1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the question.

2017 SE
Rear doors.
Bottom of the doors is a "bolt" that seems to fit as a male to a female port in the body. On my fronts the "bolt" has a rubber cover that isn't on the rear doors. Is this supposed to be? The "bolt" looks terrible and I really feel like it should be covered up. I've had this for a month now and have noticed a clunkier sound when closing the back doors and this might be why?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Cannot see any bolt on mine, only a rubber plug the same as on the front doors.
Could you please send a pic?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I notice you purchased the car recently and it was ex-lease
This appears to be an add on from the previous lessor/lessee....god knows why.

Mine has nothing in that area on any doors apart from the rubber plug above and I daresay other Escapes are the same in a brief search on the 'net.

I would be inclined to contact the lease company involved and ask them about it as it appears to serve no purpose and should not be there in my view.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My home work says the "male" plug inserted into the female gap keeps the door from folding in a side collision and this makes sense. But seeing if a rubber coating is normal or not.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My home work says the "male" plug inserted into the female gap keeps the door from folding in a side collision and this makes sense. But seeing if a rubber coating is normal or not.
Maybe, but it certainly does not seem to be a standard factory fitting on this model...:)
Perhaps the lessor adds this a a safety feature on all their lease vehicles....only they could tell you that. ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Have the exact same on my '17' SE..Just rear doors too...Can't figure whats the purpose though..Has nothing to do with lease or purchase, bought mine new, fresh from factory..
Oh, ok....does yours have a rubber cover?
Weird that some have this plug and some do not..:unsure:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Normal

7EF078A0-6E5C-4572-A84E-D03C5D413D6B.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have the exact same on my '17' SE..Just rear doors too...Can't figure whats the purpose though..Has nothing to do with lease or purchase, bought mine new, fresh from factory..
Oh, ok....does yours have a rubber cover?
Weird that some have this plug and some do not..:unsure:
America VS the rest of the world?

The bolt, as I've read, fits into the hole in the frame. In case of a side impact, the bolt fitted into the hole can help prevent the door caving in.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well they must have forgotten to put it on my doors... :p.

I think I will complain...that's discrimination :LOL:.

Attachments

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Not sure about the fixation with this part of the lower door. If it is in fact any kind of collision or safety feature the last thing you want to do to it is mess with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure about the fixation with this part of the lower door. If it is in fact any kind of collision or safety feature the last thing you want to do to it is mess with it.
Just a mild fixation in not having an exposed rusty chunk of metal sticking out of my door. I'm weird like that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rear doors have had those for a long time. I've never seen one that looked rusty though. Interesting that it's a US thing only.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rear doors have had those for a long time. I've never seen one that looked rusty though. Interesting that it's a US thing only.
I've got 3 months left on the OG warranty, then from there I have an extended up to 94K miles. I'll be letting the dealer worry about that bolt.

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
68 Posts
1. Sand it
2. Tape around it
3. Paint it
Just remove it with a Torx T-40 bit, prep it and put some "fluid film" on it. Before you screw it back in , check the door panel underneath the "bolt", willing to bet there's rust there too, if so , take care of it ASAP......RUST never sleeps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just remove it with a Torx T-40 bit, prep it and put some "fluid film" on it. Before you screw it back in , check the door panel underneath the "bolt", willing to bet there's rust there too, if so , take care of it ASAP......RUST never sleeps!
I'm from a small island off the coast of MD. I know rust well. It took my 85 CJ7 to the grave. This will be a dealer issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts