2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm usually not a violent man, but I would like about 20 minutes with the Dumb SOB that engineered battery install. I first tried the cowl removal procedure and wipers didn't want to come off. Then the air box removal procedure and after an hour of fighting and cussing, I finically got it battery in and out and only broke one of those push in grommet things off air box..
Now this BMS BS? a person would think they could engineer electronics so you undo 2 posts, hook up 2 posts and be done. No, Not Ford. I think by flashing bright lights 5 times and hitting brake pedal 3 times, it done what its sposed to, I saw the battery light flash 3 times. Time will tell.
I have 2 of these Escapes , I have been a Ford person for 50 years and worked in Ford Assembly plants all over the country. If I knew what was required to simply change a battery, I might of got a Kia, Toyota or Subaru. . (But I will still buy Fords.) I'm Thru ranting now
Sorry to hear.
I was successful on the airbox method.
Just lucked out I guess.

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
268 Posts
I have needed "more" than a puller. Even a puller wouldn't get the rear one off. I was lucky (?), I guess, that the arm the wiper went on wasn't broke like I thought it was.
Surely the climate you live in will determine how easy it is to get off. The guy who had his on and off a lot, of course it's going to be easy to get off the next time.
I bought my '14 from my sister in '19. She never drove it in bad weather, she never had to replace any blades. With her OCD about washing the car, water and soap likely got on the spindle and corroded it.

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
268 Posts
I live in canada with extreme winters at times and wash my car alote you could put a bit of antiseize on when you take them off like I did.
I would, for sure, if when I need them to come off the next time.

·
Registered
2017 Escape ‘S’, Lightening Blue Metallic, 2.5L
5 Posts
I’m thinking most of you missed the point of the original post - just to rant and blow off some steam (I think). I remember those days when the battery was up front and easy to get to! There was even enough room under the hood to be able to work on the engine without having to be a double-jointed contortionist, so I understand where he’s coming from. Next thing you know is that you have to hop on one leg while rubbing your stomach, facing west, during a full moon to re-set the trip computer! Note - this will also put a curse on the engineers who design some of this stuff (makes their socks always slip down). I think if THEY had to work on some of the things they helped engineer, the design would change quickly. That’s my 2 cents worth. Have a great day everyone.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm usually not a violent man, but I would like about 20 minutes with the Dumb SOB that engineered battery install. I first tried the cowl removal procedure and wipers didn't want to come off. Then the air box removal procedure and after an hour of fighting and cussing, I finically got it battery in and out and only broke one of those push in grommet things off air box..
Now this BMS BS? a person would think they could engineer electronics so you undo 2 posts, hook up 2 posts and be done. No, Not Ford. I think by flashing bright lights 5 times and hitting brake pedal 3 times, it done what its sposed to, I saw the battery light flash 3 times. Time will tell.
I have 2 of these Escapes , I have been a Ford person for 50 years and worked in Ford Assembly plants all over the country. If I knew what was required to simply change a battery, I might of got a Kia, Toyota or Subaru. . (But I will still buy Fords.) I'm Thru ranting now
I too found replacing the battery a royal pain..Started with wiper cowl removal and discovered you cant remove the battery because there's a strut cross bracket lying over a portion of the battery, and had to remove the air box too in order to clear the bracket by sliding it forward..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think if you are handy and have the right tools etc. and are confident it is quite possible but many are not.
I am now elderly and do not have the hand skills or strength to carry it out so will have to leave it to a Ford dealer when the time comes.

Why Ford put the battery under the cowl is beyond me, they could have put it in the trunk if it would not fit anywhere else as other vehicle manufacturers have done.
My previous vehicle to my Escape was a Chevy HHR. The battery was basically in the rear bumper. You had to remove everything you had in the rear cargo area, raise the cargo floor, remove the spare tire, loosen the battery retaining bolt, and slide it forward to access/change the battery. Definitely better than the Escape, but not by much (especially if you keep a lot of stuff in the cargo area). Oh, and don't shut the rear hatch while the battery is disconnected or you will be lowering the back seat and crawling through the car to put the battery in and connect it. The rear hatch is electric release only.

I think when the time comes, I will do the airbox removal method rather than the cowl removal method.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the club. I finally paid to have my battery replaced. $145 just in labor & I had to take it back to installer as the wiper mechanism needed to be remounted properly. Where does Ford hire the A-wipes engineers?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,821 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure to try and remove my wiper arms but don't mind having a look.
There's a plastic cap covering the nut and IIRC it's a 13mm nut. If you do somehow manage to pop it off the motor spindle you could be in for a steep learning curve. Getting them back on exactly where they were originally can be troublesome. (It affects the width of the non- wiped area at the A pillar, which is already fairly large when optimally adjusted.) You could need ForScan to adjust the maximum wiper position. I tried setting mine low on the windscreen (bolting them on in that position) so they were better hidden, but the BCM memorised position must have a maximum degrees limit and it ultimately increased the non wiped area. Be aware of the wiper parked markings on the windscreen- if yours is like mine, the wipers won't match up at both ends with the marks.

Reactions: Jammer717

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,821 Posts
Rock back and forth it will come it is a spline it will be stiff the first time but after that no problem.
I'm 99% sure the Kuga has a cone shaped mating surface. The wiper motor side with serrations to grip on the bolted wiper.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
February 2021. Got new 760 CCA AGM battery for my 2018 Titanium. $215.00 which included the BMS reset at my dealer. I checked for the reset on my bluetooth and iPhone app. Not done first time but brought it to attention of service agent (I had not left dealer) and it took about 5 more minutes.

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
33 Posts
a couple little rocking motion on the base of the arm while pulling at the end frees the wiper arms. Perhaps a little penetrating oil for 20 minute soak on the shaft first. I've done both methods; cowl and induction box removal, the cowl is faster and simpler. FWIW the 2023 models have finally moved the battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m thinking most of you missed the point of the original post - just to rant and blow off some steam (I think). I remember those days when the battery was up front and easy to get to! There was even enough room under the hood to be able to work on the engine without having to be a double-jointed contortionist, so I understand where he’s coming from. Next thing you know is that you have to hop on one leg while rubbing your stomach, facing west, during a full moon to re-set the trip computer! Note - this will also put a curse on the engineers who design some of this stuff (makes their socks always slip down). I think if THEY had to work on some of the things they helped engineer, the design would change quickly. That’s my 2 cents worth. Have a great day everyone.
The seasoned engineers that would not have put the battery, and that BMS device, so hard to see, let alone access, we let go in a round of RIF's, (reduction in force) because accountants run the show in corporate America. Since they don't learn life-cycle costs and they don't learn design for repair value analysis in Wharton Business school, they just eliminate it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts