2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Chattering Fan - Not main blower- suggestions?

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TomB985 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've been experiencing some chattering in a fan that seems to be secondary to the main blower for the AC/heat. ('13 FE SE, 1.6T)

First off, IS THERE another fan aside from the main blower under the cowl/wipers?

If there is, how accessible is it? Haven't taken a stab at it as it's about 12 degrees here in Richmond right now, hah.

Basically, it sounds like a piece of scotch tape dangling in a computer fan- that type of lightweight clicking/chattering... AND very annoying must I say. Could also be a misalignment maybe?

The settings for the air still work just fine (upper vents, feet vents, cabin recirculating, windsheid defroster, etc.) Also, the AUTO function functions properly with the fan intensity ramping up with the delta temp, so it's not the resistor either...

Anybody else have issues with this?

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks all, and Happy New Year!

-Rahrena

See less See more
#2 ·
Unfortunately there is only one blower motor, and it's not under the wiper cowl. It's actually located down at the base of the firewall, the first step in its removal is to remove the accelerator pedal.

It's a different procedure between the automatic and manual climate control, and you didn't mention which one you have. Book shows 2.4 hours of labor to replace, so it's not a simple task.

Reactions: rahrena8690
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply- hmm- well that's weird then. Maybe it is the blower then, but the misalignment/ chattering just stopped intermittently. Don't want to leave it, so I'll have to dive in sooner or later.

Which book are you referencing? Actual Ford Service manual? Any chance you have a PDF link?

Thanks again!

#5 ·
Yeah, that's what I was thinking also. Only other thing I can think of is a borderline misalignment that rears it's ugly head with temperature changes, but that might have already been obvious, don't know.

#6 ·
hi all,

i've been experiencing some chattering in a fan that seems to be secondary to the main blower for the ac/heat. ('13 fe se, 1.6t)

first off, is there another fan aside from the main blower under the cowl/wipers?
If there is, how accessible is it? Haven't taken a stab at it as it's about 12 degrees here in richmond right now, hah.
Basically, it sounds like a piece of scotch tape dangling in a computer fan- that type of lightweight clicking/chattering... And very annoying must i say. Could also be a misalignment maybe?
The settings for the air still work just fine (upper vents, feet vents, cabin recirculating, windsheid defroster, etc.) also, the auto function functions properly with the fan intensity ramping up with the delta temp, so it's not the resistor either...
Anybody else have issues with this?
Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks all, and happy new year!

-rahrena
Founds this TSB for newer FE's:
"Noise and/or vibration from blower motor with or
without lack of airflow from panel registers - built on
or before 28-feb-2017"
TSB 17-0034
Although not specific to your '13, the cause seems to be small animals possibly getting into the ducting and depositing residue, or other foreign matter in the ductwork. May be of some help in diagnosing your noise.

#9 ·
...the cause seems to be small animals possibly getting into the ducting and depositing residue, or other foreign matter in the ductwork...
EWWWWWWWWWW.... :eek:

#8 ·
Back in 2/17 my blower started making a loud noise and the whole dash started to vibrate. http://www.fordescape.org/forum/868610-post587.html

Pieces of rubber?? that came out of the cabin filter hole. Since then the blower sounds fine and air flow is normal from all the vents.
Font Wood

Here's a thread from 5/14 with the exact same symptoms as my blower. http://www.fordescape.org/forum/exterior-interior/19930-fan-noise-dashboard-vibration.html
On page 2 there is a video in the last post on how to get to the blower motor fan to clean it or a.k.a, how to remove the battery. The video is shaky and dark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thNM50cA5qY&feature=youtu.be

This video is slightly better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5N3vJ70pfU

Reactions: RushMan
#10 ·
Yes, I was going to suggest removing the wipers, upper cowl and lower cowl panels and cleaning it out that way. Maybe even take out your cabin air filter and leave it open and blow compressed air back up through the system. My Honda Accord was making noises and I found leaves inside of the blower. Of course the honda was much easier as far as exposing the blower motor.

#11 ·
Of course the honda was much easier as far as exposing the blower motor.
Some Fords are as well...it was a 15-minute job on my '10 Fusion. I like my Escape, but I wouldn't buy another because of how hard it is to work on. I suspect it'll become a money pit as it ages, and a DIY-er like myself is gonna get really frustrated in a hurry. A topic for another thread, I suppose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.