2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2016 Ford Escape Titanium. I was exctied to have Synch 3 after my previous Escape having just the basic synch. I found out the car was still on version 1. I tried everything to upgrade myself via USB and after hours gave up. Took it to a dealer and he got it to the most current synch 3 3.0 build 20204. Right away it seemed like not all changes I thought came with 3.0 were there but I figured I would give it a bit of time. I also ordered directly from Ford the USB hub that is compatible with CarPlay. My husband and I installed it and I excitedly plugged in my iPhone and ... nothing. I called and chatted with Ford. They were baffled. Gave up and took it back to the dealer. He was baffled. He said everything "looks" and tests correct so he has no idea why CarPlay won't work. And unless I wanted him to start ripping the car apart there was nothing more he could do. He said he would try and consult with people above him.

Does anyone have any ideas? Help! Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, do people have screenshots of their 3.0 Build 20204 Home Screen? I still have the navigation icon as the star and not the arrow and thought that was part of the update. Also, I thought the 3.0 update included manual search for updates button which mine does not have. I also read the icons for CarPlay and Android auto are supposed to appear with the 3.0 even if not used. Just seems I am missing some files of the 3.0 update.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
Assuming of course the part is HC3Z-19A387-B or higher and not GC3Z-19A387-C...

Slight edit here since I went looking for pics, 3.0.20204 has the arrow for NAV, so what does your screen show when you go into about Sync?
Android Auto or CarPlay only show if there is a device plugged in that it recognizes.
BTW have you verified the cable?
Some of the USB charging cables out there are missing the data wires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for responding! I still have the star as the navigation icon. Yes, I upgraded with the correct model part except the newest has an E at the end and not the B (which is simply color around the USB port.) The E supersedes the B and the service manager at Ford confirmed I had the correct hub.
My guess is that not all files activated even though it SAYS it is update to 3.0 build 20204.

But I would wonder why it didn't work correctly.

I have the files on a USB drive from when I tried myself and am thinking of plugging that back in and seeing if it updates anything else.

So strange no matter what

Assuming of course the part is HC3Z-19A387-B or higher and not GC3Z-19A387-C...

Slight edit here since I went looking for pics, 3.0.20204 has the arrow for NAV, so what does your screen show when you go into about Sync?
Android Auto or CarPlay only show if there is a device plugged in that it recognizes.
BTW have you verified the cable?
Some of the USB charging cables out there are missing the data wires.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It sounds like all of the files didn't get copied over.
When you retry your update, try using a USB drive formatted as exFat and also make sure nothing is plugged into the other USB port.
Normal update time for this is ~30 minutes, (in my case I do them coming home for running errands) and you want to give the car about 10 minutes after you turn off the ignition before you check it for functionality.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also, do people have screenshots of their 3.0 Build 20204 Home Screen? I still have the navigation icon as the star and not the arrow and thought that was part of the update. Also, I thought the 3.0 update included manual search for updates button which mine does not have. I also read the icons for CarPlay and Android auto are supposed to appear with the 3.0 even if not used. Just seems I am missing some files of the 3.0 update.
Note that the icon appears only if the phone is plugged in and enabled. When plugged in it should default to CarPlay but if you hit the sync/ford button it shows a unique graphic for the menu buttons along the bottom including a carplay one. I have the arrow but can’t remember what it was before the update

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thank you so much for responding! I still have the star as the navigation icon. Yes, I upgraded with the correct model part except the newest has an E at the end and not the B (which is simply color around the USB port.) The E supersedes the B and the service manager at Ford confirmed I had the correct hub.
My guess is that not all files activated even though it SAYS it is update to 3.0 build 20204.

But I would wonder why it didn't work correctly.

I have the files on a USB drive from when I tried myself and am thinking of plugging that back in and seeing if it updates anything else.

So strange no matter what
Does everything else work from the new USB hub as it would have before the update? Like will music play and the phone charge? I feel like there were maybe 2 places to plug it in when I installed my new hub, if anything isn’t working otherwise maybe it’s not securely connected?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The USB module has two (2) plugs on the back, one is a USB A mini and the other is a four (4) pin connector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you!! That is what I had done before. Seems like it is worth a try. I had tried on my own for about three hours going from 1.0 to 3.0 and it didn't work. I read others took about 4 hours so I guess I gave up too soon. The dealer took less than two hours so I am suspicious that that is what happened... just didn't receive all the files. Just enough apparently to still say it is 3.0 20204 but not with all of it.

Gonna try that and see what happens!
Does everything else work from the new USB hub as it would have before the update? Like will music play and the phone charge? I feel like there were maybe 2 places to plug it in when I installed my new hub, if anything isn’t working otherwise maybe it’s not securely connected?
I wondered that too but it works fine and the dealership verified it is working fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The USB module has two (2) plugs on the back, one is a USB A mini and the other is a four (4) pin connector.
we had no problem plugging it in and it works fine except for CarPlay. I still think the file transfer was incomplete. I am driving it tomorrow and redownloaded the Ford files to another USB and hope if files are missing that it completes it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Note that the icon appears only if the phone is plugged in and enabled. When plugged in it should default to CarPlay but if you hit the sync/ford button it shows a unique graphic for the menu buttons along the bottom including a carplay one. I have the arrow but can’t remember what it was before the update
The star is before the update. That is one reason I believe it didn't complete because I still have that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So. In car now. Put in USB. Says updating system software. Would it say that if it is already complete?

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
If you are using an Apple iPhone, I just noticed that one of the items corrected by an Apple update is “CarPlay sometimes fails to connect to third party apps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When it's complete you'll get a message that the USB can be removed.
35 minutes to my daughter's place. No change. Tried on my way home. No change. Just says updating system. If it is missing files gonna need to think of a long drive somewhere. Don't want it running for hours again. It is just discouraging that I can't seem to get it to cooperate.

If it were a complete install at the dealer
I do not believe it would still say updating system.

This is wearying.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I would suggest the reason it is still saying 'updating system' is because you are trying a fresh update over the top of the dealer's update which is fine.
Also if you drove 35 minutes to your daughter's place and turned the car off possibly the updating would recommence when you were driving home but more likely it would restart again and hasn't had a chance to complete..
Perhaps you could go on a long trip or even leave the car running at home until it indicates the update is complete as sometimes it can take 60 minutes or so with your particular update.
Another tip, if it gets to the stage where it advises you to remove the USB stick wait for a short time to see if the system reboots and asks you to remove the USB stick a second time as often this can affect the completion of the update and the dealer may not have done that.
If it does not reboot it is fine to remove the stick, turn the car off and restart it to check functionality 10 minutes or so later as advised previously.

·
Registered
238 Posts
For reference when I did the update it was about 40-45 minutes into my drive that it completed. Was pleasantly surprised I could still listen to SXM radio and use all functions while it did its thing. It will notify you when updates are complete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts