2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys & Gals,

I have caught the fixit bug and found nico forum for my other vehicle helped save time and money for diy repairs as an alternative to costly dealership service charges.

My 2013 Ford Escape SE, 90000 miles, has been really solid, and I am very happy with it's performance as a work vehicle travelling all over Texas.

My backup camera is working 90% of the time. I took it to the Ford Dealer and asked them to look into it. It worked of course when I got there. Thankfully, yesterday afternoon, the error message popped up when the service tech was checking it. The service manager said it would be a couple of days to get a new camera ordered and in stock for me. I decided to hold off and research which is how I found this forum.

So far, I have discovered that there is a point where the camera signal cable plugs into a head unit somewhere which I still have to figure out and that it could have come slightly loose and needs to be completely plugged back in, which will solve the problem entirely.

Thanks for being here and for all that contribute helping DIY gearheads like myself save money while having fun with a challenge along the way.

MAHONETEAM

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure if this will help either as I have a 2017.

When I bought my escape a week later my camera was about the same and was intermittent, and the screen would shake when it worked. I took it in for warranty and found that the camera mounting bracket was loose, which caused a fault. You may want to pull your hatch panel off and check their first, as that is probably the easy point to start at, or the quick check and see if your camera is loose by trying to move it easily with the hatch closed.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
OK, so looking at my 2014 Workshop Manual there's a rear view cam "Early Production" schematic which may apply to your 2013:

• Starting at the cam in the liftgate, there's a 6-pin / six-wire connector there.
  • Two of those wires go to the Image Processing Module located above the left / driver side rear wheel well (inside the car under the cargo area left trim panel) which has an 8-pin (6 wires used) connector. Note this module is powered via 5A F29 in the cargo-area fuse box.
  • Three of those wires go to the APIM module (not the ACM aka HU; it's the module behind your 8" display screen); that's a big 54-pin connector
  • One of those wires goes all the way to a ground bolt at the front passenger door sill
Just in case ... the "Late Production" schematic info ...
  • Same connector at the cam in the liftgate
  • Same wires to the APIM and Ground
  • NO Image Processing Module - instead: one of those wires goes to F29 in the rear fuse box, the other goes to the BCM (fuse box / logic controller behind the glovebox) Connector C2280A - the 42-pin connector nearest the top on the right edge when looking at the BCM.
Hope that helps, good luck!

Oh, and welcome to the forum (fellow Texan ;-) - glad to hear your '13 SE has served you well for 90k miles !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious if you had a resolution?
We have a 2014 S that also has a intermittent functioning backup camera that is upsetting my bride. Wondering if it was an issue you were able to repair or a dealership fix ?
We are on the bubble with the vehicle and really would like another year before replacing it but all of a sudden several things have become an issue. Blower motor squealing on 2 different speeds, backup camera intermittently working, significant rust on LR door beneath weep holes, and a maintenance issue TIRES. Adding it all up equals significant $,$$$.00. So if I can fix the camera and put on new tires surely I could tell my wife to turn up the radio volume which would address the blower motor noise then trade it in next spring. For some reason my conscience is fine handing over problems to a new car dealership but never selling it to a private party. LoL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same intermittent problem on my 2014 Escape b/u camera. Thanks for the wire routing input, but maybe the problem isn't in the video circuit, but in a switch or sensor which tells the camera circuit that the transmission is in reverse. Since many are having the problem, there must be a weak link in the connections for the video circuit or control circuit somewhere. Let us know if you find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same intermittent problem on my 2014 Escape b/u camera. Thanks for the wire routing input, but maybe the problem isn't in the video circuit, but in a switch or sensor which tells the camera circuit that the transmission is in reverse. Since many are having the problem, there must be a weak link in the connections for the video circuit or control circuit somewhere. Let us know if you find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem with My 2014 Escape. When in reverse I get either no picture, a good picture or an upside down picture, very random. My Ford dealer says that I require a new camera at $670 Canadian plus tax and labour.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with My 2014 Escape. When in reverse I get either no picture, a good picture or an upside down picture, very random. My Ford dealer says that I require a new camera at $670 Canadian plus tax and labour.
I fixed my reverse camera, which was presenting an upside down view, by pushing the start button slowly 3 times. Do not start the engine, just push the button "slowly" 3 times. I was told of this fix and was very skeptical. It worked!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have had intermittent back up camera problems myself the last month or so. Seems to happen randomly and not everyday. Various issues - screen goes black, but still has proximity beeps / or upside down with no guides. Will try the three button push and report back after a week or so with any info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed my reverse camera, which was presenting an upside down view, by pushing the start button slowly 3 times. Do not start the engine, just push the button "slowly" 3 times. I was told of this fix and was very skeptical. It worked!
At the risk of sounding really mechanically challenged, what's the start-up button?

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
For an intermittent rear camera failure Ford replaced the radio ensemble on my 2017. TSB 17-2068 was applied. I don't think that TSB covers 2013 models but the fix might well be the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For an intermittent rear camera failure Ford replaced the radio ensemble on my 2017. TSB 17-2068 was applied. I don't think that TSB covers 2013 models but the fix might well be the same.
Did you have any problems with your radio working intermittently. Black screen?

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Did you have any problems with your radio working intermittently. Black screen?
No, the radio was fine, but they told me they had to replace the whole thing as a unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI, the three slow start button pushes did not correct this issue for me.

I am finding the backup camera works immediately after a cold startup, or being parked for some time. If I drive more than a few minutes, the backup camera is more than likely not going to work properly. I have researched replacements and found them for around $200, but have not located the process for actually replacing it. I did see a tutorial for a similar year Explorer where you had to get a new Ford emblem on the back because it required breaking the factory one to get it off. Initial inspection of the 2014 Escape looks like it could be a similar install.

Has anyone successfully replaced the rear camera on their own, and what where the steps to remove the existing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts