2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube that was mentioned somewhere in these forums, from a guy that a lot of people seemed to trust. He said the new yellow Motocraft Coolant is backwards compatable, and the best for the engines that are out there now.
The Gold (yellow) is compatible with the orange. The orange has been discontinued and nowhere to be found. The cheapest I can find the Gold concentrate for pickup is $31./gallon at O'Reilly. Carid has it cheaper for $16.10 but their shipping charge is $11.70 to my zip. Has anyone found it cheaper? Dealer price?

·
Registered
948 Posts
The Gold (yellow) is compatible with the orange. The orange has been discontinued and nowhere to be found. The cheapest I can find the Gold concentrate for pickup is $31./gallon at O'Reilly. Carid has it cheaper for $16.10 but their shipping charge is $11.70 to my zip. Has anyone found it cheaper? Dealer price?
The Gold Motorcraft is not the same as the new Yellow Motorcraft...The Yellow is compatible with the Orange...I got 2 gallons of Yellow concentrate at a Ford dealer for $20 each...Then several gallons of distilled water to make it a 50/50 mix..

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for correcting me. The Gold and Yellow are different. None of the local auto stores or Walmart have the yellow in stock. I'll have to get it at my local Ford dealer.
Here's a good video on why you should upgrade to the yellow coolant:

@KY.BORN
Did you do a complete system flush, engine block and heater core, or just a drain?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thanks for correcting me. The Gold and Yellow are different. None of the local auto stores or Walmart have the yellow in stock. I'll have to get it at my local Ford dealer.

@KY.BORN
Did you do a complete system flush, engine block and heater core, or just a drain?
There is no engine block drain plug, at least on mine..So I drained it from the radiator plug, tough to get at, till it stops, then refilled with distilled water by tank...Started engine for only a minute or 2..Circulates fast through the system.You will see right away the orange color get lighter with each drain and refill until clear....Then when happy with the clear tank.. drain the water and refill with full concentrate Yellow..Will only take about 3/4 of a gallon...Take a ride and let it cool...So to get to a 50/50 mixture, I used a syringe to suck out the reservoir, and just added the rest of the gallon of Yellow...A refractometer will be helpful to check the coolant value...Not fun, but can be done...

·
Registered
170 Posts

@KY.BORN
That's the video I was referring to.

Reactions: BobP

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am going to do a full flush, and also turn the heater on full while running my car so the heater core gets flushed. I am going to get this tester. https://www.walmart.com/ip/TESTER-COOLANT-PRESTONE/16817506 The Motorcraft yellow coolant is a P-OAT, Phosphate Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolant, so as stated in the video if you use tap water and it's hard the minerals in it will bind with the phosphate, so you should use deionized or distilled water.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts