2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,767 Posts
More of those unbelievably fast acceleration times!!!

(0-60MPH 7.7sec for the 1.5l EcoBoost and 5.7sec for the 2.0l EcoBoost.)

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
For the right price, you can anyone to say anything about everything. The best review of the Escape is right here. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really don't understand the tone of this "review" which certainly seems like it was written by someone with an axe to grind - especially in the headline. Among other things...
  • They don't like the interior, and I get that, but "chintzy"?
  • Why is a current 1/27/20 review still based on a pre-production model test?
  • "...decibels measured at full throttle might not be high, but the quality of the sound isn't pleasing..." could this not be said about just about any vehicle other than a high-performance sports car?
  • "...its smooth edges and wide stance cut a less aggressive, less modern figure than the last gen's..." the reviewer really thinks the 2020 looks less modern than 3G?? Interesting when comparisons have been made to Porsche Macan.
  • "We hope no one will pay the MSRP for this or any other Escape" (or any other vehicle on the planet?) Ok, thank you for that helpful insight:rolleyes:.
With the good things in the review about the base engine, ride and safety features, it seems that a more balanced take was in order. As is, it sounds like your loud brother-in-law arguing politics at the Sunday dinner table.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really don't understand the tone of this "review" which certainly seems like it was written by someone with an axe to grind - especially in the headline. Among other things...
  • Why is a current 1/27/20 review still based on a pre-production model test?
  • "...decibels measured at full throttle might not be high, but the quality of the sound isn't pleasing..." could this not be said about just about any vehicle other than a high-performance sports car?
  • "...its smooth edges and wide stance cut a less aggressive, less modern figure than the last gen's..." the reviewer really thinks the 2020 looks less modern than 3G?? Interesting when comparisons have been made to Porsche Macan.
  • "We hope no one will pay the MSRP for this or any other Escape" (or any other vehicle on the planet?) Ok, thank you for that helpful insight:rolleyes:.
With the good things in the review about the base engine, ride and safety features, it seems that a more balanced take was in order. As is, it sounds like your loud brother-in-law arguing politics at the Sunday dinner table.
...and on the other hand, there are many reviews on YouTube that love the 2020. I just take it all with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
783 Posts
The author is at least honest; her opening and closing are not about the car, it's about her problem with Ford, which colors the entire review.

She's a car guy, and resents Ford's corporate direction away from sedans.
"Ford's Fiesta and Focus... are fun to drive, practical, and affordable...."

The real question is why C&D assigned a biased writer to do the review. Yeah, I know; where do they get an unbiased writer?

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
72 Posts
The interior: the divots in the door panels are unusual. But overall I like the interior and layout. I find it easier to access most things without looking, and that’s a good thing. I would have done the volume controls on the steering wheel differently, but with the knob being easy enough to reach its not a huge deal.

the exterior: to me it looks both more aggressive and more modern than the previous generation. Quite frankly, the previous model was the only design I didn’t like. It looked far too “mini-minivanish” to me.
But styling is entirely personal, so I usually ignore a reviewers comments on style/looks, that’s the kind of thing I can judge for myself when I sit in it and look around it.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,767 Posts
At the end of the day, you should buy whatever vehicle suits you best. Use any reviews (positive or otherwise) purely as info and check any highlighted areas for yourself.

There's little point in getting upset because someone criticises a vehicle you like or own. Styling in particular is a very personal choice. Plenty of people will buy a car purely on it's exterior and interior appearance and wouldn't have a clue (and care little ) on the mechanical aspects of the vehicle. Reviews are often written to cater for that type of buyer.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
More of those unbelievably fast acceleration times!!!

(0-60MPH 7.7sec for the 1.5l EcoBoost and 5.7sec for the 2.0l EcoBoost.)
Yep....I think they are out/ambitious by about 1 second in each case.

This review says 8.4 secs. for the 1.5L and 6.9 secs.for the 2L which sounds closer
to the mark and still impressive for a SUV.

Depends on the reviewer I suppose.

·
Registered
694 Posts
the exterior: to me it looks both more aggressive and more modern than the previous generation. Quite frankly, the previous model was the only design I didn’t like. It looked far too “mini-minivanish” to me.
But styling is entirely personal, so I usually ignore a reviewers comments on style/looks, that’s the kind of thing I can judge for myself when I sit in it and look around it.
It looks too much like a RAVForester to me. Smaller SUVs are all looking alike these days.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It looks too much like a RAVForester to me. Smaller SUVs are all looking alike these days.
i don’t think they look even remotely alike. The current forester bears some moderate resemblance to the 2013-2019 escape but the 2020 is a pretty big departure in design.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,184 Posts
i don’t think they look even remotely alike. The current forester bears some moderate resemblance to the 2013-2019 escape but the 2020 is a pretty big departure in design.
I totally agree with this. You sure can’t mistake either a Rav or a Forester for the 2020 FE.

·
Registered
2020 2.0 AWD SEL
59 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just went from a 2017 2.0 AWD SE to a 2.0 AWD SEL and to me, Ford hit it out of the park with the 4th gen Escape. The front space feels roomier, rear seats slide back, touch screen is in an acceptable location (no doubt Ford Legal influenced), and oh yes, the 2.0 engine block redesign on the 2.0 and new coolant! The front interior gives me the feel of driving a larger vehicle and I do not feel like I am in a cockpit sort of like I did the the 2017. Yes, Ford's competitors have some nice vehicles but for me, the 2.0 AWD is just plain fun to drive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got the 2.0 AWD SEL as well and am really enjoying it. For 20 years I had 6 cyl sedans and probably didn't need all of that weight. This is the perfect balance between that and the SE 3 cly i drove. I was originally looking at an Edge but did feel like I was in a cockpit as well - similar to when they expanded the Taurus years ago.
I also have been going to the same dealership for several decades and that a a role in it as well. I went to some auto shows the last few years and the only thing I liked as much as my ford was the Subaru Legacy; but I did not want to switch brands during this time and really like how the steering on the 2.0 handles

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes, Ford's competitors have some nice vehicles but for me, the 2.0 AWD is just plain fun to drive.
That's exactly what sold me on 2.0. Performance and handling is just well balanced. The amount of fun for a low price is unbelievable and competition can't match that yet.

I realize majority is flocking efficient cars with high MPGs but 2.0 is unexpectedly exceeded EPA for hwy MPG without trying too hard unlike hybrid I had before.

·
Registered
2020 escape se awd
102 Posts
Speaking of reviews Motorweek just named the Mustang Mach E. as their Drivers Choice Award for Best of the Year also bronco sport utility received the award for Beast Small Utility and the Ford F-150 Best full size truck. The bronco has the escape platform and the Mustang a derivative of the escapes platform. (My Review) gives my se awd high marks for handling and braking 90 plus ft 60 to 0. in contrast the entry level Mercedes 110 plus per Motorweek. I do believe my se in sport mode is capable of 0-60 in 7.7 sec. Also high marks in mpg 34 to 35 combination driving. The top mark Safety absolutely awesome. It does not have a down side at this moment of my life.mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.