2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am coming from 2019 RAV4 hybrid limited which Toyota bought back due to being a lemon after a year of ownership. I liked the look of the car but I did not really like how RAV4 handled and was too noisy in the cabin on the freeway or with hard acceleration. Speaking of acceleration it's adequate in RAV4 hybrid but I wanted more and that brought me here for that 2 liter turbo.

For 2020 Escape Titanium Turbo gas I am seeing some great deals on it but I do see number of issues reported. Are those deal breakers or can be fixed otherwise perhaps wait out until 2021 MY is on the lots. Trying to get a sense if people are overall happy with Escape. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
858 Posts
I like my 2017 Escape a lot. When I read about issues with a vehicle on websites like these bulletin boards I often am in wonder at how fortunate I am to not have all those problems. These boards are such that owners come here with their problems both to commiserate and in search of solutions. The problems presented usually aren't widespread but have happened to "some vehicles". If all these issues we read about on these boards were widespread, automakers would be out of business and we'd of found some other way to get around.

I can't speak for the 2020 year model, but I can tell you that I have a lot of appreciation for the 2l turbo charged engine. It has plenty of spunk. It's an age old question as to whether or not to wait for the next year model... Best wishes in your decision.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You might want to consider the Escape Hybrid along side the 2L EB. It doesn't require AWD, and offers performance between the 1.5L EB and 2L EB engine options. C&D compared your RAV4 with the Escape Hybrid, if you're interested in specifics. One high point is Escape Hybrid's better drivability in the 30-50 and 50-70 mph speed range.
Frank

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies.

I am done with hybrids. They are slow in general and in case of RAV4 hybrid driving experience wasn't great. I would much rather get PHEV or BEV but they don't make financial sense to buy yet with my 10k yearly driving so I am sticking with gas in the next 5 years.

So back to gas Titanium. Anyone knows when 2021 will be on dealerships lots? I might go check out 2020 beforehand as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for replies.

I am done with hybrids. They are slow in general and in case of RAV4 hybrid driving experience wasn't great. I would much rather get PHEV or BEV but they don't make financial sense to buy yet with my 10k yearly driving so I am sticking with gas in the next 5 years.

So back to gas Titanium. Anyone knows when 2021 will be on dealerships lots? I might go check out 2020 beforehand as well.
I've read on another forum that the 2020s will be built all the way into December, with the changeover taking place over the holiday break. 2021s will start production the first week in January.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read on another forum that the 2020s will be built all the way into December, with the changeover taking place over the holiday break. 2021s will start production the first week in January.
Thanks 👍 I saw something about fall availability but could wait until January if that's the case.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The first of any new model usually have teething problems as some here have discovered with some new 2020 Escapes mainly involving the hybrids apparently.
Hopefully by the time you get your Ecoboost model @null they will have sorted any issues out and I am sure you will be happy with it. 😊
I haven't had any problems with mine since purchasing it 2 years ago with around 8,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The "biggest" things I expect to see on the 2021 MY are: 1) the need to order the cargo shade at the time of build will go away. The "non cargo shade specific parts" of the rear trim currently show as discontinued on the Tasca & Ford Parts Giant; 2) a storage tray inside the console.

Other than that, based on the changes in the MY2013 & MY2014 the only other surface changes we might see would be different exterior colors and we know we're not getting Sync 4 for a while since that is making it's debut in the Mustang E.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I read that only minor changes and nothing of interest for me anyway. Picked up 2020 Titanium with sweet discounts.

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 20 escape SEL with all options and love it. You can get a real sweet deal on any of them right now. I would buy now because those discounts are gone come December.

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
32 Posts
Hello,

I am coming from 2019 RAV4 hybrid limited which Toyota bought back due to being a lemon after a year of ownership. I liked the look of the car but I did not really like how RAV4 handled and was too noisy in the cabin on the freeway or with hard acceleration. Speaking of acceleration it's adequate in RAV4 hybrid but I wanted more and that brought me here for that 2 liter turbo.

For 2020 Escape Titanium Turbo gas I am seeing some great deals on it but I do see number of issues reported. Are those deal breakers or can be fixed otherwise perhaps wait out until 2021 MY is on the lots. Trying to get a sense if people are overall happy with Escape. Thanks!
According to "Consumer Reports" the 2020 FE is STILL chasing the Class Leaders, with the base engine, ride comfort, and seats being letdowns. The interior door panels and silver trim felt flimsy with the steering wheel feeling cheap!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to "Consumer Reports" the 2020 FE is STILL chasing the Class Leaders, with the base engine, ride comfort, and seats being letdowns. The interior door panels and silver trim felt flimsy with the steering wheel feeling cheap!
I will write up a separate post comparing to my departed after 10k miles 2019 RAV4 hybrid limited ”class leader”. It's not all roses with class leaders either.

As far as the comment from CR I agree on those points.

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
32 Posts
I will write up a separate post comparing to my departed after 10k miles 2019 RAV4 hybrid limited ”class leader”. It's not all roses with class leaders either.

As far as the comment from CR I agree on those points.
I fully realize that the "class leaders" are not without faults, they have FAR FEWER faults than the Escape! The RAV4 has "fallen" in quality since the early 2000's and their STELLAR reputation is slightly tarnished due to pushing for higher sales numbers, but Toyota is STILL solidly in the "recommend" list of vehicles. CU's rating of the 2020 RAV4 is 72 vs their rating of 2020 Escape at 62 (NOT recommend because of BELOW average reliability). The RAV4 is at the bottom of the RECOMMENDED list. Actually the SUV CU says is the best is the Subaru Forester. I had planned to buy a '15 or '16 RAV4 about 6 months ago, but got a '15 FE SE AWD because the FE was $3K cheaper than the RAV4 and the Toyota dealer didn't really want to deal with me (less than stellar credit). I do love the FE for it's driving characteristics, but disappointed in the build quality. I did an earlier post in the "RUST" thread, regarding rust under ALL 4 doors. This would NEVER happen in a 5 year old RAV4 or Honda CR-V or Subaru Forester. This lack of quality is typical of "American owned" car companies, NOT because American workers are not up to the task, but because of the way the companies are run. Quantity BEFORE quality is their motto! I have heard that Ford is the "most recalled" car company in recent times and this coming from a guy that has been a "Ford Man" for 60 years!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fully realize that the "class leaders" are not without faults, they have FAR FEWER faults than the Escape! The RAV4 has "fallen" in quality since the early 2000's and their STELLAR reputation is slightly tarnished due to pushing for higher sales numbers, but Toyota is STILL solidly in the "recommend" list of vehicles. CU's rating of the 2020 RAV4 is 72 vs their rating of 2020 Escape at 62 (NOT recommend because of BELOW average reliability). The RAV4 is at the bottom of the RECOMMENDED list. Actually the SUV CU says is the best is the Subaru Forester. I had planned to buy a '15 or '16 RAV4 about 6 months ago, but got a '15 FE SE AWD because the FE was $3K cheaper than the RAV4 and the Toyota dealer didn't really want to deal with me (less than stellar credit). I do love the FE for it's driving characteristics, but disappointed in the build quality. I did an earlier post in the "RUST" thread, regarding rust under ALL 4 doors. This would NEVER happen in a 5 year old RAV4 or Honda CR-V or Subaru Forester. This lack of quality is typical of "American owned" car companies, NOT because American workers are not up to the task, but because of the way the companies are run. Quantity BEFORE quality is their motto! I have heard that Ford is the "most recalled" car company in recent times and this coming from a guy that has been a "Ford Man" for 60 years!!!
Early 2000s are long gone, these days all equally bad or good with so much technology packed in them that could fail hence I no longer keep the cars for longer then 7-8 years and always get extended warranty as couple fixes if you have to will cover the cost. Actually I traded in 2014 Dodge for Ford Escape. You can't do worse then Dodge, yet it's been fine for almost 7 years and I got half the value back on the trade.

I don't know much about pre 2019 change in Rav4, but I am well versed into issues with Rav4 2019/2020 and there has been plentiful, It's unknown how either new Escape or Rav4 will do long term, but as long as it lasts me 5-7 years it's fine. I might be getting rid of it sooner when cheaper EVs will start appearing. Elon announced yesterday "25k car in the next 3 years" with new battery tech, probably 4 and it might happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

We bought the 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid in March. I am delighted, especially with the "Sport Mode" - it is every bit as quick as our 2015 Escape Titanium, and is very comfortable ride as well. It is about to turn 20,000 miles, a lot of fun to drive. My wife was driving once when I switched to Sport Mode for her, and she was delighted. There have been times that I have had more than 50 MPG for driving around town. Usually, road mileage is much less, around 35 MPG (during summer). I would at least go to Ford and test drive, especially hybrid, and turn on Sport Mode.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We bought the 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid in March. I am delighted, especially with the "Sport Mode" - it is every bit as quick as our 2015 Escape Titanium, and is very comfortable ride as well. It is about to turn 20,000 miles, a lot of fun to drive. My wife was driving once when I switched to Sport Mode for her, and she was delighted. There have been times that I have had more than 50 MPG for driving around town. Usually, road mileage is much less, around 35 MPG (during summer). I would at least go to Ford and test drive, especially hybrid, and turn on Sport Mode.
I test drove Titanium Escape Hybrid it's not as quick as Titanium gas, probably as quick Rav4 Hybrid however. I believe the 0-60 is about 7.5 seconds, which is adequate, but nothing to be happy about. Of course with 20k mileage you are saving lots at the gas pump, but my mileage is probably going to be 6k a year, so there is no benefit in hybrid at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts