2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was somewhere in here but, I can't find it. I just got a 2020 Escape SE. The sales woman promised a cargo cover. That came in but they don't know how to install it. I saw a few pics of it already installed in here. I searched a lot of different ways but, still couldn't find it. Can someone either point me in the right direction or put a pic of yours already installed?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I know this was somewhere in here but, I can't find it. I just got a 2020 Escape SE. The sales woman promised a cargo cover. That came in but they don't know how to install it. I saw a few pics of it already installed in here. I searched a lot of different ways but, still couldn't find it. Can someone either point me in the right direction or put a pic of yours already installed?

Welcome to the board. I do not have that model. However, if it is setup like my 2016 and 2018, there should be indentations on the left and right side near the rear seat top looking from the back that the cover assembly fits into. My assembly is spring loaded and requires just a litttle side movement to allow it to fit into those indentations. Ii could be different for the 2020.

·
Registered
482 Posts
....However, if it is setup like my 2016 and 2018....Ii could be different for the 2020.
Totally new design for the 2020....I ordered the cargo shade with my vehicle....it came installed. Hopefully this helps. IIRC there’s a post on this forum saying the clips don’t come standard without the shade....I don’t know if that’s true or what thread it was on. Btw unbelievable that a dealer doesn’t know this....push them harder to do their job!

·
Registered
19 Posts

See my post #42 under topic " Things you don’t like about the 2020+ Escapes " in the 4G Ford Escape General Discussion .

·
Registered
59 Posts
To attach the cargo shade you’ll need to either:

1) replace 2 or 3 entire interior trim panels (depending if it is using the new updated gate hooks from jon_688’s references post, or the original clip style earlier in that thread).

2) have the files referenced earlier in that thread printed on a 3D printer and attach them. (If you do this, make sure they’re printed out of a material that can withstand interior car heat in summer).

since the dealer sold it to you and ordered the cover promising to make it work, you might be able to put them on the hook for replacing the necessary trim panels.

·
Registered
93 Posts
FWIW, inability to install options isn't limited to the cargo cover. I have a factory-installed block heater whose harness was not routed before delivery. The dealer is clueless; their "solution" uses 1/2 the harness mounting clips, and the plug is not accessible with the hood closed. It's not hard to see where it's supposed to go....

Best of luck!

Stay well,
Frank

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To attach the cargo shade you’ll need to either:

1) replace 2 or 3 entire interior trim panels (depending if it is using the new updated gate hooks from jon_688’s references post, or the original clip style earlier in that thread).

2) have the files referenced earlier in that thread printed on a 3D printer and attach them. (If you do this, make sure they’re printed out of a material that can withstand interior car heat in summer).

since the dealer sold it to you and ordered the cover promising to make it work, you might be able to put them on the hook for replacing the necessary trim panels.
Thanks!! Bought the car as long as it had one. Sales lady promised it would happen. Now, they have the shade and are ordering the rest of the parts and will install them. She said all together, it was around $600.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Thanks!! Bought the car as long as it had one. Sales lady promised it would happen. Now, they have the shade and are ordering the rest of the parts and will install them. She said all together, it was around $600.
Hopefully dealer is picking up all costs for you to have one if it was part of the new car sale. Anything in writing?

·
Registered
59 Posts
hopefully, you’re not being charged more than approximately $150 for the cover itself and they’re eating the rest of those charges. $600 does sound about right for the amount of panels needed.

adding the cargo shade during a “build your own” of the car is about $140.The shade itself can be purchased online for prices varying between $112(what I paid) up to $180(MSRP)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hopefully, you’re not being charged more than approximately $150 for the cover itself and they’re eating the rest of those charges. $600 does sound about right for the amount of panels needed.

adding the cargo shade during a “build your own” of the car is about $140.The shade itself can be purchased online for prices varying between $112(what I paid) up to $180(MSRP)
where did you buy your car cover from?

·
Registered
59 Posts
where did you buy your car cover from?
i searched the PN on google and found the lowest price from many different ford dealers both locally and distant. I got it for $115. You can also use the FordPass rewards to order it if you don’t want to use those for scheduled maintenance (I got the maintenance plan thrown in with the car). But to do that you’ll need to go in person to the maintenance department and order the part there.

This is the PN, note that you’ll also need the attachment pieces, those can be 3D printed from a file in the “things you don’t like about the escape” thread.

Cover - Ford (LJ6Z-78550A74-AA)

And this is where I bought it:Cover LJ6Z-78550A74-AA | Sunrise Ford Parts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD (non-premium package so it has the cool solid black rims)
15 Posts
Thx for all of this info.

My rear panels have a circular flat spot when the anchor tabs would typically go. Is this the same for others who did not have the cargo cover installed from the factory?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thx for all of this info.

My rear panels have a circular flat spot when the anchor tabs would typically go. Is this the same for others who did not have the cargo cover installed from the factory?
as of the early models, yes. They all have this flat circle.
I’ve been having trouble with 2 aspects:

1) the 3D printed plastics are warping in the California heat.

Making an attachment knob out of metal/wood now, and going to bend some metal straps for the other attachment points.

2) can’t seem to get sticky pads to stay stuck to the car interior panels in those flat circles. The glue weakens (possibly
Also the heat) on the 3M adhesives I bought. Debating what I want to do about the adhesive

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD (non-premium package so it has the cool solid black rims)
15 Posts
That is interesting. One site I visited to 3D print those parts suggested the thickness be increased on the straps to prevent breakage or warping. The pieces could be produced with several different material to include metal (pricey as all get out). I was thinking polyamide MJF.

Also in my mind, I was thinking about how to come behind the flat spot and drive a screw into the knob.

The shield running $120ish and the knobs and straps about $25 with printing seemed worth it, if it works on a more permanent basis.

Please keep us updated. I would like to know how it turns out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts