2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD (non-premium package so it has the cool solid black rims)
27 Posts
The factory carpeting leaves two wells, one on the left and one on the right. Those wells are sufficiently deep that a rubberized mat would be able to fall into the well without some sort of reinforcement.

I suspect as a matter of preference, if you want those
two wells covered, a mat that lays down into the well would be idea.

I attached some photos I just took to give you a better look.

I hope those help whichever decision you make.

EDIT: The OEM image is not the 4th Gen Escape. That may add to any discrepancy. The Weathertech images state they are representative. I would seek to verify if those images are a 4th Gen.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
68 Posts
The factory carpeting leaves two wells, one on the left and one on the right. Those wells are sufficiently deep that a rubberized mat would be able to fall into the well without some sort of reinforcement.

I suspect as a matter of preference, if you want those two wells covered, a mat that lays down into the well would be idea.

I attached some photos I just took to give you a better look.

I hope those help whichever decision you make.

EDIT: The OEM image is not the 4th Gen Escape. That may add to any discrepancy. The Weathertech images state they are representative. I would seek to verify if those images are a 4th Gen.
Thanks very much for the time you took to answer me & to take those photos. They helped a lot. I might check with WeatherTech, but I can see how the mat wouldn't easily cover the wells without some sort of reinforcement.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
68 Posts
So, as I look at the helpful pictures of the OEM, Smartliner, and WeatherTech cargo mats, I notice the following:
  1. The size of the lip in the OEM mat is the lowest/smallest of the three. The Smartliner has a a larger lip around most of it, but it gets smaller near the rear, for some reason. The WeatherTech has the largest size lip. In the real world, does the size the lip matter?
  2. The anti-skid feature is implemented quite differently on the three mats.
    1. The WeatherTech has a uniform series of squares alternating with grooves.
    2. The Smartliner has larger uniform areas toward the rear...perhaps so that it is easier to slide items as they get closer to the hatch?
    3. The OEM mat has this weird-but-neat-looking series of front/back ridges that vary in separation. Is this decorative only, or does it serve a real purpose?
    4. What difference do folks think the nature of the anti-skid feature makes?
  3. The WeatherTech has some small cutouts on each side near the rear seats. It’s easier to see that in the picture of the white WeatherTech mat shown in an early post in this thread. It’s just idle curiosity, but I wonder why WeatherTech made the mat this way...

·
Registered
64 Posts
So, as I look at the helpful pictures of the OEM, Smartliner, and WeatherTech cargo mats, I notice the following:
  1. The size of the lip in the OEM mat is the lowest/smallest of the three. The Smartliner has a a larger lip around most of it, but it gets smaller near the rear, for some reason. The WeatherTech has the largest size lip. In the real world, does the size the lip matter?
  2. The anti-skid feature is implemented quite differently on the three mats.
    1. The WeatherTech has a uniform series of squares alternating with grooves.
    2. The Smartliner has larger uniform areas toward the rear...perhaps so that it is easier to slide items as they get closer to the hatch?
    3. The OEM mat has this weird-but-neat-looking series of front/back ridges that vary in separation. Is this decorative only, or does it serve a real purpose?
    4. What difference do folks think the nature of the anti-skid feature makes?
  3. The WeatherTech has some small cutouts on each side near the rear seats. It’s easier to see that in the picture of the white WeatherTech mat shown in an early post in this thread. It’s just idle curiosity, but I wonder why WeatherTech made the mat this way...
Don't over think it, they all do what they were designed to do. It's just a cover, not a Rolex.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium AWD
3 Posts
I just picked up my 2020 Escape today and I am wondering if any of these three options are "grippier" than the others?

I had an OEM cargo liner for my '14 Escape (also transferred to my '17). It was great for protecting the carpeting, but things slid around a lot on that mat and ended up scratching up the plastic side panels of the cargo area. I'd like to have something where bags/boxes don't slide around so much.

I'm leaning towards Weathertech liners for the front and 2nd row where I'm not as concerned about the grip, but I'm very unsure for the cargo area.

-Chris

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid
15 Posts
If you're concerned about the mat's grip I recommend Velcro.
I haven't really looked at the cargo area carpeting to see if it would work there, but we use velcro for the weathertechs in the front since repeated entering and exiting combined with poor resting foot placement has caused the outer edges of many of our mats to fold in. If you plan on repeatedly removing the cargoliner it will definitely tear up the carpet. If it is there to stay and only be removed once in a blue moon I would say do it, but again that depends on how thick the carpeting is on the rear cargo area.
I was lazy so I put the factory carpet mats laid out nicely in the rear to cover most of the area after I put the front and rear weathertech floormats in, covers most of it nicely.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium AWD
3 Posts
If you're concerned about the mat's grip I recommend Velcro.
I haven't really looked at the cargo area carpeting to see if it would work there, but we use velcro for the weathertechs in the front since repeated entering and exiting combined with poor resting foot placement has caused the outer edges of many of our mats to fold in. If you plan on repeatedly removing the cargoliner it will definitely tear up the carpet. If it is there to stay and only be removed once in a blue moon I would say do it, but again that depends on how thick the carpeting is on the rear cargo area.
I was lazy so I put the factory carpet mats laid out nicely in the rear to cover most of the area after I put the front and rear weathertech floormats in, covers most of it nicely.
Thanks for the suggestion! I should clarify though, its not the mat itself that was moving around on the carpet, but everything on top of the mat (grocery bags, boxes, etc) would slide all over on the mat. That's what ended up scratching up the interior sides of the cargo area on my 2017.

-Chris

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD (non-premium package so it has the cool solid black rims)
27 Posts
Smartliner purchase here. Nothing to note as far as sliding around, however, I am a featherfoot behind the wheel with his hybrid.

I keep a plastic egg crate with some supplies and packable shopping bags. Nothing significant in mass.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid
15 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! I should clarify though, its not the mat itself that was moving around on the carpet, but everything on top of the mat (grocery bags, boxes, etc) would slide all over on the mat. That's what ended up scratching up the interior sides of the cargo area on my 2017.
LOL, I should have read your first post better, I see what you mean now.

I've always had too much junk on top of the cargoliners to ever try the weathertech branded cargo retention deals, but they look like they're just corner shaped bits intended to hold stuff in between and look like they're meant for a box not a grocery bag.
Putting anything too grippy, like grip tape, on top of the mat would just tear or dump bags. And a cargo organizer might keep things from sliding by instead sliding itself. No dumped bags, but maybe still causing scratches.

I feel it would be backwards to suggest covering the interior side panels.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium FWD in Persian Green
16 Posts
Finally picked up my (ordered in February) Titanium Hybrid today! Anyone else super bummed that having the backseats in their most forward position leaves such a huge gap in the standard liner?
Any aftermarket suggestions that help? I’m thinking one that maybe has the extra flap at the back end, that can fold upright when seats are all the way back, but lays flat when seats move forward...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts