2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I am new to the forum and would like some feedback on my escape.
My baby is in the shop AGAIN for the BCM failing. Has anyone else had this happen to them and was wondering how common this is. Does it happen alot? This is the 3rd time it is in the shop for this problem. Thank You:(

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,218 Posts
I don't recall posts describing BCM "failure" per se.

There is one 2014 Escape owner here reporting that corrosion/failure on the negative battery cable and associated Battery Monitoring System sensor/wires caused a dealer to report that his BCM needed replacement. The owner, not the dealer, found the problems on the negative cable and BMS sensor / wires. The owner DIY-repaired (replaced) the damaged negative battery cable and associated components whereupon all other problems disappeared. Of course that may or may not relate to your situation.

Please tell us a bit more about your situation:

Year, trim level (S, SEL / SE, Ti), engine, AWD/FWD?

Miles on the odometer, bought new or used?

How did the BCM failure make itself known (what symptoms did/do you see)?

What was done each of the first two times you took your car to the dealer .... BCM replacement or ??

Has the work been covered under the original warranty, a Ford ESP, or totally at your expense?

While it may not help you it will help others to know all the above to put your situation in full context and would be greatly appreciated by the community.

Thank you in advance for providing more info, sorry to read of your woes, hope it can be resolved, and Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Has anyone ever looked at the negative cable on the battery post!!
You have to see it and make sure it is tight!!
mine was loose and covered with corrosion!
I suspect this is your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes my escape is a 2014 SE FWD(17,684 miles) its pretty loaded for an SE purchased it brand new Leather heated seats, moonroof , the larger touchscreen and all the mytouch. The BCM failure made itself known by basically geeking out the radio would shut off off and come back on by itself and same with the heater. It would say something on the screen about my parking assist is engaged, well I dont have park assist. After awhile the whole dash and screen would shutoff, no tachometer no speedometer. Basically just use your imagination on what i was experiencing. The lady at the service desk says that aliens have taken over my vehicle. The 1st two times the BCM module was replaced under warranty and I'm sure this time it will be covered also.
The 1st time the warranty covered $2,178.65, the second time it costed $856.00.
I'm contacting customer relations tomorrow to talk to them about getting out of this vehicle. I think it is unsafe if I dont know how fast im going and no blinkers, hell i didnt even think about the brake light coming on when i hit the brakes.

THANK YOU FOR ANY FEEDBACK GUYS!!! TIM

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,218 Posts
Yes my escape is a 2014 SE FWD(17,684 miles) its pretty loaded for an SE purchased it brand new ....
That's relatively low miles/use for a '14. That does make me wonder about the battery condition (and associated cables) as problems may arise in that area due to low charging conditions/cycles.

As waverunner10 has attested it can be hard to 'make' the dealer look at the difficult to access rear battery terminal (negative cable/BMS sensor) because apparently the typical dealer BCM diagnostic process does not 'point' to that as a potential source of BCM problems. But clearly low voltage due to a problem in that area may cause very erratic BCM behavior.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,126 Posts
This conversation takes me back many years- the first step in fault finding any electronics circuitry CHECK THE POWER SUPPLY!

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
1 Posts
13 days of ownership and BCM fail

Bought a 2017 Escape SE (AWD, 2.0, and sunroof).13 days later went to grocery store before work. When I came out to go to work, car would not start (had zero power). Called Roadside Assistance and guy said battery not the problem and to call for a tow. Called Roadside again and had it towed back to dealership. By now, I had to take a vacation day off from work. First they said it was a 'bad' ground wire. Now they say I need a new BCM: body control module. Have had a loaner for a week. Thanks Ford: appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm, I may have the same BCM issue with my 2013 Titanium (about 51k miles)...first thing this morning I started it up and noticed that the driver's side window controls were not working. Reached over to passenger side and that control worked OK. Then noticed that the climate control was set for defrost, 75 degrees - I did not leave it that way. I set it to the normal setting (71, A/C off) and within a minute it reverted back to 75/defrost. As I left the driveway I got a Parking Assist Fault message, then another one a few minutes later. Then Engine Fault, then turn signals started acting flaky. I turned around and returned home to switch cars, being a little afraid of what would happen next! I'll definitely check the ground cable and connections tonight, but now I have suspicions about the BCM, which sounds expensive. One other oddity - I ran a Vehicle Health Report which ran successfully, but when I went to the site to read the results - nothing there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(Re my previous post...) Took it to dealership. They cleaned up the battery terminals and "updated software on several modules". Next day the same symptoms came back. Took it back to dealership - they have now had it 5 days and cannot duplicate the problem.

I found a post from 2013 on another forum that describes my scenario almost exactly, but there was no resolution...Instrument Cluster Turns On and Off While Driving
While driving down the highway yesterday all of a sudden my power windows stopped working on all windows except the left rear. Then the AC changed itself to 75 degrees defrost, no matter what I changed it to it would keep going back to that. Then the Nav gave off Nav fault alert. Then the instrument cluster started turning on and off like I was turning the car on and off, even giving a warning for not having the car in park (kind of tough since I was driving down the highway at 70 mph). Then the AC stopped working all together and the display went blank. The Nav screen began flickering. I got home to the safety of my driveway and turned the car off and it wouldn't turn back on again for about an hour.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(Re my previous post) Second trip to the dealer - no problem found. After driving 60 miles the symptoms came back, and again at 190 miles, then more and more frequently. I griped to Ford corporate and was assigned a case number and told to take it back again, that the service manager had been contacted and they would work with the service department. They also agreed to give me a loaner.

Third time back to the dealer with "case number": Replaced battery. They agreed to cover it under the extended warranty. Ran great for about 200 miles, then the problem returned. Worse than ever.

Fourth time back to dealer - found a "wiring harness issue" and want to replace the BCM. Unfortunately it's on back-order so it may be another 2-3 weeks. Hopefully that will solve it.

I posted a video on Youtube but cannot add the link because I don't have enough posts. But if you go to Youtube and search for "2013 Ford Escape - Intermittent instrument panel issues" it should pop up.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,126 Posts
Here you go

I hope they manage to fix it for you. Be sure to post any fix up here as it will more than likely help other owners in the future.

PS: there's another one on Youtube

Reactions: loulamb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, the BCM was replaced on the fifth trip to service. After 168 miles the problem has come back yet again. Pretty much done with this vehicle! Video on YouTube if anyone is interested in seeing what is happening - Big thank you to murcod for sharing the link to my and another's videos!

·
Registered
906 Posts
has anyone checked the negative post on the battery???
mine was loose and full of corrosion this caused all sort of problems!
the battery was undercharging
my ford dealer said the BCM was bad.they never checked the negative post on the battery!!!
my bcm was not bad!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Funny you should ask - I noted fluffy corrosion on the Positive terminal when the issues first started. The dealership "cleaned it up" on trip 1 - it came back. They replaced the battery on trip 3. They are trying to fix the symptoms and not find the root cause it seems. Spent another hour on the phone with Ford this morning to no avail. They now suggest I take it to a different dealership.

Thanks so much for the response - my gut feeling is that it is something in the charging system.

has anyone checked the negative post on the battery???
mine was loose and full of corrosion this caused all sort of problems!
the battery was undercharging
my ford dealer said the BCM was bad.they never checked the negative post on the battery!!!
my bcm was not bad!!!!!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
my Escape 2013 2 liter AWD Titanium now 66,000 miles over $37,000 new bought used 8/15

I Had to replace my negative battery cable!! it is called "Battery system management" there is a sensor on it that has been updated 5 times !!! looks like a cell phone battery
Latest part number AV6Z10C679M
with all the corrosion on the negative post it ate through the battery current male connector. 2 cavity male battery current pig tail!!
this gave false readings to the BCM. BCM was not bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here is the pigtail motorcraft pigtail part number
WPT-1396 DUZ2-14S411-AZA
I am pretty sure this will solve your problem
Total cost was under $60.00
did it myself!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Waverunner10 - I will have them check it out. Very helpful info!

my Escape 2013 2 liter AWD Titanium now 66,000 miles over $37,000 new bought used 8/15

I Had to replace my negative battery cable!! it is called "Battery system management" there is a sensor on it that has been updated 5 times !!! looks like a cell phone battery
Latest part number AV6Z10C679M
with all the corrosion on the negative post it ate through the battery current male connector. 2 cavity male battery current pig tail!!
this gave false readings to the BCM. BCM was not bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here is the pigtail motorcraft pigtail part number
WPT-1396 DUZ2-14S411-AZA
I am pretty sure this will solve your problem
Total cost was under $60.00
did it myself!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: I replaced the negative battery cable with sensor (AV6Z10C679M) and so far have logged over 1000 miles with no problems. While I had the battery accessible I did a little snooping around with a flashlight and noticed that when the battery was replaced by the Ford dealership in April, they neglected to clean out the corrosion/acid deposits in the bottom of the battery box left by the previous battery. Thoroughly cleaned before reassembling, and also loosened, cleaned, and re-torqued the now-rusty bolts in case they are part of the grounding system.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
BCM module fault

Hello .
Did Ford step up to the plate. We also have almost the same symptoms. Started happening once around 55K . Could not pinpoint the issue, just disconnected one battery post and problem went away temporarily. It is now doing the same things again around 70k. Of course after the bumper to bumper warranty has expired. In the shop as I am writing this, same ford dealership we bought it brand new from.
They have had it for a day and a half and still have not found the problem. Not impressed, hopefully it will be covered under warranty as it started occurring well before the 60 k warranty ran out. Albeit the shop was short staffed being a weekend and all but still makes one wonder about the accuracy of diagnostics. Anyway if anyone has any info regarding same problems and if Ford stepped up etc , please let us all know. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts