2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been colder in Colorado lately. About 3 months ago I started noticing the Escape would surge when it was the first drive of the day. You could see this more right after shifting, especially at 30. You can see it on the tach as it will bounce up and down. When the engine warms it goes away or gets a lot less noticeable.

1: Is this the carbon build up thing that the Makuloco video is addressing (he mentions misfire but not the "surge")?
2: Do most Ford dealers know about this problem? So, if I take it to a dealer they would know, automatically, that this was the problem and how to fix it?

My extended warranty is about to expire and I'd like to get this taken care of before that happens.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try checking the transmission fluid level first to make sure it's not low. You also may try a fluid change since I've heard of some success with that.
No way to check the tranny fluid... sealed system, no dip stick!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
There is no dipstick, but you check it like a gear case by making sure the oil level it all the way up to the fill hole on the side when it's warm. Or just change the fluid if you are going to the trouble of jacking it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Been colder in Colorado lately. About 3 months ago I started noticing the Escape would surge when it was the first drive of the day. You could see this more right after shifting, especially at 30. You can see it on the tach as it will bounce up and down. When the engine warms it goes away or gets a lot less noticeable.

1: Is this the carbon build up thing that the Makuloco video is addressing (he mentions misfire but not the "surge")?
2: Do most Ford dealers know about this problem? So, if I take it to a dealer they would know, automatically, that this was the problem and how to fix it?

My extended warranty is about to expire and I'd like to get this taken care of before that happens.

Thanks for the help.
Same here... It only surges for the first 10-15 seconds after a cold start and it's been that way since new (have 32K miles on it now). I've let it sit for 30 seconds or so before and then it doesn't seem to surge, but if I throw it in D/S immediately after startup, it's guaranteed to.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Same here... It only surges for the first 10-15 seconds after a cold start and it's been that way since new (have 32K miles on it now). I've let it sit for 30 seconds or so before and then it doesn't seem to surge, but if I throw it in D/S immediately after startup, it's guaranteed to.
There is your answer right there. If you take off straight after starting the car especially on a cold morning it will surge because the engine is still idling at around 1,200rpm + thus too many revs when upshifting through the gears.

If you wait for around 30 seconds or so til the rev counter/tacho drops to at least 1,000rpm or lower you will not have the surge problem. As you are aware normal idling is around 750rpm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is your answer right there. If you take off straight after starting the car especially on a cold morning it will surge because the engine is still idling at around 1,200rpm + thus too many revs when upshifting through the gears.

If you wait for around 30 seconds or so til the rev counter/tacho drops to at least 1,000rpm or lower you will not have the surge problem. As you are aware normal idling is around 750rpm.
A always wait till the engine idles down ti 1,000 or lower before I drive. It still does it. I think it might be worse because I'm fairly gentle with the gas pedal. It's not a noticeable if you accelerate harder but I don't do that so, I believe, it's more noticeable.

Guess I'll just take it in and hope these guys know what it is or can figure it out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ford and most other OEM's put a thermostat in the Tranny fluid flow path. The objective was to restrict/reduce the flow of the fluid when cold to get it to warm up faster. What you end up with a lot of times is just as described above. Restricted flow means the trans doesn't have the correct/consistent pressure it needs to operate correctly. In worst case scenarios (though rare) the thermostat gets stuck closed and you burn up the transmission from lack of lubricant/fluid.

So, how do you "fix" this? Well, you can either remove the thermostat or bypass it if you are mechanically inclined or, you can simply give the car a minute or two to warm up when you start it up cold for the first time for the day so that the thermostat has a chance to open fully.

Regular fluid changes between 30-50K miles also helps. Dirty fluid is proven to have a higher viscosity than (thicker) than clean fluid. High viscocity also impedes flow when cold.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
You could put in a thermostat that opens up 20 degrees cooler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a hard time believing this is a thermostat issue with my car. Even after warming up the surge is still felt. It almost feels more like a miss fire after the warm up, you can really tell at about 40mph after warm up tyou can actually fell a shake in the car as the tach bounces a bit. I hope to get the car in the shop very soon to figure this out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine does it too for about 5 mi in the morning. Mostly at low speed constant throttle. Please let me know what all of you have found. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts