2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in 2018 my wifes dad bought out the lease end on our 2016 titanium Escape for his own daily driver. Ended up in a bad rollover accident through a ditch because of a left of center drunk driver. Fortunately he was not injured, quite lucky and the obviously the escape was totaled, Heres the original salvage auction listing from Copart after the insurance company sent it there.

If you don't know that company auctions damaged, flooded, theft recovery, totaled cars off to people who want to rebuild or use parts from them. Good legitimate business.

Unfortunately theres quite a bit of shady things going on after a sale by the purchasers. Fast forward to now....look whats sitting in a north miami location (thousand miles or more from here) Copart being run back through the auction.....check out the VIN, airbags, mileage, etc in the pics of both listings.

i'll let everyone draw your own conclusions but thats a great example of why you have to be really careful and do your homework before you consider repairing a damaged car or buying a used vehicle from a lot.

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts
It does at least say "partial repair" and "Cert of Title - Salvage". You've got to question how on earth they managed to repair all that damage?

PS: On that Copart advert page if you click on the bottom RHS "EpicVIN Vehicle History Report" it tells you (for free) it's been sold at two auto auctions and there's a little thumbnail showing it wrecked and crumpled up. :D VIN 1fmcu0jx8gua07077 - the Full Information on the Vehicle

Buying any used vehicle I always have in the back of my mind "why are they selling this if there's nothing wrong with it"?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Salvage titles mean something and there's no way to hide it, so I don't think anyone should be fooled into thinking they have a perfect, undamaged vehicle. And frankly, that looks like a good repair job. With the purchase of any car, a test drive will root out some of the worst flaws if there are improper repairs done, and salvage titles always sell at much lower price. Someone should be getting to get a good, low mileage vehicle with some risk for a good deal.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Salvage titles mean something and there's no way to hide it, so I don't think anyone should be fooled into thinking they have a perfect, undamaged vehicle. And frankly, that looks like a good repair job. With the purchase of any car, a test drive will root out some of the worst flaws if there are improper repairs done, and salvage titles always sell at much lower price. Someone should be getting to get a good, low mileage vehicle with some risk for a good deal.
Maybe but I'm sure its still wadded up like a kleenex under those shiny new fenders and things. Also, every airbag in it except for the passenger side dash bag was deployed and I see they are still not replaced. Thats where the real money starts adding up. Like I said the important thing and it was very fortunate he walked right out of that minus a few bruises on his hands....that car took a hell of a ride and did its job of protecting him. We saw the car after the accident and on the rollback truck and it was just an amazing and sobering sight.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Copart is notorious for doctoring up vehicles and blatantly hiding issues that of course are only discovered if you do a THROUGH pre-bid inspection or after you've already closed the deal and go to pick up the car. There are a number of you-tubers that have made it a business to point out what to look for and how to avoid being scammed by CoPart and others in the biz. Things like flood damage, really bad damage including frame damage that is made to look like a minor fender bender to even having the wrong engine in the vehicle and craftily taking pictures of the engine bay from certain angles so you wouldn't be able to tell it has the wrong engine. They blame the sellers and claim they are just a facilitator and cannot be held liable for misrepresentations, etc, etc,ad nauseam

You can sometimes take a VIN from their site and just google it to find out more about the car, its origins, and journey and how it ended up on their site. Pretty scary stuff sometimes like yours OP.

@02fordsvt - technically, you can "hide" a salvage title. Its called title washing/scrubbing. Completely illegal but par-for-the-course with shady dealers and resellers. One of my coworkers many years ago was involved in that garbage. Very "nice" guy but, the more I got to know him, the more "off" he seemed. Once I found that piece out, it all made sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts