2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
The battery needs to be heated in cold weather. How does the battery heat up in Ford Escape in cold weather?
Thank you for your answers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know where you got this, the battery does not need to be heated.
HEV battery heating
Thank you but If possible, search for the hev battery heating. There is a lot of content. There are two types of heating, internal and external. I think that in Ford Escape, the heating is of the internal battery type.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,750 Posts
Actually the low pressure battery cooling system is to cool the pack, not warm it.
I've been driving Hybrids for close to 10 years and the manufacturers' concern has always been to cool the battery, not warm it.
The OP needs to post some links for this, a Google search on his phrase comes back with theoretical articles rather than any manufacturer actually doing this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the actual flow of electrons serves to warm up lithium batteries. Lithium batteries don't like cold, with lithium replacement cranking batteries for motorcycles, when its cold you have to turn on the ignition (headlight) for five minutes so the lithium battery will warm up enough for it to produce enough amps for it to start. with the hybrid escape using only electric for revers gear I can see them not wanting to back up when first turned on. I can't shake this feeling I have heard something about a battery heater circuit someplace. it may have been for the tesla.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the low pressure battery cooling system is to cool the pack, not warm it.
I've been driving Hybrids for close to 10 years and the manufacturers' concern has always been to cool the battery, not warm it.
The OP needs to post some links for this, a Google search on his phrase comes back with theoretical articles rather than any manufacturer actually doing this.
Thank you, as far as I know, it only needs to be heated in cold weather and at the beginning of work. After a few minutes, it is no longer needed and the cooling system is necessary. In the lower models of 2008, a heater inside the battery does this

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,750 Posts
Ford Hybrids prior to 2013 used a Ni-Cad battery pack, 2013+ Fords use Li-On batteries.
With Li-On you avoid heat due to the potential issue of thermal runaway.
Once again, put some links out here that call for this, the only references I can find are for power tools, cell phones and batteries for powering the living spaces of an RV.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi
The battery needs to be heated in cold weather. How does the battery heat up in Ford Escape in cold weather?
Thank you for your answers
Page 194 in the owner's manual (of the 2020 Escape):
The high-voltage battery pack contains a lithium-ion battery. The pack is underneath
the vehicle. The high-voltage battery system uses an advanced liquid heating
and cooling system to regulate the high-voltage battery temperature and help maximize high-voltage battery life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ford Hybrids prior to 2013 used a Ni-Cad battery pack, 2013+ Fords use Li-On batteries.
With Li-On you avoid heat due to the potential issue of thermal runaway.
Once again, put some links out here that call for this, the only references I can find are for power tools, cell phones and batteries for powering the living spaces of an RV.
I also did not find any information about the 2022 Ford Escape Hybrid battery heating system. I wanted to know how the battery heats up at the beginning of work in winter? Or in other words, what system was used instead of a heater?
Thank you very much for your thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Page 194 in the owner's manual (of the 2020 Escape):
The high-voltage battery pack contains a lithium-ion battery. The pack is underneath
the vehicle. The high-voltage battery system uses an advanced liquid heating
and cooling system to regulate the high-voltage battery temperature and help maximize high-voltage battery life.
Thank you for your help, it was very good. Now my question is, how does the coolant heat up in cold weather? I am looking for this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thank you for your help, it was very good. Now my question is, how does the coolant heat up in cold weather? I am looking for this.
You're welcome. When it is cooler weather out, the engine will run to warm itself (and the coolant) up to an optimal temperature, and warm up the hybrid battery as needed. The screen will say that the engine is running due to normal operation. You will notice that if you start the car, the engine will kick on, even if you are not going anywhere, even if you do not have the HVAC calling for heat for the cabin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts