2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium/AWD
168 Posts
Well, I picked up my car today and I have to say THEY FIXED IT. Not sure exactly how but they “added padding” and ”bent some metal” out of place and it appears to have worked.
I hope it holds for you.

After a couple of hundred miles, my rattle came back two more times that they fixed it. When it came back the third time, they said it was a Ford problem and wouldn't work on it.

Very good info in this thread if you don't mind taking it apart yourself.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
559 Posts
Oh yes. hopefully the links work now...
They worked for me! First post is exactly what I heard. How about the rest of you?

Is the second link's rattle heard when the tailgate's closed? I didn't hear that when I did my verification test before buttoning everything up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I picked up his & hers 2021 Escape SELs on 2 year leases on 4/16/2021. Mine is the 2.0L and hers is the Hybrid. Hers has the subwoofer rattle which is how I ended up here. Not keen to modify a lease vehicle although I have the tools and skills. We will try to get the dealership to fix, if it's really bad and the car goes in 3 or more times, I'll contact a lemon lawyer.

I once 'lemoned' an Audi A6 and settled for a payment of $6,500. They told me that if I had leased that vehicle, they would have swapped it or just taken me out of my lease.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My wife and I picked up his & hers 2021 Escape SELs on 2 year leases on 4/16/2021. Mine is the 2.0L and hers is the Hybrid. Hers has the subwoofer rattle which is how I ended up here. Not keen to modify a lease vehicle although I have the tools and skills. We will try to get the dealership to fix, if it's really bad and the car goes in 3 or more times, I'll contact a lemon lawyer.

I once 'lemoned' an Audi A6 and settled for a payment of $6,500. They told me that if I had leased that vehicle, they would have swapped it or just taken me out of my lease.

I'll let you know how it goes.
I agree. I wouldn't modify a lease.

There is a post in the thread with a link to report the issue. If we all do that, maybe we get a TSB. The 2020 model year (and 2021) didn't produce and sell as many Escapes as usual. The most popular models have the standard sound system, so all the reports we can get with the B&O system would help.

I referred my dealer to this thread the three times they fixed it before they told me to pound sand. The third time, though, I don't think the sub rattle ever came back. I had many other issues (not normal ones, just a bad luck car for me).

I'd imagine if your dealer saw some of the more detailed posts on here, they could do it for you. I also feel like you have more leverage being in a lease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Chris,

You have the Titanium, nice. I test drove one as I would have liked the leather but it had a horrible WHITE fake wood strip across the dash; what were they thinking? Someone in the Ford design team needs firing. The other big issue with the SEL and below is that the low beam headlights are too dim, has anyone on this forum raised that to your knowledge?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks Chris,

You have the Titanium, nice. I test drove one as I would have liked the leather but it had a horrible WHITE fake wood strip across the dash; what were they thinking? Someone in the Ford design team needs firing. The other big issue with the SEL and below is that the low beam headlights are too dim, has anyone on this forum raised that to your knowledge?
Not that I've seen. You are correct that they are kind of dim. The auto bright/dim can get very weird sometimes too.

I loved my vehicle (although I did agree about the fake wood grain). It was a shame it had so many problems. Luck of the draw, though. I've had 3 Escapes over 14 years and this was the first problematic one. That's a pretty good track record.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was having an issue with mine as well certain bass frequencies would cause the rattle just like the recordings on page 7. I took the back panel apart so I could get to the subwoofer - all the screws and bolts were tight as expected. With the panel open I played some songs that would reproduce the rattling sound so I could pinpoint it on mine at least it is the plastic shroud that holds the subwoofer in place. The back of it was tight like it should be it’s just a wide piece of plastic and it simply vibrates at certain frequencies. I was able to stop it by putting my hand on it and gripping it with a little bit of force. Instead of stuffing padding behind it I cut out a piece of dynamat stick on sound dampening material that I had purchased before for another project and stuck it to the back of the plastic and the rattling is gone!

Reactions: fbov

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was there a bracket above the sub, or a fist-size void?
There is a fist size void behind the plastic bracket and the metal outer wall of the vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a fist size void behind the plastic bracket and the metal outer wall of the vehicle.
Circled in red here is where I stuck the Dynamat on the back of the plastic. This photo was from earlier in this thread just using it to show where my rattle was - it was that plastic.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD Titanium Anti Matter Blue
21 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't modify a lease.

There is a post in the thread with a link to report the issue. If we all do that, maybe we get a TSB. The 2020 model year (and 2021) didn't produce and sell as many Escapes as usual. The most popular models have the standard sound system, so all the reports we can get with the B&O system would help.

I referred my dealer to this thread the three times they fixed it before they told me to pound sand. The third time, though, I don't think the sub rattle ever came back. I had many other issues (not normal ones, just a bad luck car for me).

I'd imagine if your dealer saw some of the more detailed posts on here, they could do it for you. I also feel like you have more leverage being in a lease.
Where in this tread is the link to report this issue?

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
32 Posts
Within three weeks of driving my 2020 Escape Titanium home, it developed this exact same rattle! The problem isn't with the subwoofer itself, but the bracket directly above the subwoofer. Ford's engineers really cheaped out here. The bracket is bolted directly to the body, which wouldn't be a problem if the bolts stay tight. But there is no lock washer or loctite to keep them snug, so the moment they loosen up you get metal on metal rattling with any hit of the bass or any time the vehicle goes over a bump. I ended up mounting a couple of rubber washers between the bracket and the body, and put some loctite red on the bolts. Problem solved! I hope the rest of the engineering on the car is a little better than this, because Ford used some really low budget design for this part of the car. View attachment 77758
After a few weeks of testing I'm ready to declare victory here. I used rubber washers to isolate the upper bracket and subwoofer, and thread-locked it all down. Thanks to Matt E, and NeighborRob (post #46) for the great details and pics. On the metal bracket, I also bent back the two small mounting tabs so they're no longer touching. The tab seated design is unnecessary and a possible source of metal-on-metal rattle in my case.

I think the rubber washers I had were originally for toilet tank bolts.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
559 Posts
Circled in red here is where I stuck the Dynamat on the back of the plastic. ...
That's exactly what I was considering, but found unnecessary. My fix was 100% bracket bending.

The question remains: what is the root cause in cars without the bracket?

I removed the driver housing because I wanted to add acoustic fiber to the fender resonance chamber. I refitted the housing without modification. Screws were not loose on disassembly, but I tightened them well, just in case, since some folks identified loose screws as the root cause. No added washers or surface mats, and the added fiber is in the fender.

Frank

·
Registered
168 Posts
Where in this tread is the link to report this issue?
There was a link in here somewhere to report. Maybe it's gone.

Everyone can also just contact them on Twitter. The social team can escalate vehicle problems. Especially recurring ones.

·
Registered
2020 Rapid Red Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD
46 Posts
Hate to mention a potential other problem, but....

I am posting this here as it could be mistaken for the subwoofer issue. Some Escapes have a rattling sound which sounds like it is coming from the rear right of the vehicle, regardless of having the sub. It is caused by the springs in the 2nd row armrest tensioning system. The only way to confirm it is to ride in the cargo area as that is where the sound projects and reflects. In my car, it was immediately apparent a rattle was originating there. The dealer added some foam where the spring was contacting to create the sound and that solved the issue.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost AWD / 2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium MT-82
53 Posts
After my third dealer fix, I refused another fix until a Ford rep looks into it. Its been over a month and I just emailed Bang & Olufsen. I'll let you all know if I hear anything useful back.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts