2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had that in mine and it came back. Mine was more predominant when I hit a slight bump.

First time, it was loose bolts in the inner fender well in the back. Another person fixed his by tightening those after I told him that.

You might check them...

If not that, there are modules near the subwoofer that also rattle loose. Mine weren't 'even finger tight' on a passenger control module, I believe.
Is there a youtube video on how to get those panels off? I know next to nothing about cars and don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD Titanium Anti Matter Blue
21 Posts
I am thankful I found this thread as well. Currently at the dealer for this issue as I type. I purchased a 2020 hybrid demo a few weeks ago and noticed the issue.
Mechanic first said this was what subwoofers sounded like. What a joke that is. manager involved and they are taking a look now.
Good luck! Would be very interested in what they come up with. This is totally unacceptable for Ford to ignore that they have a problem. We all really need to get after Ford on this . I would have never purchased this vehicle if I had any idea that they would not stand behind their product. If enough of us complain maybe they will have a factory rep look into this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My doors ratlle badly now too at the same frequency. Mostly the passenger and rear door (ironically the two doors my dealer had to work on for other issues).

Often times, that rattle is what I'm hearing more than my sub. If I keep this car, I'm going to have someone sound deaden all of my doors and the liftgate. I'm tired of this. I program radio stations. Music & Tech are the two biggest parts of my work life.

Thing is, I am not a loud listener. My ears are crazy sensitive. I am usually at 5-8 on the volume. At that level, I am still getting 'full' bass. As you turn it up, the B&O DSP artificially lowers the bass and raises mid bass and midrange so you hear loudness, but not the same clean, deep bass.

I bought that manual too. Very much worth $10.

what manual are you buyig? can you link to the one you used?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has started again today.

For the third time, it came home great and then 3 or 4 days in, there is some rattle, then it gets progressively worse.

I've opened a case with Ford on this. I have a problem with my drivers seat cushion too.

I wish I had kept the 2017. Never had a single issue in it. I just really liked the new style and the added tech (I'm in IT).

I've driven Escapes since 2007. I kept the 2007 for 10 years (had to do a transmission replacement in the middle), then got the 2017, now the 2020.

I really regret buying this vehicle.
me too. I had a Honda CR-V for 12 years, had VERY few problems with it. I didn't like how their hybrid handled so I got the Ford. I WISH I could go back and buy the Honda now. This is my first, and LAST, Ford.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased this and I'm pretty sure this is the manual they are talking about. I am happy to share this with anyone who can use it. Let us know how you make out if you use it. Maybe a video? lol
Thanks for the PDF!! I'll have to buy the tools they use and see if I can do a better job than trained, ASE-certified dealer mechanics. I'm an IT nerd, so this shouldn't be THAT hard to figure out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the PDF!! I'll have to buy the tools they use and see if I can do a better job than trained, ASE-certified dealer mechanics. I'm an IT nerd, so this shouldn't be THAT hard to figure out.
You're welcome! Keep us posted on your progress. Amazon has all kinds of tools for this type of stuff.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
559 Posts
Anyway to make a youtube video of this and post a link? I'd be happy to try this myself but I know nothing about cars or audio stuff.
I apologize for not documenting what I did. I found the Crutchfield instructions a cheap $10, they left nothing for me to add accessing the sub driver. By way of a problem-specific series of steps...
  1. Get a Bluetooth frequency generator for your phone. I use an Android app called AudioTool, selecting GEN mode.
  2. Verify problem: connect app and sweep bass to find rattle resonance frequency. Mine peaked at 65Hz.
  3. Remove passenger side rear panel per Crutchfield instructions. Only the rear portion need be pealed back. Excellent set of pics in the first post.
  4. Isolate problem: re-connect app and set to resonance frequency.
    • listen to identify location of the resonance. Mine came from the top of the driver enclosure.
    • touch to find the exact source. I could not reach the actual interference point, but pressing on a bracket above the enclosure eliminated the rattle. I "reformed" the bracket so the rattle had ~5 mm clearance see pic posted above). Not all cars have this bracket. Note the resonance occurred at the tip of the metal file behind the green connector.
      Hood Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Vehicle
  5. Determine and apply corrective action. This will vary; I bent a bracket not every car has. Your problem may have a different source. Per post 9 in the above thread, no bracket in this car, so different source.
  6. Verify solution: reconnect app and sweep bass octaves below ~100Hz. You should still hear chassis buzzes here and there, but no rattle or other loud resonance.
FWIW, I found assembly very easy. Just remember there's a light on the panel, so a harness to deal with.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
559 Posts
And to be clear about the upgrade opportunity... when removed, the subwoofer enclosure looks like this. (picture credit @VladOhio)

The port at the bottom mates to a hole in the fender inner panel. You can see by the foam gasket on the port that Ford intends an air-tight seal to the hole, which opens into a 2+-foot deep chamber. This resonance chamber is critical to the sub producing low frequencies.

My modification is to stuff the chamber with acoustic fill, a fiber material that looks like pillow stuffing but acts like fiberglass. It is classically used to modify the "Q" of the enclosure-driver combination. A full description is found here.

I could only reach about 18 inches into the cavity, so I tried to make the fill as loose as possible, and pushed the last bit away from the port mouth. Normally, one is stuffing an open box. Working through a ~3x4 inch hole had limits. I'll admit it was a crap shoot if things would improve or go bad.

I am pleased enough to recommend it to anyone who's chasing a rattle.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium/AWD
168 Posts
And to be clear about the upgrade opportunity... when removed, the subwoofer enclosure looks like this. (picture credit @VladOhio)
View attachment 79028

The port at the bottom mates to a hole in the fender inner panel. You can see by the foam gasket on the port that Ford intends an air-tight seal to the hole, which opens into a 2+-foot deep chamber. This resonance chamber is critical to the sub producing low frequencies.

My modification is to stuff the chamber with acoustic fill, a fiber material that looks like pillow stuffing but acts like fiberglass. It is classically used to modify the "Q" of the enclosure-driver combination. A full description is found here.
View attachment 79027
I could only reach about 18 inches into the cavity, so I tried to make the fill as loose as possible, and pushed the last bit away from the port mouth. Normally, one is stuffing an open box. Working through a ~3x4 inch hole had limits. I'll admit it was a crap shoot if things would improve or go bad.

Have fun,
Frank
That is an awesome summary. Great job for the community!

·
Registered
21 Posts
View attachment 79028

View attachment 79027

Have fun,
Frank
this is an amazing post! Thank you so much for posting this!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a new 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid yesterday. On the drive home from the dealer I blasted one of my favorite tracks (Avicii's "Heaven" if you're curious) and instantly noticed rattling coming from the back of the car. Long story short, I have no doubt the source of the rattling is identical to the issue that is the subject of this forum.

First of all, the rattling is a dealbreaker. No way can I just get used to this. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

The question is, do I rely on the dealer's service department for a solution or do I resolve it myself?

Something tells me the dealer is going to give me the runaround. They'll keep the car for at least a day, and they might replace the subwoofer... but they won't actually apply a permanent fix.

On the other hand, I can attempt to rectify the issue myself. I'm not a car guy but I have all the necessary tools. I also enjoy tinkering. But I run the risk of causing damage or not permanently getting rid of the rattling, or both.

I'm going to reach out to my long-time service advisor at the dealer to test the waters. If it sounds like he can't confidently provide a solution then I'll try to fix it myself. If he's aware of the issue and has some ideas then I might give them a chance. Either way I'll provide an update here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To say Ford and Bang & Olufsen were derelict in preventing this issue is an understatement. At the end of the day, the buck stops with Ford. However, B & O isn't free from blame. Their product is being misrepresented by Ford. They have the resources to test their products being used in Ford's cars throughout Ford's testing phases.

It really makes you wonder what else is wrong or will someday be wrong with your car as the result of design lacking in thoughtfulness. Do they not test the audio system with different music and programming at different volumes? All before mass-producing one of the best-selling cars in the country?

This seemingly small issue speaks large volumes about Ford.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
There also was a post perhaps on this thread where someone said the same problem exists in the 2021 Escape. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To say Ford and Bang & Olufsen were derelict in preventing this issue is an understatement. At the end of the day, the buck stops with Ford. However, B & O isn't free from blame. Their product is being misrepresented by Ford. They have the resources to test their products being used in Ford's cars throughout Ford's testing phases.

It really makes you wonder what else is wrong or will someday be wrong with your car as the result of design lacking in thoughtfulness. Do they not test the audio system with different music and programming at different volumes? All before mass-producing one of the best-selling cars in the country?

This seemingly small issue speaks large volumes about Ford.
I absolutely agree.
I am headed to the dealer this week for a fix. If they cannot I will do as others have above.
Or I will take it to a private mechanic and pay for a fix. Either way this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
(Wrote this yesterday, and I'll still post it.)

Well, then, convince them.

Set the subwoofer to the peak rattle frequency then record the sound from the subwoofer.

Next time you take the car in, play the recording continuously when you're in the service department. When they ask you to turn it off, reply: "I've brought my car in to have this fixed FOUR TIMES and it still rattles when I drive. I don't like it any more than you do." If they fail to respond in the desired manner, (nasty stuff deleted).
Yeah. I did all that. I even showed them where the liftgate was rattling like crazy. Today they told me even though they put foam tape on it and tightened it all up, and put rubber washers and foam tape around the sub, it's still rattling. I've gotten nasty, but I'm not sure what to do now. One tech just responded "that's what bass does".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah. I did all that. I even showed them where the liftgate was rattling like crazy. Today they told me even though they put foam tape on it and tightened it all up, and put rubber washers and foam tape around the sub, it's still rattling. I've gotten nasty, but I'm not sure what to do now. One tech just responded "that's what bass does".
A tech told me that as well. Try a different dealer and contact Ford corporate. I spoke with a senior area customer service manager today and they said they have not heard of the issue. If enough of us report it, they should do something.

·
Registered
559 Posts
...a senior area customer service manager... said they have not heard of the issue....
I just went through the thread to see if anyone had posted a recording... Would someone with the problem please post a recording? If we all agree "this is what is sounds like" perhaps we can get Ford's attention?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

121 - 140 of 174 Posts