2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
68 Posts
This issue just popped up for me for the first time at 4 months of ownership of my 2020 Titanium. Like others reported, it first occurred in darkness/dark garage. The issue is now intermittent for me. If it gets worse, I'll have to make a trip to the dealer. Otherwise, I'd rather wait until the first service is due.
In my case, it first happened outside in daylight. After the first time I saw it, it remained consistently broken for about a week, until I took it in the dealer. After they took it apart & diagnosed it & put it back together, it worked consistently for about 10 days. Then it went into intermittent mode. Once, it even started in the garage in "working" mode, and by the time I got half way down the driveway, it stopped working.

One reason you might want to consider taking it in sooner rather than later is that most people seem to be told by their dealer that the replacement camera is on backorder. In my case, it took between 3-4 week for the dealer to get the new camera. You might want to get on the list...

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid
15 Posts
I had the same issue yesterday, and cycling in and out of park or turning the vehicle on and off did nothing. Parked it a few minutes and it went back to normal. Hopefully a TSB or recall will be issued. With having the issue only once in 9k miles and not being able to reproduce it on demand I doubt mine will get replaced until it worsens.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Add me to the intermittent pool. I've had this happen once, exactly the same as the OP.

I've also had GPS confuse cardinal directions; Driving West put me in a cemetery North of us.

Stay well,
Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my new 2020 Escape Titanium on March 4th. Within a week or so the rear camera began an intermittent failure. Took it in to the dealer (had to leave it). I was told it was covered under the warranty but they would have to order the part. I pick it up. The repair advisor called after about a week to tell me a new one had to be built! They would call me. About a month later my check engine light came on telling me to have it checked right away. Took it in (had to leave it). They couldn't find anything beside the fact that a code had been thrown but it was resolved. I pick it up. Finally got a call that the camera was ready to be installed. Took it in (had to leave it) and at the same time told them there was a problem with the headliner not fitting under the rubber edge at the door. It is like that on 3 out of 4 doors, really poor fit. I was told if I wanted it fixed I had to leave it. I told them at this point to just keep it, I'm tired of dropping it off and waiting to be told they'd call. They kept it for a week. I was told then to come pick it up. The headliner has to be completely replaced and the factory that makes the headliner has been retooled to make PPE for Covid 19. They'll call me when it can be replaced, no date offered. Should I be upset or is this just normal. My 2017 Escape was in the shop one time for an early battery failure. NO repairs were ever needed for my entire 3 year lease. That's what I expected. Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
I purchased my new 2020 Escape Titanium on March 4th. Within a week or so the rear camera began an intermittent failure. Took it in to the dealer (had to leave it). I was told it was covered under the warranty but they would have to order the part. I pick it up. The repair advisor called after about a week to tell me a new one had to be built! They would call me. About a month later my check engine light came on telling me to have it checked right away. Took it in (had to leave it). They couldn't find anything beside the fact that a code had been thrown but it was resolved. I pick it up. Finally got a call that the camera was ready to be installed. Took it in (had to leave it) and at the same time told them there was a problem with the headliner not fitting under the rubber edge at the door. It is like that on 3 out of 4 doors, really poor fit. I was told if I wanted it fixed I had to leave it. I told them at this point to just keep it, I'm tired of dropping it off and waiting to be told they'd call. They kept it for a week. I was told then to come pick it up. The headliner has to be completely replaced and the factory that makes the headliner has been retooled to make PPE for Covid 19. They'll call me when it can be replaced, no date offered. Should I be upset or is this just normal. My 2017 Escape was in the shop one time for an early battery failure. NO repairs were ever needed for my entire 3 year lease. That's what I expected. Is this normal?
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update. My service advisor texted me that new camera is in. It took about 11 days to get it in not counting Saturdays or Sundays. I have appointment for July 10th. I am leaving the car at the dealer for the day. I will update again after then.

·
Registered
2020 Silver Escape SEL
2 Posts
I purchase my Escape SEL on May 23. After 2 weeks my camera did the same thing. After another week of intermittent working I took it in and they said they were ordering a camera. It seemed quick that they found something, but this thread explains it. Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
So I’ll preface this by saying that my camera is messed up, it displays that static like screen. Awaiting part to replace it with dealer.

However, putting it in reverse still shows the screen with static image.

One thing I noticed is that if I turn on the car and immediately put it in reverse before the Sync 3 fully loads, the backup camera never displays.

Is this normal to have to wait for Sync 3 to fully load before being able to reverse?

My previous car a Chrysler 200 would always display the backup camera regardless where it was in the boot process and would override screen while it booted in background.
I didn't experience any delay when I put it in reverse right after start. The picture came up almost right away (within half second probably).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just thought I'd add that I’ve had this same issue with my 2020 Escape; got the camera replaced and still have the same issue. It was Ok for a couple weeks then started having the same issue as before. At this point I'm just waiting it out to see if a recall or TSB is issued.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have intermittent issues with the backup camera on my 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid. About 50% of the time I get a very distorted view. Dealer checked it out and has ordered a replacement camera. Backordered from Ford. Ugh. I really depend on the camera, especially the cross traffic alert. Anyone know is the backup camera part of Sync 3? I'm hesitant to reboot the Sync3 to see if that would rectify the camera issue. I don't want to have to reset all the Sync 3 settings unnecessarily. View attachment 76821
that's exactly what my camera is doing!!! just took it in yesterday... they're trying to diagnose the issue...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
that's exactly what my camera is doing!!! just took it in yesterday... they're trying to diagnose the issue...
Apparently many folks having issues with backup camera. My dealer told me many different 2020 Ford vehicles having camera issues. I don't think there should be any "diagnosing" Ask dealer to order replacement camera.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
68 Posts
Apparently many folks having issues with backup camera. My dealer told me many different 2020 Ford vehicles having camera issues. I don't think there should be any "diagnosing" Ask dealer to order replacement camera.
In my admittedly brief experience with my Ford dealer and telling them about something being a known issue (which is what I did with my backup camera issue), they just waved that away with the comment that they have to do a full diagnosis to "confirm that you have an issue." So, they spent hours taking the back of the car apart, couldn't fix it, and then had to put it all back together because the camera was backordered.

They are now doing this, as we speak, with the known subwoofer buzzing issue, which they said they will try to take care of by making "adjustments" to the speaker, but grudging agreed that if they can't fix it themselves, they will replace the speaker.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts