·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A warning from "Scotty"

·
Registered
494 Posts
Related to this but not in the same genre of quality components. This is rather why some things should not be installed on certain cars, in this case, it happens to be a remote start system.

You'll find this on Mustang forums somewhere a few years ago. Guy had a manual mustang and wanted to install a remote start system. He knew they were only intended for automatics but wanted to bypass the clutch safety switch in his manual car.

Everyone, and I mean everyone told him why that's not a good idea, No, and just told him to pound sand. Well the guy ignored all that and went on to post about how he bypassed the switch. Everyone told him he'd end up putting the car into another parked car, jumping a parking curb etc if he parked with it in gear. Of course he didn't but, about six months later he has a new post about how he's pissed that the dealer totaled his car by putting into a pond.

After a few round-and-rounds he finally happens to let it slip that the dealer put it in gear when they parked it and when HE hit the remote start switch, it ended up in the pond because it lurched the car forward into it.... exactly like we told him. Never knew the outcome because he stopped posting afterwards.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to have "aftermarket" remote starters installed in the past on my vehicles until my installer stopped doing those installations because vehicles were becoming too complex.That was at least 10 years ago. I can imagine how difficult it would be to instal one on these modern "computers on wheels" today. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Related to this but not in the same genre of quality components. This is rather why some things should not be installed on certain cars, in this case, it happens to be a remote start system.

You'll find this on Mustang forums somewhere a few years ago. Guy had a manual mustang and wanted to install a remote start system. He knew they were only intended for automatics but wanted to bypass the clutch safety switch in his manual car.

Everyone, and I mean everyone told him why that's not a good idea, No, and just told him to pound sand. Well the guy ignored all that and went on to post about how he bypassed the switch. Everyone told him he'd end up putting the car into another parked car, jumping a parking curb etc if he parked with it in gear. Of course he didn't but, about six months later he has a new post about how he's pissed that the dealer totaled his car by putting into a pond.

After a few round-and-rounds he finally happens to let it slip that the dealer put it in gear when they parked it and when HE hit the remote start switch, it ended up in the pond because it lurched the car forward into it.... exactly like we told him. Never knew the outcome because he stopped posting afterwards.
Sounds like a "told ya so" kinda thing huh?

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts

Funny story. People like this will never learn. He probably still thinks it was the dealers fault that his car was totalled. Can’t fix stupid. Lol

·
Registered
494 Posts
Funny story. People like this will never learn. He probably still thinks it was the dealers fault that his car was totalled. Can’t fix stupid. Lol
He absolutely tried to go after the dealer. Didnt' get a dime though.It was on him and his insurance since he bypassed the Neutral Safety. That's like disabling your air bags, anti-lock, or emissions. Federal level there.

I didn't know it at the time but it made to Jalopnik. :D - Short fun read

Kinda short - Here's one of the original threads when he asked about bypassing the Nuetral Saftey https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/382193-best-way-to-bypass-clutch-3.html Not "Everyone" told him don't do it, but there were a few very pointed comments about not doing and why.

Way long but funny. Here's the outcome about it ending up in the pond - post 101 and 171 is about the final outcome. None of the attorney's he called dealt with those types of cases (aka idiots - my supposition) . https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/592148-dealership-drove-my-car-into-a-pond-fmylife-updated-10.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts