2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about brake life on a 2020 SEL given the fact that I live in the mountains and the brakes are used quite a bit seeing as the engine braking is not all that good on this particular vehicle .
With such a new model , it is possible that there are not many here that have high enough mileage on their car yet but hoping to hear from some with high mileage and amount of brake pad left.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wondering about brake life on a 2020 SEL given the fact that I live in the mountains and the brakes are used quite a bit seeing as the engine braking is not all that good on this particular vehicle .
With such a new model , it is possible that there are not many here that have high enough mileage on their car yet but hoping to hear from some with high mileage and amount of brake pad left.
Based on my past experience with two heavy SUVs I expect them to last at least 60k and that's with 80% of city driving with lots of hills and hard breaking. But pads are cheap and easy to replace yourself so that's not even a concern

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on my past experience with two heavy SUVs I expect them to last at least 60k and that's with 80% of city driving with lots of hills and hard breaking. But pads are cheap and easy to replace yourself so that's not even a concern
That's true. Its a pretty straightforward job . I have changed brakes myself (so far) on every vehicle I have ever owned . Turned 85 this month so never know when I will have to get someone else to do it and I know the scary price that brake shops charge nowadays . .lol . .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No hill assist capability? I have tremendous lift-throttle braking when it's fully engaged.
I would like to know what you are referring to or how to engage it . Not familiar with anything like that on mine . It would sure save the continual wear on my brakes every day just driving around town with all our steep hills .
I used to be able to gear down to 2nd or 1st with previous 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions with other vehicle's over the years .

·
Registered
2020 escape se awd
51 Posts
Im a little hesitant to reply here but i noticed a hold capability on my se awd while in adaptive cruise control. I have not tried this but the manual claims you can shift into low at any speed i have used this feature going up hill but not down hill. you engage by pressing the L in the center of the shift control dial. mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Im a little hesitant to reply here but i noticed a hold capability on my se awd while in adaptive cruise control. I have not tried this but the manual claims you can shift into low at any speed i have used this feature going up hill but not down hill. you engage by pressing the L in the center of the shift control dial. mike
It appears as if you have the same vehicle as mine apart from mine being a S E L but are they putting different features on different production runs in the same year ? ?
Yours has a L in the middle and mine has a M . The M stands for manual but it is as useless as a s second rectum on a wooden dog . Supposed to make it like a manual shift but the faint tiny red light (or is it orange) that comes up to show what gear it is in is almost impossible to see with my eyes and cannot be seen AT ALL if the sun happens to be shining while driving . Ford sure made a mess of adding that feature the way they did and the way it is supposed to be used . So for me , the only option I have to slow down on hills here in the mountains is to always use automatic and to wear out my breaks. Even though I use them as gently as I can knowing that they are wearing down every time I press the pedal , I expect them to wear out much faster than other vehicles I have owned that could be downshifted on the go while in automatic drive . But like some have said , brake pads are cheap and easy to change . As long as it doesn't involve rotors as well because they can be quite expensive .

·
Registered
2020 escape se awd
51 Posts
Page 206 in the owners manual shows paddle shifters. To use put transmission in manual and shift up or down it dont say at what speeds but I would assume it would be 1 gear per shift and would be good for brake assist while going down hill. Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Page 206 in the owners manual shows paddle shifters. To use put transmission in manual and shift up or down it dont say at what speeds but I would assume it would be 1 gear per shift and would be good for brake assist while going down hill. Mike
Those silly paddle things is what I was referring to with the faint little light that comes on the dash. Can't see that when driving if the sun happens to be shining which happens often and I don't want to be going from highway speed and pulling on those paddles and possibly wreck my my transmission in case it jams it down into low gear on the go . As mentioned before , , that system of using the standard transmission mode is a joke compared to other vehicles' I have owned.
I am taking my trailer out of storage today to flush out the winter antifreeze and get it all ready for spring to fall camping. Then tomorrow I am going on just a one day and overnight camping trip only about 45 minutes from home .Only one major steep downhill grade to contend with about a mile and a half long . Some of the hills through the mountain pass's here are between 5 to 10 miles long up one side and down the other side..
Going to be interesting to see how it goes with my very first trip with this car pulling the same trailer as before .I will probably set my trailer brakes a little harder to help with the wear and tear on the car brakes . I have heard that sport mode will help with the deficiencies of the engine braking capability of F Es so I will give that a try because I never use Sport for normal driving .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts