2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered, but I was unable to find anything in a search. I am getting a 2013 or 2014 Escape and am planning on getting the factory roof rack rails and crossbars. I am planning on using a cargo box for skis/snowshoes/etc. I want to know if anyone out there has put a long enough one on to hold skis and had any trouble w/ the rear hatch hitting it?
We have a subaru outback and the rear hatch hits the rear of the box when fully opened. We are unable to move the box any farther forward without drilling new mounting holes. It looks like we will need a low profile (~12" high) box due to garage door height. Any been there done that?
thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link to the site. That is really nice to look at so many boxes in one place. I am still looking for real world experience w/ the hatch clearance on a long box. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Yakima Skybox 12. I also have the Pano roof with Yakima round bars. My box works great. The only other modification I had to do was to put a Stubby antenna on the car. I have not problem with the lift gate. I will fit skis. We use it for long trips and the stroller rides up there great with other gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the Yakima Skybox 12. I also have the Pano roof with Yakima round bars. My box works great. The only other modification I had to do was to put a Stubby antenna on the car. I have not problem with the lift gate. I will fit skis. We use it for long trips and the stroller rides up there great with other gear.

Edit to clarify: Do you have the factory cross bars and have you tried it with them? I'm looking at that box but don't want to buy new cross bars

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried the box with the factory cross bars. It had alot of wobble. I have the Yakima rail grabs with round bars. They work absolutely awesome with the box. No wobble and very stable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried the box with the factory cross bars. It had alot of wobble. I have the Yakima rail grabs with round bars. They work absolutely awesome with the box. No wobble and very stable.
Thanks for the feedback. The wobble notwithstanding, did the box fit on the factory bars without blocking the hatch?

Just curious - I'm planning to buy the Yakima bars based on your experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The box did fit on the factory bars without blocking the hatch. You have to adjust the box mounts almost all the way to the back which helps with the wobble. The fact that the factory bars are none adjustable across the whole vehicle is a huge downfall. The Yakima bars allowed me to spead the bars farther apart. I will recommend that you put a stubby antenna on the car that way you can mount the box a little further back. I mount mine where there is approximately an inch from the hatch when it is at full open.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my yakima bars and mounts off of Craigslist due to budgetary restraints. If i could do it all over again i would go with the Whispbar. The Skybox will work on those as well.

As for blocking the hatch. It does not block the hatch at all. The box mounts slide within the box so that you can fine tune the mounting. The back of the box is also slanted for hatches.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi - I just read through the thread and it had the info I was looking for. I was thinking of getting a cargo box and I added the factory crossbars when I purchased the vehicle just for that reason. I'm sad to hear that the Yakima cargo box wobbles a bit on the factory bars, I didn't really want to spend more money to get another set of crossbars and Yakima was one of the brands I was looking at. I plan on getting everything through craigslist due to budgetary reasons too. I guess I can sell the factory ones to recoup some of my money.

I did have a couple of questions if anyone is able to answer...

Does this Yakima Skybox let any water in at all? I've read a few reviews on some cargo boxes that due, mainly because the wind force will lift the lid a bit.

Are there any other brand cargo boxes that anyone else uses on the factory crossbars that fit well and do not wobble?

I wanted one that can hold skis when needed but also hold bulkier items like backpacks and duffel bags (maybe small suitcases) when we're just traveling so the thin ones are no good for what I need. I guess I would need the ones that are about 16" in height, didn't know if the super long ones (90"+) would fit on the Escape without hindering the hatch opening but now I see that it doesn't.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A little late to this party...
Can anyone further describe the “wobble”?
Is the wobble related to the crossbars not being secure (but the box is secured tightly to the crossbar)?
Or alternately, is the wobble from the box not being able to secure tightly to the crossbars?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts