2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium - The Dark Knight
51 Posts
Interesting, I haven't had that issue (yet) on my 2020 Escape Hybrid and I have to use the backup camera pretty regularly (as I back into my parking space)

My Escape build date was February 2020, maybe they had the problem resolved by then?

NefCanuck

·
Registered
2020 Escape
80 Posts
My build date is 10/31/19. No issue so far. And my wife also used the camera on a daily basis. Maybe the bad batch was a short run where most ended up in the F150s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2020 Sport Hybrid build day January 17th. I started having problems with the backup camera about 2-3 weeks ago. Bought it in March. Just a couple days ago got "blue screen of death" after many issues prior to. Took it in to be serviced today. Will let you know if it fixes issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update - Dealership told me they would replace the camera, but it would take about a week to get the part because the factories were shutdown. In the meantime whatever they did to service it seems to have worked for now. Will update when dealership contacts me.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
66 Posts
Update: Took my 2020 Titanium Hybrid to the dealer to take a look at the camera. They tore the thing apart to "verify" the problem (service rep said that Ford requires them to do this in order to do a warranty repair/replacement!). Problem verified, but camera "is on backorder" with no estimated date.

BUT, when I picked up the vehicle, the (original) camera was working again! It's been working for a week now. The problem was consistent, once it started, and (for now) consistently working again. Go figure.

Hopefully, it will continue to work until whenever the part comes in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update: Took my 2020 Titanium Hybrid to the dealer to take a look at the camera. They tore the thing apart to "verify" the problem (service rep said that Ford requires them to do this in order to do a warranty repair/replacement!). Problem verified, but camera "is on backorder" with no estimated date.

BUT, when I picked up the vehicle, the (original) camera was working again! It's been working for a week now. The problem was consistent, once it started, and (for now) consistently working again. Go figure.

Hopefully, it will continue to work until whenever the part comes in.
The same thing happened to me with the camera after they diagnosed the issue and said they would replace it. Been working fine since. Really weird considering it is brand new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update - Dealership told me they would replace the camera, but it would take about a week to get the part because the factories were shutdown. In the meantime whatever they did to service it seems to have worked for now. Will update when dealership contacts me.
Update - Camera has been fine since I took it in and dealership diagnosed camera problem. They called and I am getting camera replaced next week. Will update when I get the replacement.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
66 Posts
Seems quite odd for the the problem to disappear after the system is looked at. But, I'll take it! Vision through the rear window isn't so great in the 2020 Escape, and I find myself really relying on the backup camera.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
3 Posts
My 2020 Titanium Hybrid has started doing the same thing intermittently not a big concern but it always seems to happen when I really want the camera

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get your camera replaced.
Hi. I brought my Escape to the dealer this morning. They diagnosed and said I need a new camera. They said they should have the replacement camera in 4 to 5 days and will call me when it comes in. I will update again when the job is complete. I was not expecting such an easy time at the dealer because when I showed the service advisor my Escape, the backup camera was working properly.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
42 Posts
Hi. I brought my Escape to the dealer this morning. They diagnosed and said I need a new camera. They said they should have the replacement camera in 4 to 5 days and will call me when it comes in. I will update again when the job is complete. I was not expecting such an easy time at the dealer because when I showed the service advisor my Escape, the backup camera was working properly.
I feel like it is because it is not an isolated case. Supposedly other vehicles in the 2020 line have this issue.

I tried to record all my car issues and keep it on YouTube. My camera wasn’t acting up when I went to service,I told her I had video recordings of issue. She just asked for link.
Getting my camera and sub replaced, just waiting on parts at this time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feel like it is because it is not an isolated case. Supposedly other vehicles in the 2020 line have this issue.

I tried to record all my car issues and keep it on YouTube. My camera wasn’t acting up when I went to service,I told her I had video recordings of issue. She just asked for link.
Getting my camera and sub replaced, just waiting on parts at this time.
I had a recording of the camera not working too, but I didn't even need to show it to the advisor. I left there thinking they were going to tell me nothing was wrong. As far as the sub, I think you are referring to the subwoofer. I believe I have that issue as well but it don't see a fix for that yet on this forum.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
42 Posts
So I’ll preface this by saying that my camera is messed up, it displays that static like screen. Awaiting part to replace it with dealer.

However, putting it in reverse still shows the screen with static image.

One thing I noticed is that if I turn on the car and immediately put it in reverse before the Sync 3 fully loads, the backup camera never displays.

Is this normal to have to wait for Sync 3 to fully load before being able to reverse?

My previous car a Chrysler 200 would always display the backup camera regardless where it was in the boot process and would override screen while it booted in background.

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
So I’ll preface this by saying that my camera is messed up, it displays that static like screen. Awaiting part to replace it with dealer.

However, putting it in reverse still shows the screen with static image.

One thing I noticed is that if I turn on the car and immediately put it in reverse before the Sync 3 fully loads, the backup camera never displays.

Is this normal to have to wait for Sync 3 to fully load before being able to reverse?

My previous car a Chrysler 200 would always display the backup camera regardless where it was in the boot process and would override screen while it booted in background.
I merged your thread with the existing thread on the same topic. Where you had already posted in

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update! I had the camera "fixed" by the dealership until I realized a day later that the camera works, but now there are no guidance lines for backing up..... ugh

I'll be back at the dealership next week...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update! I had the camera "fixed" by the dealership until I realized a day later that the camera works, but now there are no guidance lines for backing up..... ugh

I'll be back at the dealership next week...
Update! They were able to get me in today and had to reprogram the camera to show the guidelines. Only took 30 minutes and everything is working beautifully now. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad you got your camera fixed WCzang. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer when the new camera comes in. In the meantime my camera has been working properly lately so it's not that urgent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Getting a Titanium Hybrid 2020 in the new few days, I was looking in this forum and others, it seems like the backup camera has some issues, blue ou 'scrambled' screen, and needs to be back orderer and replaced for some at the dealer. According to my VIN, the build date on the vehicule I should have is end of March 2020. Any inputs on that? Should I be worried (even though I know it's covered by warranty etc but still, trouble you can hope to avoid on a brand new car, especially if the part has to be back ordered...).
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've seen no evidence that Ford has fixed the production issues on new builds yet, nor have I seen a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the issue that specifies an affected production date range...so my gut tells me you'll still likely get a bad camera. That said, while it's inconvenient, it's a minor issue that Ford will certainly fix under warranty, and with the discounts and 0% finance options available right now, I personally would not delay a new vehicle purchase solely because of this issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This issue just popped up for me for the first time at 4 months of ownership of my 2020 Titanium. Like others reported, it first occurred in darkness/dark garage. The issue is now intermittent for me. If it gets worse, I'll have to make a trip to the dealer. Otherwise, I'd rather wait until the first service is due.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts