2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - Anyone experiencing really short (IMNSHO) battery life with the factory installed battery? Our 2014 was built 8/14 & the battery failed yesterday not quite 2.5 years old! Seems odd to me as it wasnt abused by letting it go dead by leaving lights on or anything and is kept in the garage so the cold nights wouldnt have weakened it either. Thoughts and user experience welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Where are you? Search "car battery life expectancy map" and click on images. The map looks like a map of planting zones. The average life in extreme heat is 30 months.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Hi All - Anyone experiencing really short (IMNSHO) battery life with the factory installed battery? Our 2014 was built 8/14 & the battery failed yesterday not quite 2.5 years old! Seems odd to me as it wasnt abused by letting it go dead by leaving lights on or anything and is kept in the garage so the cold nights wouldnt have weakened it either. Thoughts and user experience welcomed.

Thanks!

Mine (2013 se) failed in about the same time frame under the same conditions you had. I hope my 2017 has a better battery? I'm thankful for "roadside assistance"

·
Registered
239 Posts
usually, the battery that came with factory lasts for 4 yrs and typically you change it to every 4 yrs. In my last car, a Mazda CX-7, it took 5 yrs before I replaced it and have not since. The car lasted me 10 yrs before I traded it for the 17 FE. MAKE SURE IT MEETS OR EXCEEDS CRANKING POWER/AMPS to get the most out of it

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mine failed in 2.5yrs. Premature failure since my car is in a mild climate and had low miles. It was leaking out of the positive post.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Make sure you check the negative battery post and terminal
mine was loose and badly corroded!
It caused a lot of electrical Gremlins
one of which was low voltage to the battery!
the "battery management system" is on the negative cable
this cable sensor controls voltage to the battery! high voltage/low voltage!
this could cause premature battery failure!
the latest software on this sensor is 2.61
here is the latest part number there have been 5 revisions!!
I would replace the negative cable and the battery!

AV6Z-10C679-M
software ver 2.61

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Mine original 2013 and still going strong. I've been thinking of replacing it before dies one day.

I got lucky, mine died in the garage. :laugh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My battery also failed this past weekend, exactly 2 years and 4 months from the day of delivery (and only 26,000 kms). We had been driving short errands and after the second stop, the car would not re-start. Dead silence when trying to start the car. I was able to get a jump start (thank you Ford Roadside Assistance) and drove the car directly to the dealer. Today, they ran a series of tests and replaced the battery with a BXT-96R-590, all under warranty.

I live in the Toronto area, where it is not too hot and not to cold (especially this winter), so it is anybody's guess why the battery failed so early in life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Battery life is a crap shoot. Some years ago my GF at the time bought a new Honda Accord - battery lasted once month. The OEM battery on my 2005 Ranger died last year - 11 years. So who knows. Weather is a big factor, both hot and cold climates affect battery service life.

If the car sits for routinely longish periods of times (4 + days) get a battery tender and keep it plugged in with a "quick disconnect" when the car is not driven. Parasitic drag (radio pre-sets, etc) will shorten battery life by slowly discharging the battery when the car is not driven. Batteries need to be kept as close to full charge as possible all the time. This is particularly true for an AGM battery. A good learning tool is to google info about people living off the grid as they are over the top about their batteries.

One this is for sure - do not try to save money when replacing your battery. Buy the best you can with the highest CCA that fits your application.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mine (2013 se) failed in about the same time frame under the same conditions you had. I hope my 2017 has a better battery? I'm thankful for "roadside assistance"
An old thread, I know, but I'm at a little over 3 years on my '17 (build date 9/23/16, purchased 12/5/16 so it sat on the dealers lot for about 2 months).
I previously got about the full 7 years on 84 month batteries in my previous cars (VW and BMW). And that was with a daily 14 mile drive of 50 mph roads, but with 4 traffic lights and frequent stop-and-go heavy traffic (45 minutes or more to go just 14 miles!).

Should I start thinking about just replacing the battery? I'm surprised that folks are reporting such short battery life.

How's your battery doing on your '17, MoneyPit? Any concerns?
My daily drive in retirement is 12 miles each way, most of it being 40 and 50 mph and only a couple traffic lights - all good for battery life and mileage.
Life change coming. The mall where I walk daily is closing in 2 weeks, and I'll be joining the local gym, only 3 miles away - bad for battery life and gas mileage. :(

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
An old thread, I know, but I'm at a little over 3 years on my '17 (build date 9/23/16, purchased 12/5/16 so it sat on the dealers lot for about 2 months).
I previously got about the full 7 years on 84 month batteries in my previous cars (VW and BMW). And that was with a daily 14 mile drive of 50 mph roads, but with 4 traffic lights and frequent stop-and-go heavy traffic (45 minutes or more to go just 14 miles!).

Should I start thinking about just replacing the battery? I'm surprised that folks are reporting such short battery life.

How's your battery doing on your '17, MoneyPit? Any concerns?
My daily drive in retirement is 12 miles each way, most of it being 40 and 50 mph and only a couple traffic lights - all good for battery life and mileage.
Life change coming. The mall where I walk daily is closing in 2 weeks, and I'll be joining the local gym, only 3 miles away - bad for battery life and gas mileage. :(
My experience with our '17 is the same as the '13. The battery in the '17 died prematurely too. The replacement has been fine for over a year. I think the real problem is the fact that Ford tries to save money EVERYwhere possible and cheap batteries are just one example.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The battery in my 2014 Escape S, purchased new, lasted for over 5 years.
Have now traded the 14 in for my 2019 Escape S.
However, I don't believe it would have made it thru another cold NY winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My experience with our '17 is the same as the '13. The battery in the '17 died prematurely too. The replacement has been fine for over a year. I think the real problem is the fact that Ford tries to save money EVERYwhere possible and cheap batteries are just one example.
My 2014 Ford Escape battery died about 6 months ago and had to pay to have it towed to Ford and here it is 6 months later and I have dead battery. I've done some research and there seems to be a lot of complaints on batteries from the 2013-2019 models. The battery is in such a position is very hard to get battery out and forget if you don't have proper tools to get out everything you need to so you can get at it. I had my neighbor check the battery and he said battery appears to be bad and it is hemmed into the SUV Escape by Ford which supposedly means it has a Life Time Warranty but as the battery is bad and hemmed in the engine instead of mounted to the front of the engine compartment as an Alternative Power Source (APS) for ease of replacement ; the battery being hemmed in means it can be considered a Ford. " Manufactures Defect ". Contact a local or nearby Ford Dealership with an Authorized Service Center , they are suppose to Cover all Cost for Repair and Replacement including Towing and a Loaner Vehicle until Ford Escape is Repaired or replaced to your Satisfaction . If the Ford Dealership & Service Centers refuses to honor their Life Time Battery Service Warranty due the Battery being Hemmed in .. You should inform FORD that the Hemmed in Battery is a " Manufactures Defect " and should be Reported to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and chamber of commerce. It would be nice if Ford stood behind this but I greatly doubt it. A six month old battery should not die. It won't even take a charge so I will have to have it towed again!!:mad:

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 2014 Ford Escape battery died about 6 months ago and had to pay to have it towed to Ford and here it is 6 months later and I have dead battery. I've done some research and there seems to be a lot of complaints on batteries from the 2013-2019 models. The battery is in such a position is very hard to get battery out and forget if you don't have proper tools to get out everything you need to so you can get at it. I had my neighbor check the battery and he said battery appears to be bad and it is hemmed into the SUV Escape by Ford which supposedly means it has a Life Time Warranty but as the battery is bad and hemmed in the engine instead of mounted to the front of the engine compartment as an Alternative Power Source (APS) for ease of replacement ; the battery being hemmed in means it can be considered a Ford. " Manufactures Defect ". Contact a local or nearby Ford Dealership with an Authorized Service Center , they are suppose to Cover all Cost for Repair and Replacement including Towing and a Loaner Vehicle until Ford Escape is Repaired or replaced to your Satisfaction . If the Ford Dealership & Service Centers refuses to honor their Life Time Battery Service Warranty due the Battery being Hemmed in .. You should inform FORD that the Hemmed in Battery is a " Manufactures Defect " and should be Reported to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and chamber of commerce. It would be nice if Ford stood behind this but I greatly doubt it. A six month old battery should not die. It won't even take a charge so I will have to have it towed again!!:mad:
Huh? "Hemmed battery"?? I think you should seek car-related advice from someone other than your neighbor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Huh? "Hemmed battery"?? I think you should seek car-related advice from someone other than your neighbor.
Have you tried to get that battery out??? I watched the video on how you do it but unless you have the proper tools how would you go about it?? So yes I had it towed??? Hemmed may not be the right word but even the technician on the video took time to get at that battery so how would you get it out??

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
said battery appears to be bad and it is hemmed into the SUV Escape by Ford which supposedly means it has a Life Time Warranty
The battery does not have a lifetime warranty. That's wishful thinking on somebody's part... The battery location is quite unfortunate... but it is where it is...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply but that doesn't give me any suggestions. I had someone tried to jump the battery and didn't do a thing I hate having to call a tow truck again as I can't get battery out to take to Ford to replace it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts