2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Three weeks ago my car busted a hose and coolant water was leaking out. I towed it to my mechanic and he replaced the hoses to the heater core and one of the coolant hoses. That fixed the leak and the parts and labor cost me $450. Now, three weeks later I get a low coolant message and the coolant tank was almost empty. I looked under the car and it was leaking coolant again, although much slower this time.

I took it back to the same mechanic and he said the heater hose is now leaking as is the water pump and he wants $450 to replace them both. It seems a little strange that the heater hose and the water pump are both leaking so soon after the first repair. The mechanic said it's a slow leak and as long as I watch it I can continue to drive it for a while.

I called the dealer and they want $1,300 to R&R the water pump and $2,000 to replace the water pump and hose. They have the labor at 6 hours for the water pump and 7 hours for the pump and hose, not 2 hours of labor like my mechanic shows. I know the 1.6 doesn't use the water pump that's attached to the timing chain so it shouldn't be 6 hours but that's what their book says.

So I'm not sure what to do here. I'm thinking maybe I should take it to another mechanic at a different shop before I go ahead with this repair since it's so costly.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If it was mine, I guess I'd go back to the $450 mechanic. You've got a 7 year old car and I assume you don't have an extended warranty. oftentimes, repairs are like squeezing a half filled balloon: everywhere you squeeze, it pops out somewhere else. Is the radiator ok? heater core? Other heater hoses? The leak won't fix itself and I personally would stay away from stop leak-type chemical fixes.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yep....The water pump was probably due to fail anyway and it was probably just a coincidence that this happened just after the previous repair or perhaps more pressure was put on those components. I would just bite the bullet and have the $450 repair done.
Your mechanic probably should have checked the water pump and other hoses for leaks initially but if he had and did the extra work it would have cost more than the initial $450 anyway.

If you go ahead and have him do the work just make sure he checks all hoses and the heater core, radiator etc. as previously suggested.

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
157 Posts
It’s also entirely possible the water pump failed because after the leak it was running “dry”. Likewise everything there is now 7 years old so once something gets touched or the system gets fixed the weaker parts could go. I’d look at it as getting everything fixed for less than the price of just the water pump at the dealer and call it a win. And in the scheme of things $900 to keep a car on the road isn’t too much, it’s 2-3 mos of car payment

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since taking it too the mechanic the other day it hasn't been leaking. I took it on the freeway today and drove 20 miles and the coolant didn't seem to go down. So I'm not sure what's going on or how I could have lost all that coolant from the reservoir in 2 weeks. Maybe it's just a very slow leak. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for a time and see what happens. Thanks for all of your responses.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,211 Posts
Since taking it too the mechanic the other day it hasn't been leaking. I took it on the freeway today and drove 20 miles and the coolant didn't seem to go down. So I'm not sure what's going on or how I could have lost all that coolant from the reservoir in 2 weeks. Maybe it's just a very slow leak. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for a time and see what happens. Thanks for all of your responses.
Do keep a close eye on it. The 1.6 is known for coolant leaks. You just have to search the forum to see all of the threads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts