2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have probably considered a bull bar for your escape. After researching and reviewing online installation instructions I came to the conclusion it was an easy job and ordered this one by Westin off Amazon for my 2017 Escape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FMOPPYU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A word of warning... It likely IS easy for 2013-2016 but NOT 2017/2018 Escapes. Beginning with the 2017 model year Ford has welded a small new plate to the frame on the drivers side which now interferes with installation. This was likely what allowed the 2017 model to improve to "acceptable" in the new "small overlap" crash test performed on the driver's side (Note: this plate is NOT on the passenger side which may be why the 2018 model recently earned a "poor" rating in similar small overlap testing. But this makes the passenger side installation go much more quickly).

Anyway, thanks to my Dremel I was able to remove the plate and install the spacers needed for installation (see photos). However, it was not easy and ended up taking me about 5 hours to install. A lot of this was due to me not being a professional mechanic and not having the best tools. I did not remove the bumper cover but did remove almost all the push pins and screws to give me the flexibility to pull down the bumper cover making it easier to work the wrench. Also, the splash shield underneath required quite a bit of trimming with my Dremel to fit around the brackets. It took a lot of trial and error, trim a little more, try again, etc. But I think you will admit the end result is pretty nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dude, thanks for the heads-up, and the great write-up!

Had been considering one of these by Westin, but had not yet bothered to order it as I think an aftermarket hitch will come first. But, now I know what I'll be getting into, and I appreciate it!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Side note, looks SWEET!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,877 Posts
@eelecurb couldn't you have modified the mounting bracket/ spacers on the bar rather than cutting structural pieces off your subframe?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@eelecurb couldn't you have modified the mounting bracket/ spacers on the bar rather than cutting structural pieces off your subframe?
Fair question. Obviously that would have been my preference but I couldn't figure a way to do it. And while I know Ford added it for a reason I rationalized it by telling myself I'm still just as safe as all the forum members with 2013 - 2016 Escapes who don't have the new bracket. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just put mine on today and it took me roughly 5 hours.... probably more if I didn't know about the metal bracket situation and having to trim the splash guard. I ended up just trimming a bit off of the top of the bracket instead of the metal plate on the car and everything worked out well :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I did. And ? And another thing is I found a link on this post for a bull bar and when clicked on it says it’s not for my escape ? So I want to make sure I find one that’s for it. Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Yes I did. And ? And another thing is I found a link on this post for a bull bar and when clicked on it says it’s not for my escape ? So I want to make sure I find one that’s for it. Thanks
2018 is the same as the 2017. The guy who linked it showed he installed it on a 2017. Not hard to figure out.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
when clicked on it says it’s not for my escape
Probably correct given the modifications mentioned to fit it to later models. It comes up as a correct fit for a 2016.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!
Looking for a bull/grill guard for 2017 Ford Escape Titanium, but the ones I see online all say they will not fit the Titanium. Is there an adapter or modification I can make? Or do you have one you recommend?

Does anyone have pictures of their Titanium with a bull guard? I had a full grill and headlight guard on my 2006 and it saved me quite a few times. It was easier to spray a little matte paint on a grill guard rather than replacing a headlight.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,357 Posts
Hello!
Looking for a bull/grill guard for 2017 Ford Escape Titanium, but the ones I see online all say they will not fit the Titanium. Is there an adapter or modification I can make? Or do you have one you recommend?

Does anyone have pictures of their Titanium with a bull guard? I had a full grill and headlight guard on my 2006 and it saved me quite a few times. It was easier to spray a little matte paint on a grill guard rather than replacing a headlight.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!
I merged our thread with an existing thread on bull bars for your year of Escape. Hopefully some of the other posts will help you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not really, these don’t address the Titanium. I’ve been looking and so far all the ones I’ve found say “excludes titanium”. Hence my question being different than others already posted.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
I’ve been looking and so far all the ones I’ve found say “excludes titanium”.
Probably to do with them blocking the front parking sensors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts