2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
If you FB message me. Linda Parra-Alvarez. Ford really dropped ball on this. I ordered cover and clips from my brother in law that works at a ford dealer and no one knew how to install. Also I think it's about 2" too short. They had to drill 4 holes, 1 in right rear trim panel, 1 in left rear trim panel, 2 holes in hatch trim panel. You will need to install 1 clip in each hole.
I'll try to attach pics later today.
Btw it took Ford about 20 min to install and they didnt charge me because I was their guinea pig馃槉
I would also recommend Ford Installing because if they mess up anything they would need to replace. If you take it somewhere else then your out of pocket for the cost of whatever damage they do. View attachment 77685 View attachment 77686 View attachment 77687 View attachment 77688
Hi. I'm in the same boat with this! Do you know what the new part numbers are for these new clips are?? I have the part number for the shade and it seems that all online places are jacking the price way up. Thanks for any information that you can pass along.

Registered
2020 Escape
If you FB message me. Linda Parra-Alvarez. Ford really dropped ball on this. I ordered cover and clips from my brother in law that works at a ford dealer and no one knew how to install. Also I think it's about 2" too short. They had to drill 4 holes, 1 in right rear trim panel, 1 in left rear trim panel, 2 holes in hatch trim panel. You will need to install 1 clip in each hole.
I'll try to attach pics later today.
Btw it took Ford about 20 min to install and they didnt charge me because I was their guinea pig馃槉
I would also recommend Ford Installing because if they mess up anything they would need to replace. If you take it somewhere else then your out of pocket for the cost of whatever damage they do. View attachment 77685 View attachment 77686 View attachment 77687 View attachment 77688
Do you happen to have the Ford part numbers for the attachment hardware?

Looks like I just duplicated jpmd70鈥檚 post and request.

it appears a few of us are looking for the OEM solution to this. I have the shade, just need the OEM parts to attach it.

Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD (non-premium package so it has the cool solid black rims)
Hi. I'm in the same boat with this! Do you know what the new part numbers are for these new clips are?? I have the part number for the shade and it seems that all online places are jacking the price way up. Thanks for any information that you can pass along.
I believe these to be the factory clips.

It is also my believe that this is the Ford part #LJ6Z00817AA

Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
Unfortunately there is no way to use the Ford clips without drilling and shaping oval holes in the rear hatch trim.
Since you'll need the side trim buttons anyway you're better off with the 3D printed clips, I got all 4 parts printed for $18.

I made the mistake of buying the Ford clips under the assumption that if there weren't pop out plugs (didn't bother to look at the hatch trim first) there would at least be mold marks on the inside of the hatch trim which there weren't.

The clips that are listed in the parts diagram and shown in the attachment on the side trim in the earlier post are actually the hatch clips. There are no part numbers for the side buttons that the cords attach to as these are a cast part of the rear trim.

LJ6Z-7831013-BA DRIVER SIDE, w/package tray
LJ6Z-7831012-BB PASSENGER SIDE, w/package tray
LJ6Z-7842906-CA Power Lift Gate with package tray
LJ6Z-7842906-DA Standard Lift Gate with package tray

Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD (non-premium package so it has the cool solid black rims)
Yes, there are no part numbers for the side buttons as they are part of the upper panel trim. That part has two variants, one with the package test, and one without.

I have seen cargo net buttons however they are T shaped and not mushroom shaped. While the T shaped button has a threaded base to screw into a trim panel, I suspect the T shape would not be conducive to the rotating operation of the looped end of the package tray cord.

Registered
Hi guys,

I managed to get everything but have no clue at all on where to drill the hatch trim holes.

Also, since those retainers are L-shaped, don't know what their up and down sides are either...

Can somebody having a factory installed cover please take and upload photos showing somehow where those hatch clips are?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: i think there should be some kinda marks on the inside of the trim but couldn't find how to remove it.
If somebody gives me a brief summary of the steps, I'll certainly remove and check it.

Registered
Hi guys,

I managed to get everything but have no clue at all on where to drill the hatch trim holes.

Also, since those retainers are L-shaped, don't know what their up and down sides are either...

Can somebody having a factory installed cover please take and upload photos showing somehow where those hatch clips are?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: i think there should be some kinda marks on the inside of the trim but couldn't find how to remove it.
If somebody gives me a brief summary of the steps, I'll certainly remove and check it.
Do the pics at post #20 help?

Registered
Not really...i checked those as well as a few others I found on the internet but none gives a minimum degree of precision.

Was thinking about going to a dealership with a paper measuring tape, put it down from the window level and take it a photo (guess could get their horizontal position to some degree by presenting the cover but not their height).

Problem is I know the few local dealerships here will not be "cooperative" at all for that...

Registered
Ok, so, I removed all the hatch trims hoping there were going to be some markings for the holes.

That was not the case so if somebody is going this way, don't bother removing them.

For the anchors height, I realized it should be such that the cover is level with the upper part of the plastic trim. Then for their separation, measured their distance in the cover and split it in two.

In summary: 10cm from the edge of the plastic (where it meets the window glass) and 32cm from the middle.

With that info, marked the center of the oval holes and then a rectangle representing them before drilling.

Some notes:
  • The holes dimensions are in inches, not millimeters...
  • Not really needed if the oval holes are relatively well done but, just in case, put glue on the retainers before inserting them as well as some more in the inside of the trim
  • Used a chalk marker for this project (1st time I use it and glad I did, it's really convenient!)
  • For the holes in the side trims, just drill a 3/8in in the center of the round spots
  • For the oval ones, can't drill two 3/8in holes because they overlap too much. I just did two holes with a much smaller bit and then made them bigger
Adding some photos in case somebody wants to do the same I did. But, again, it's pointless to remove all the trims and kinda PITA reinserting them.

Anchor on the side trim:
PXL_20210327_164840032.jpg

32cm from the center:
PXL_20210326_223933933.MP.jpg

10cm from the edge
PXL_20210326_222212017.jpg

Units for the holes turned out to be imperial not metric (bummer!):
PXL_20210327_175105187.jpg

Hole limits:
PXL_20210327_151551712.jpg

Once finished:
PXL_20210327_161524370.jpg

Closer look:
PXL_20210327_161513278.jpg

Glue from the inside:
PXL_20210327_161456038.jpg

Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
Ok, so, I removed all the hatch trims hoping there were going to be some markings for the holes.

That was not the case so if somebody is going this way, don't bother removing them.

For the anchors height, I realized it should be such that the cover is level with the upper part of the plastic trim. Then for their separation, measured their distance in the cover and split it in two.

In summary: 10cm from the edge of the plastic (where it meets the window glass) and 32cm from the middle.

With that info, marked the center of the oval holes and then a rectangle representing them before drilling.

Some notes:
  • The holes dimensions are in inches, not millimeters...
  • Not really needed if the oval holes are relatively well done but, just in case, put glue on the retainers before inserting them as well as some more in the inside of the trim
  • Used a chalk marker for this project (1st time I use it and glad I did, it's really convenient!)
  • For the holes in the side trims, just drill a 3/8in in the center of the round spots
  • For the oval ones, can't drill two 3/8in holes because they overlap too much. I just did two holes with a much smaller bit and then made them bigger
Adding some photos in case somebody wants to do the same I did. But, again, it's pointless to remove all the trims and kinda PITA reinserting them.

Anchor on the side trim:
View attachment 78933
32cm from the center:
View attachment 78939
10cm from the edge
View attachment 78940
Units for the holes turned out to be imperial not metric (bummer!):
View attachment 78932
Hole limits:
View attachment 78935
Once finished:
View attachment 78941
Closer look:
View attachment 78942
Glue from the inside:
View attachment 78934
I'm curious what you've used for the round hangers on the side panels? Someone else mentioned you have to buy the entire side panel with the tray anchor, but you said you drilled 3/8" holes and installed them. It's there a part number for these anchors?

Registered
I'm curious what you've used for the round hangers on the side panels? Someone else mentioned you have to buy the entire side panel with the tray anchor, but you said you drilled 3/8" holes and installed them. It's there a part number for these anchors?
Exactly, you don't need to buy a whole new panel. Same thing that with the hangers in the hatch: they are separate, individual parts that are inserted into the holes.
Guess you could get something really similar from, say, IKEA if you can't get them from Ford.

Registered
Exactly, you don't need to buy a whole new panel. Same thing that with the hangers in the hatch: they are separate, individual parts that are inserted into the holes.
Guess you could get something really similar from, say, IKEA if you can't get them from Ford.
Where did you get your round anchors?

Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost

Registered

So I got the 3D printed ones but the round anchor broke when the hubs was putting in a spare tire, then I found these Volvo floor mat clips and I like them better.. they are beefier in the neck and won't break but will come off in one piece if the adhesive gives up. So far in this Texas heat the 3M VHB has held up.

Registered

Same base diameter but the necks are definitely much stronger looking on the Volvo floor mat clips. The black color on the Volvo mat clips also better match my escape's black interior, the 3D printed ones are a darker black.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts