2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to remove my rear light assembly yesterday, but wow, it doesn't just pop off like the manual suggests.

I have a 2015. Any one have some tipss or pictures on how to remove the rear lamp assembly?

Thanks. --mike

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Your not pulling hard enough. Once you remove those two screws, the lamp assembly pulls straight back but you have to really give it a tug. For instance on the left lamp, I take my left hand fingers and try to get between the lamp and fender and pull back while my right hand is pulling back the main part of the lamp by the lift gate. I move the lamp up and down when I am doing this. There are two metal push pins that go into hard plastic and that is why it is a pain to just "pop off".

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
They have a special tool for that at the dealer. ;)

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
There is no special tool or any tool listed in the service manual to remove the rear tail lights so it must be something the dealer is using to make it easier. I have had mine on and off several times when I was tinting, then adding LED lights, then finally replacing them completely with the Kuga rear tail lights and I just pull them off like other members here have. Used no tools.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I was being facetious, hence the ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your not pulling hard enough. Once you remove those two screws, the lamp assembly pulls straight back but you have to really give it a tug. For instance on the left lamp, I take my left hand fingers and try to get between the lamp and fender and pull back while my right hand is pulling back the main part of the lamp by the lift gate. I move the lamp up and down when I am doing this. There are two metal push pins that go into hard plastic and that is why it is a pain to just "pop off".
I was having trouble pulling the tail light assembly on my 2016. In the process I discovered that wearing padded leather gloves gave my hand just the right grip to pop the taillight out of the keeper that holds it in place. I had tried several times with bare hands with no luck. It just wouldn't budge. Then I slipped on my leather gloves to warm my hands because it was chilly out and decided to try once more with them on. With the gloves on the hole assembly popped right out easily. I think the extra grip of the leather made all the difference.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I was having trouble pulling the tail light assembly on my 2016. In the process I discovered that wearing padded leather gloves gave my hand just the right grip to pop the taillight out of the keeper that holds it in place. I had tried several times with bare hands with no luck. It just wouldn't budge. Then I slipped on my leather gloves to warm my hands because it was chilly out and decided to try once more with them on. With the gloves on the hole assembly popped right out easily. I think the extra grip of the leather made all the difference.
At 1:40 on this YouTube video, the contributor (Joe Beermaster) there shows popping the tail light loose with your palm while holding/pulling with the other hand.

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
All I will say when removing these outer tail lights is be careful. The most outer front part along the edge of the vehicle is prone to easily getting cracks. I managed to get 2 tiny cracks in mine when I removed them and I thought I was being careful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts