the dealer a go first. ...
I lied, I got tired waiting for the dealer, and it's warm out. But I didn't have a nut clip problem. Mine's the bracket interference. I will admit the rubber washers might have fixed mine, too, but I bent the bracket.

Once the panels were off and the sub visible, I again used a frequency generator to excite the resonance. Once excited, the location was clearly the top of the subwoofer, under or behind the speaker connection. Pulling the subwoofer frame forward stopped it. Pushing did the same. Nothing I could touch in the field had any effect. I couldn't find the actual resonance....

It was hiding. The photo shows a metal file in the gap I created by "reforming" the bracket on the right. The contact point is about 5 mm behind the aluminum plate, about the middle of the file. I now have a gap that the file can rattle around in. rather than the subwoofer rattling..

IMG_20210310_145609__01.jpg

Note that no screws were loose, but none were tight, and tightening them had no effect. I made sure the sub screws were tight, but never thought to tighten the interfering bracket! Next time....

One final add... I've done loudspeaker design, so I know there is one beneficial thing you can add to sealed subwoofers - fill. Photos clearly show a port in the subwoofer frame, which mates to hole that opens into a large cavity above the wheel well. While I had it open, I stuffed about 1/2 cu. ft. of acoustic fill into the cavity. Oddly shaped, not sure how uniform the fill is dispersed in the cavity, but I think I hear a bass boost. There are limits to a 6x9 subwoofer!

I'll let you know if the fix holds... or in a thousand miles, whichever comes first.

Frank

·
Registered
150 Posts
I lied, I got tired waiting for the dealer, and it's warm out. But I didn't have a nut clip problem. Mine's the bracket interference. I will admit the rubber washers might have fixed mine, too, but I bent the bracket.

Once the panels were off and the sub visible, I again used a frequency generator to excite the resonance. Once excited, the location was clearly the top of the subwoofer, under or behind the speaker connection. Pulling the subwoofer frame forward stopped it. Pushing did the same. Nothing I could touch in the field had any effect. I couldn't find the actual resonance....

It was hiding. The photo shows a metal file in the gap I created by "reforming" the bracket on the right. The contact point is about 5 mm behind the aluminum plate, about the middle of the file. I now have a gap that the file can rattle around in. rather than the subwoofer rattling..

View attachment 78814

Note that no screws were loose, but none were tight, and tightening them had no effect. I made sure the sub screws were tight, but never thought to tighten the interfering bracket! Next time....

One final add... I've done loudspeaker design, so I know there is one beneficial thing you can add to sealed subwoofers - fill. Photos clearly show a port in the subwoofer frame, which mates to hole that opens into a large cavity above the wheel well. While I had it open, I stuffed about 1/2 cu. ft. of acoustic fill into the cavity. Oddly shaped, not sure how uniform the fill is dispersed in the cavity, but I think I hear a bass boost. There are limits to a 6x9 subwoofer!

I'll let you know if the fix holds... or in a thousand miles, whichever comes first.

Frank
That's next level research there. Thank you for your post. Hopefully, one of these fixes will be permanent and Ford will test it out, then TSB it for everyone else.

What was the frequency (or frequency range) that caused the resonance/rattle, btw?

I would like to look at my audio files that cause it and see if they are heavy there?

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD Titanium Anti Matter Blue
17 Posts
Hello everyone!! I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their suggestions and remedies. I had just purchased a 2021 Ford Hybrid Titanium AWD in February and from day one I have had this issue with the subwoofer! I had taken it back to the dealership twice before to get fixed and, of course, the first time they could not replicate the problem so they did nothing. The second time they did hear the rattle and determined the subwoofer was defective and ordered a new one. They replaced it and said it was fixed. Unfortunately the problem was still there. That is when I started to research this issue and thankfully I found this forum!!! Thanks to fbov, ChristopherC, Deemz and everyone else here that suggested fixes, I was able to show them (along with several tracks of songs that were mentioned here) that the issue was not the subwoofer but the bracket or the screws or the lack of insulation that was causing the intolerable vibration and rattling. I brought it back for the third time and with help from the sales manager, the service manager and their best technician they were able to fix it with some of the suggestions from here! Hopefully it will last. I will keep everyone posted on this. Clearly Ford has an issue in the design of this especially if it is affecting both 2020 and 2021 model years with the B&O system. Hopefully there will be enough complaints that they will be forced to issue a TSB and get this issue properly fixed! Let's keep their feet to the fire! Thanks again to everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Hello everyone!! I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their suggestions and remedies. I had just purchased a 2021 Ford Hybrid Titanium AWD in February and from day one I have had this issue with the subwoofer! I had taken it back to the dealership twice before to get fixed and, of course, the first time they could not replicate the problem so they did nothing. The second time they did hear the rattle and determined the subwoofer was defective and ordered a new one. They replaced it and said it was fixed. Unfortunately the problem was still there. That is when I started to research this issue and thankfully I found this forum!!! Thanks to fbov, ChristopherC, Deemz and everyone else here that suggested fixes, I was able to show them (along with several tracks of songs that were mentioned here) that the issue was not the subwoofer but the bracket or the screws or the lack of insulation that was causing the intolerable vibration and rattling. I brought it back for the third time and with help from the sales manager, the service manager and their best technician they were able to fix it with some of the suggestions from here! Hopefully it will last. I will keep everyone posted on this. Clearly Ford has an issue in the design of this especially if it is affecting both 2020 and 2021 model years with the B&O system. Hopefully there will be enough complaints that they will be forced to issue a TSB and get this issue properly fixed! Let's keep their feet to the fire! Thanks again to everyone!
Kind of sad that Ford does not seemed to have found a fix after year one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its been very frustrating that Ford cannot seem to develop a fix or new design. My service manager at my Ford dealership he doubt's Ford will really look into this problem even thought its been wide spread.
Based on some of the other member's suggestions, i ended up buying felt tape from Amazon and what i did was place the felt tape on the subwoofer housing where ever would be touching the metal frame, basically covering the entire screw brackets. I also did the same on the housing cover for the speaker itself since i was getting some rattling from there as well. Since i've done that, i have to say the rattling is at a bare minimum. However, the whole quarter panel has a vibration that i cannot figure out. Anyone else notices a rattle from their quarter panel?

Even the front doors have some sort of rattle. It's just one after the other. Anyone has any idea how the door rattling can be reduced?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,362 Posts
Even the front doors have some sort of rattle. It's just one after the other. Anyone has any idea how the door rattling can be reduced?
You should create a new thread for the door rattling. I’m sure you are not the only one with this. Probably be some other members that want to discuss this

·
Registered
370 Posts
Kind of sad that Ford does not seemed to have found a fix after year one.
I think they may be confused because the bracket resonance occurs in cars without the bracket?

I did ~200 miles today and the bass is now much better, with no sign of the resonance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am actively discussing this with Ford. They had me provide them a lot of information and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Not expecting much, but we'll see.
ChristopherC how are you actively discussing this with Ford? I would like to do the same. How did you escalate this?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I stuffed about 1/2 cu. ft. 1/4 lb. of acoustic fill into the (fender) cavity.... I think I hear a bass boost.
That opinion was formed listening to a test run after reassembly, before I buttoned up the covers, and with three doors and a hatch open. No cabin gain.

Today I listened to one of my test songs in a closed car and it's turned out wonderfully. No rattles at the highest levels I'll use, and a high degree of musicality when I was worried about one-note bass. It's a definite improvement. My test song is "Light Through the Veins" by Jon Hopkin. It's a "tone poem" played in many octaves, including low- and mid-bass. The subwoofer test is hearing separate tones in these octaves. It does pretty well above the bottom octave, which reveals limitations of both loudspeaker and listener.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That opinion was formed listening to a test run after reassembly, before I buttoned up the covers, and with three doors and a hatch open. No cabin gain.

Today I listened to one of my test songs in a closed car and it's turned out wonderfully. No rattles at the highest levels I'll use, and a high degree of musicality when I was worried about one-note bass. It's a definite improvement. My test song is "Light Through the Veins" by Jon Hopkin. It's a "tone poem" played in many octaves, including low- and mid-bass. The subwoofer test is hearing separate tones in these octaves. It does pretty well above the bottom octave, which reveals limitations of both loudspeaker and listener.
Good to know! I will download that song and test mine out...thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Also, what material did you use for your acoustic fill?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Actual Acousta-stuff.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The rattle in my car is most excited at 65Hz +/-5Hz.
I'll generate some tones in Adobe and see what I get.

I think all of my current rattle may be in the doors at this point.

It is triggered by regular drumbeats the most... Not 808 deep bass, but just a normal drum.

Billie Eilish/Therefore I Am resonates in my passenger door like crazy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actual Acousta-stuff.
Thank you so much!!!

81 - 100 of 140 Posts