2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im highly interested in this process. I will Also be buying hptuner for both my escape and my wife's explorer. Looking to squeeze out any mpgs I can. Have you messed with any of the TCC parameters?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To be clear, my main motivation was never fuel economy. That said, fuel economy is still quite good. I did modify TCC slopes and gains in order to promote a more positive apply, but did not change scheduling as it already applies from 3rd gear on in the original OEM calibration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah the transmission tuning is a portion I'm looking at to increase the mileage it will be in addition to other mods and tuned engine parameters to see what the factory left on the table. I've just barely scratched the surface though from what I've researched.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Regarding TCC parameters, I was just looking at trying a change relating to keeping the converter locked during 3rd-4th shifts (stock calibration already does this from 4th-5th and 5th-6th.) Mostly, I want to do it to see if it can mitigate a slight flare that occurs on the 3-4 shift at light pedal positions (37% and lower). I believe the release and shift event were not correctly timed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I've noticed it has a tendency to hang during that transition on my escape as well not a fan as the explorer we got doesnt do that from what I can tell

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I belive some of the notorious 2-3 shift hang in our Escape is due to shift scheduling. After reviewing it in depth, it was basically programmed to shift at a higher rpm....hell if I know why, but it always felt like you were left waiting for or anticipating that shift. The shift tables are laid out by output speed rpm (oss). When multiplying these by the given gear ratio of whatever gear you are in, I figured the rpm it would translate to. 2-3 was always out of line compared to 1-2 & 3-4 etc. I adjusted them and it feels much better. Small issue to some, but imo makes a big difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah that's strange that they did that for the factory programming. I cant wait to play with it andzero in on performance and comfort like your doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Honestly the transmission calibration changes have been the most satisfying to me. Don't get me wrong, its cool to have the added power, but it never really lacked power to begin with and you only access the added power once in a while and for short bursts. The process has consumed a whole bunch of time, but I have picked away at it in stages. I couldn't tell you the number of hours I have into it, but it would add up to more than an average work week, of that much I'm sure. Scary part is, there lots more to learn. The strategy in these vehicles is like nothing I've worked with before...it was very intimidating in the beginning, but I'm getting the idea.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts