2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use this thread to discuss things you have found that are cool with the 2020 and newer Escapes. Please only reply if you are an owner of this generation of the Escape

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my Titanium a few days ago and I love it. Favorite features so far are the B & O Sound System and the Vista Roof. There are so many bells and whistles on this model that I’m discovering new things. I’ll be back for an update after I’ve read the owners manual and figured out the many features on this amazing vehicle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like that the titanium A/C controls are smart. By that I mean, if you have the system set at 2 different temps and say fan speed of 3, vents on feet, but suddenly need to blast max A/C (to blow out a dead skunk smell, for example), or Max Defrost for a few seconds, then simply hitting the button a second time resets everything back to how it was before you hit MAX. Similarly, the heated seats and heated steering wheel remember if they were on when you turned off the car last, and come back on to the same setting as before.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
593 Posts
On the dash, I see the "Grade Assist" icon from the C-Max next to the gas gauge, and find its activated in Settings/Driver Assistance under that name. It's similar to the C-Max' button-activated feature in that it increases regen to limit speed increases on steep hills. Unlike C-Max, it has yet to use the ICE for braking, usually when HVB gets full. The Escape's HVB is smaller, yet it continues to regen long past the point where the C-Max HVB is full.

What's interesting is the manual lists an icon called "hill descent control" that's not on the dash, and describes a "Grade Assist" feature that's just the normal brake-hold-from-stop, not a dynamic, speed-limiting feature. If someone asks the manual, they get a different answer from the on-screen informational display. Curious.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you turn on Slippery Mode, you can get full time 4WD. I also noticed that the electric motors also power the rear wheels, which means the electric motors are connected to the drive shaft.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you turn on Slippery Mode, you can get full time 4WD. I also noticed that the electric motors also power the rear wheels, which means the electric motors are connected to the drive shaft.
Assuming this is the AWD model, right? Not some magic hack for the FWD model? Jusssst checking in case... lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Assuming this is the AWD model, right? Not some magic hack for the FWD model? Jusssst checking in case... lol
Heres the hack which works on all models including FWD. Push the start button to turn on accessory mode (without pressing the brake). Then push the following buttons on the steering wheel.
Up, Up, Down, Down, Track Rewind, Track Fwd, Track Rewind, Track Fwd, Volume -, Volume +m and Push the start button again with your foot on the brake to start the engine. You should hear a chime and a popup on the dash board will say "AWD Enabled". To disable AWD do this exact same thing in reverse.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Heres the hack which works on all models including FWD. Push the start button to turn on accessory mode (without pressing the brake). Then push the following buttons on the steering wheel.
Up, Up, Down, Down, Track Rewind, Track Fwd, Track Rewind, Track Fwd, Volume -, Volume +m and Push the start button again with your foot on the brake to start the engine. You should hear a chime and a popup on the dash board will say "AWD Enabled". To disable AWD do this exact same thing in reverse.
All that did was give me 30 free tanks of gas. Hmm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The fact that I can turn the cabin lighting off permanently for vehicle entry and exit is a significant improvement from my 2017. I got used to it over time but it bugged the crap out of me getting blasted with light unnecessarily in the dark.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This isn't true. It is true it will apply power to all of the wheels at higher speeds and more often, but it isn't full time as you say. I did some testing to confirm this.

This powertrain is similar to other Ford hybrids - it has 2 electric motors. One large traction motor which applies power to the wheels with energy from the battery, and a second smaller generator/starter motor which starts the gas engine as well as regenerates electricity into the battery or from the engine. Both motors are in the transmission.. The generator is on the crankshaft end and the traction motor on the other end. From there it goes to the driveshaft to the rear and differential for the front wheels. It is called the HF45 transmission and to my best guess that's likely because it has a 45kW traction motor. Though I'm pretty sure I've seen it briefly spike over that on the power meter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
S trim lacks the start button ,do I just put the key halfway to do this

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape hybrid Titanium - Red FWD
2 Posts
We bought our 'Magic Car' in December 2019 and have thus had it about 1 year. Just discovered this forum.
We have a 2020 Red Escape Hybrid Titanium FWD.
Heated seats and steering wheel, great navigation system, easy to see and interface with touch screen, lots of storage space. And with the lane centering and adaptable cruise control it almost drives itself! Getting about 39 mpg on the highway and 42 in town. Drove 13,000 miles before the Ford app said an oil change was needed. This car is the best thing since sliced bread!

The only concern is when going very slowly down a steep hill (such as at New River Gorge) the brakes alternate between grabbing and not. Tried putting in L but same result. Solution was to put in N and just brake. I think it is related to the hill descent control. Some things I have read have led me to believe that this option can be turned off, but I have not found these magic buttons. If someone can contribute on this, please let me know.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
150 Posts
Nifty details:
The default 'mode' for the shifter is 'return to park'. Unless you disable this, you can turn off the engine and it will shift back to park automatically for you.
I also like the pen clip in the console. A tiny detail, but it makes a difference.
Really? Cuz the other day I turned off the car and forgot to put it in Park and it was hard to turn the knob because it had no power...

And I only had the car for 500 miles but the other day we had ice and the car automatically put it in slippy mode...is this normal or did I hit the mode button by accident?

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
593 Posts
The only concern is when going very slowly down a steep hill ... brakes alternate between grabbing and not....I think it is related to the hill descent control.
The Finger Lakes have some really steep hills. I came down one near Candice Lake today. Nothing like this occurred. Any chance you're going slow enough ("very slowly") that you're at the speed where on the hydraulic brakes take over from regen? Regen braking requires speed; you'll notice the regen kW drop as you get close to stopping. At 40 mph, the only issue with hill assist is a too-small HVB. (And yes, I would prefer a button, a la C-Max.)

There is a Hill Assist toggle under the Driver Assistance menu; scroll down.

forgot to put it in Park and it was hard to turn the knob because it had no power...

And I only had the car for 500 miles but the other day we had ice and the car automatically put it in slippy mode..
My 2020 always puts itself in Park, if I don't.
I've never seen it change mode automatically, and I've put it through it's paces in snow and ice. AWD comes and goes (it's always on from a stop) but not driving mode.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
150 Posts
so today instead of putting it in park I just pushed the button off, and I did see it switch to P. so cool. Is this damaging to anything if I keep doing that?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts