2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
When required, I intend to get the largest battery that will fit in the box. AGM type of course. :eek:

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Any one with a 2014 2.0 try this size battery yet? I have notice mine cranking over slower as the weather has cooled off.
Though the OP's vehicle was a 2.5, insofar as the battery accommodations the '13-'15 Escape is identical for all engines.

There's no reason that this would not work as described for our '14 2.0 Escapes.

Might mention that it's likely that a healthy OEM-size battery would also cure your problem, absent any other charging system issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Though the OP's vehicle was a 2.5, insofar as the battery accommodations the '13-'15 Escape is identical for all engines.

There's no reason that this would not work as described for our '14 2.0 Escapes.

Might mention that it's likely that a healthy OEM-size battery would also cure your problem, absent any other charging system issues.

Thanks for the update. I do think it is the battery just reaching it's age limit.
Here in the desert area of Phoenix the heat kills batteries in about 2 years.
I was surprised when I moved out here that the heat could kill one so quickly.

Even the batteries are different here as far as CCA goes. While we do not have the freezing temps needing the added amps for cold cranking it kills me that they cut back on the standard amps that affects overall battery performance.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
@KB AZ - yeah, probably not quite as consistently summer-hot as you are in Mesa / Phoenix in my part of Texas (Austin area), but I understand we do have a different sort of battery stress than our northern / cold-climate members. Heat can definitely be rough on 'em.

I replaced my OEM battery with an OEM Motorcraft match earlier this year just because other circumstances made it convenient and I thought it might be nearing end-of-life. Lol, my original Escape battery is now installed in my 1981 Yanmar 336D diesel tractor - it still spins and starts that 1.5L / 3-cylinder diesel just great!

If you do install an 'oversize' battery, please follow-up here about the experience and the specific brand/model you install .... might be of interest to some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@centex
I know your area well. Grew up in Galveston County and then Graduated from SWT now Texas State in 79. We lived in Plugerville for over 8 years. My kids still call that area home even though we moved several times. Both of my sisters live in Austin now.

Yes the heat here in AZ is different. 122 in the shade is the highest I have seen. Of course when the car is sitting on a blacktop or seal coated parking lot those things are giant heat sinks and temps easily get over 150 sitting there.

Big issue here is dogs burning their feet when out for a walk. People do not realize how hot the pavement is. Tire failure here is amazing lots of blowouts and tire debris on the freeway.

I'll start doing my research now on which battery to go with before this one gives up the ghost.

Main concern for me on the battery replacement is height. Just want to make certain no contact is possible with the body. I know the group number on the battery sets a general size but each manufacturer can still be a little different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad I stumbled across this thread. Picked up my Escape last night and prior to delivery they installed a new battery and I managed to kill it while setting u the escape for myself. Threw it on the charger and picked up a 94R AGM. Little bit of modding to the hold down bracket and removing the two spacer it fit like a glove. I also reset the BMS using my scanner. Should be good to go for a few years.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Glad I stumbled across this thread. Picked up my Escape last night and prior to delivery they installed a new battery and I managed to kill it while setting u the escape for myself. Threw it on the charger and picked up a 94R AGM. Little bit of modding to the hold down bracket and removing the two spacer it fit like a glove. I also reset the BMS using my scanner. Should be good to go for a few years.
You changed both the date of service and the battery size correct?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You changed both the date of service and the battery size correct?
no only reset to zero. I didn't have my laptop with IDS or my vcm2 when I did it. The Autel only gives you basic service resets.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Great write up.

I am a bit annoyed at how complicated these cars have become to do basic maintenance. It does seem unbelievable that changing a battery requires a dealer service call. I can understand that the computer might need to know that a battery has been replaced, but really, a service call? There should be a way for the owner to do this.
Like changing the oil and resetting the oil life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm replying to an old post, but I just upgraded the battery in my '16 Escape. Here's what I did: I went to one of those internet Ford parts stores and ordered a battery hold-down for a '17 Escape with the start/stop option. The Ford part number is CV6Z-10718-A. It costs about $6.00. This is the hold-down designed for a Group 48 AGM battery. All you need to do is remove the old battery and the front (nearest you) spacer. Leave the rear spacer in place. A Group 48 AGM will fit perfectly and the hold-down will fit as designed. FWIW I installed an Odyssey 48-720 AGM battery. It has a reserve capacity of 130 mins - 50 mins more then the OEM battery. Poor reserve capacity is the culprit with the old Group 96R battery. It has 720 CCA, less than the 850 installed above, but you'll never need more than 600 CCA anyway, even in the coldest weather. Keep your old hold-down and spacer. You can go back to the OEM battery whenever you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Let me add some detail:

If you wish to install a Group 94R battery in a 2013 through 2016 Escape, simply remove both spacers as described in alphapart's post. I would recommend that you purchase a new battery clamp, Ford P/N CV6Z-10718-A. If you look at his pictures you'd note that he had to cobble things a bit to make his clamp work. Even then his clamp is marginally attached. The clamp for a 2017 Escape w/auto stop/start solves this. If you want to install a Group 48 battery you will need the above clamp plus a new back spacer. This spacer is listed as Ford P/N CV6Z-10A652-A. Both the clamp and the back spacer sell for about $11.00 together and you are keeping your car more or less OEM. When installing a Group 48 battery simply remove the front (the long flat one) spacer, replace the rear spacer and set the new battery in place. It should fit perfectly. I installed an Odyssey 48-720 AGM battery and it should last the life of my ownership of this car. Odyssey has a Group 94R AGM available, but it carries a three year warranty instead of a four year full replacement warranty. I did a BMS reset with an inexpensive scan tool. If you do any DIY auto work, I suggest that you purchase one. Be sure that it will do BMS resets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok bringing this to the top because my battery is 5-yrs old (at least) and I need to be thinking about a replacement. If the stock battery works fine, why increase to a larger size? Will a larger battery last longer? Will one of those AGM batteries last longer? Didn't we also decide that nothing needed to be reset and the car will eventually figure out it has a new battery?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
.... If the stock battery works fine, why increase to a larger size?
No reason, IMO.

.... Didn't we also decide that nothing needed to be reset and the car will eventually figure out it has a new battery?
On this you are mistaken. Though the system will eventually calibrate itself to the new battery's actual "state of charge", it will not ever figure out on it's own that a "new battery" has been installed.

Both of those distinctly different variables are used in the vehicle's charging system algorithm (the former relating to current battery status, the latter relating to total battery age). The Escape WSM does not explain exactly how the system uses each of these variables in adjusting it's charging strategy, it just clearly states that both are used and explicitly states that the BMS must be actively reset when a "new" battery is installed (and only when a "new" battery is installed).

The only way the vehicle knows that the battery age is "new" is if the BMS is actively reset by manual intervention using the Ford IDS tool, FORScan, or a similarly capable tool. This process is not 'resetting / clearing a DTC' and cannot be done using a typical DTC reader / DTC reset device.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
I did a similar mod to a Honda Fit years ago. There were no negatives, it was all good having the bigger battery. The tiny one that came with the vehicle just didn't have quite enough muscle to easily start the vehicle during the winter months.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I always put in the largest battery that will fit in the space
more CC amps and more of everything!!
beside that they last longer!

·
Super Moderator
1,731 Posts
AGM batteries are not subject to sudden cell collapses like normal wet lead acid batteries. So you should never get stuck anywhere due to a sudden battery failure. They're also quicker to recharge and can supply higher "Pulse Current" ie. high short bursts like when you're cranking the engine to start it. They don't leak acid either.

In my experiences avoid the Calcium alloy wet cell batteries. They can have high Cold Cranking Amps but are slower to recharge and IIRC need a higher charging voltage. That's the only type of battery I've had to return under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im going to be doing this switch over to a 94R as our winters here get cold,Minus 45 a few times last winter and dead or weak batteries suck and this battery being so small needs a change.

I have a snapon Solus anyone know if that is capable of the BMS reset?
Or what inexpensve tool i can purchase to do this?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
…...
I have a snapon Solus anyone know if that is capable of the BMS reset?
Or what inexpensve tool i can purchase to do this?
FORScan freeware with most any USB OBD interface is IMO the cheapest route. Pleanty of threads here discussing BMS reset - site search is your friend.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I just installed the Duracell 96 agm and the covers wouldn’t close correctly. I didn’t want to modify them. So I took DougS001’s advice and bought a group 48 agm. Wasn’t sure if it would fit but it fit (removed both spacers) and the covers closed nicely. It is a nice in between from the stock vs 96.

I'm replying to an old post, but I just upgraded the battery in my '16 Escape. Here's what I did: I went to one of those internet Ford parts stores and ordered a battery hold-down for a '17 Escape with the start/stop option. The Ford part number is CV6Z-10718-A. It costs about $6.00. This is the hold-down designed for a Group 48 AGM battery. All you need to do is remove the old battery and the front (nearest you) spacer. Leave the rear spacer in place. A Group 48 AGM will fit perfectly and the hold-down will fit as designed. FWIW I installed an Odyssey 48-720 AGM battery. It has a reserve capacity of 130 mins - 50 mins more then the OEM battery. Poor reserve capacity is the culprit with the old Group 96R battery. It has 720 CCA, less than the 850 installed above, but you'll never need more than 600 CCA anyway, even in the coldest weather. Keep your old hold-down and spacer. You can go back to the OEM battery whenever you want.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts