2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know if there is a setting to temporally disable that sound . ? ? When I put the car in reverse with the with the square tube with the 2" ball installed in the receiver that sound naturally comes on because it is supposed to when it sees that there is something there . . It is loud and stays on steady. .My previous vehicle did not have the backup warning feature so It was no problem .
BTW , I got my 7 pin towing receptacle all installed today in place of the stock 4 pin one and the guy did a lovely job from front to back . Have not tried to hook to the trailer yet because I am awaiting mirror extensions from Amazon .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look for a button near the "driving mode" button that looks like the one below WITHOUT the arrow, the "P))A" OFF figure. That turns off the perimeter alarm, if that's what's squawking.
View attachment 78835
Look for a button near the "driving mode" button that looks like the one below WITHOUT the arrow, the "P))A" OFF figure. That turns off the perimeter alarm, if that's what's squawking.
View attachment 78835
Thanks for that. It looks like your Titanium is a little different than my SEL Perhaps my inquiry was confusing and I have now edited it and re-worded it to show that it is the backup "camera" that I am looking to be able to shut on or off . I have a feeling I might have to go into settings to see it it can be done .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its the parking sensors that trigger that sound, not the backup camera. You need to disable it every time you start the car. To permanently disable you might have to unplug fuse or something.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its the parking sensors that trigger that sound, not the backup camera. You need to disable it every time you start the car. To permanently disable you might have to unplug fuse or something.
Apparently nobody here that has a trailer hitch with an extension with the ball on it sticking out of the receiver spotted this topic yet because they would have known what I was referring to . But thanks to the ones that responded . . It can take considerable time to back up to a trailer to get the ball exactly under the receptacle socket at the front of the trailer frame. That continuous loud noise can be very annoying .It is not a beep but a continuous loud noise .
With a little experimenting I found out how easy it is to turn it on and off . Can't be driving down the road for possibly hours with the backup camera wanting to warn about something behind it by putting out a steady loud sound . It is just a case of using the Camera's Rear Park Aid On/Off Setting . So many settings on modern day cars and sometimes when we find them we wonder why we couldn't have found them sooner . Also , many things that operator manuals either don't explain at all or don't explain it easily enough .

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I might have it figured out . I am thinking the sensors in the bumper are for the distance part of the backup warning and the camera in the center above the licensee . . plate (tags in USA ) hee . .hee . .is for real close up and straight down like where my hitch is . I might be wrong but for now that's my story and I'm sticking to it . . . lol . .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I think I might have it figured out . I am thinking the sensors in the bumper are for the distance part of the backup warning and the camera in the center above the licensee . . plate (tags in USA ) hee . .hee . .is for real close up and straight down like where my hitch is . I might be wrong but for now that's my story and I'm sticking to it . . . lol . .
The rear parking sensors on the bumper will emit the constant steady loud sound that you suggest when they get close to something, in your case the trailer hitch. If the hitch wasn't there and you were reversing towards something you would get a beep beep beep ever increasing in intensity until you got close enough for it emit a constant beep as you know.
I haven't heard of the 'ball' setting off the rear bumper sensors before, perhaps it is due to the hitch extension in your case.
The camera makes no sound but just indicates the view behind the vehicle in the cabin display when in reverse gear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rear parking sensors on the bumper will emit the constant steady loud sound that you suggest when they get close to something, in your case the trailer hitch. If the hitch wasn't there and you were reversing towards something you would get a beep beep beep ever increasing in intensity until you got close enough for it emit a constant beep as you know.
I haven't heard of the 'ball' setting off the rear bumper sensors before, perhaps it is due to the hitch extension in your case.
The camera makes no sound but just indicates the view behind the vehicle in the cabin display when in reverse gear.
Yes , I believe it is the hitch extension that the camera is seeing which in turn activates the sound within the vehicle.
Of course the camera itself makes no sound but I think it activates a sensor when it sees my hitch sticking out there to make the sound inside .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting thread. I have a 2020 SEL, 2.0 AWD, Tow package. I have been towing with this vehicle as well as my previous 2015 Escape. Neither car made a continuous sound while backing up to my camper ...... until now. My 2020 started doing this recently, although never before. I haven't figured it out, but it is pissing me off. LOL It doesn't do it with the hitch removed, but it never did it before with the hitch on. I like to leave the hitch on all the time. More protection for a rear end accident. Still looking. The other issue is, I can turn the power liftgate off so I don't trigger it connecting the chains, etc., but I have to disconnect a cable under the hood to reset it so it works again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts