2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Couldn't help myself

11K views 31 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris_LT 
#1 ·
Having tuned cars for a living for about 8 years (stopped about 3 years ago), the curiosity and need to tinker always gets the better of me. Only picked up a 2017 SE 2.0 for the wife a couple weeks ago, and started researching the tuning options. Already had an HP Tuners MPVI interface, and they listed the FE in vehicles supported....it was just too tempting. I checked with her to make sure she knew what I was up to, and we got the green light!
I started with some logging to see what was going on in the stock calibration. I had to send the stock file to support to have it added to the latest beta of the editor software, but they were surprisingly quick about it.
After studying the stock file, there were a few key areas that needed attention. The goal here isn't necessarily more power (not ruling it out but....) as much as it is to have more access to the power available. By this I mean reducing the limitations for torque production in 1st and 2nd gears, reduce the torque reduction during shifts, shorten shift slip times and other similar tactics.
I built a base calibration file and have only had a very brief drive and datalog, but its a good start. Using the time stamps in the datalog, the 0-60 time dropped about 0.6 seconds. FYI, we are running 91 octane fuel.
I will try to post updates as I make progress

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice!

Are you AWD or FWD?

I'd be careful of the torque limiters though. I know VW for instance has these on their DSG transmission and simply removing them or raising them for the sake of doing so to increase performance without the proper hardware upgrades is usually detrimental to the life expectancy of the transmission. And that's with only 200-230 tq on the VW 2.0TSi platform.

I can image the 275+ TQ on the 2.0 Ecoboost put a lot more stress on the transmission. Also if you're just FWD you'll lend yourself to more torque steer and wheel spin. All of the inputs on these vehicle are very sensitive as I'm sure you have come to find out. Fuel pedal, brakes, and steering all seem to go from not enough to too much with very little movement so it may be harder to modulate the throttle off-the-line and through a slower turn if you goose the gas.

#3 · (Edited)
It's an AWD, I should have mentioned. As far as transmission capacity goes, these 6F35 are used in the Lincoln MKC with the 2.3L behind 40 more hp and 30 more tq, although they could have similar torque limits in the software in lower gears. If this goes terribly wrong, I do have an ace in the hole.....I operate a transmission shop :)
I am taking this in small incremental steps rather than going for broke right off the bat, and will certainly leave some in reserve (just not as much as Ford did, lol ;))
I think a DSG has a smaller margin for error as it doesn't have a torque converter to absorb some of the torque spike during a shift event, but I recognize the risks and fully respect the gravity of the undertaking.
The vehicle, when driven "normally" must remain acceptable to my wife who daily drives the vehicle. She did, however comment that she noticed it seemed a little stronger when passing a car the other day. That's my girl!
Thanks for the comment and reading my post

#4 ·
I'm very interested to see how you go. I would be happy with just having the auto trans behaviour improved, but most tuning places only seem to talk about the engine side of things.

I assume you could reduce the "hang time"? Where it will hold a low gear (for what seems like an eternity) after full throttle acceleration and backing off to a steady speed.

Reactions: Gryffindor101
#6 ·
Another round of revisions tonight....
I've gone as far as I feel comfortable performance-wise (and further than I originally intended....?). Logger showed 0-60mph in 6.02 sec. My best recorded with it stock was 6.997, so definitely something you notice. Shifts are shorter and cleaner, approaching "crisp". Its quite cool here in Ontario at 4 deg C or 40ish F, so when warmer weather comes I will datalog again to make sure things are ok with warmer ambient air.

#7 ·
So you've got a version of this https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/ and that OBD2 interface comes with software that downloads and dissects the files from the PCM into something legible; with parameters you can alter for the engine and transmission?

Any chance of posting some screen shots of what it gives you to work with? It sounds very interesting (and extremely dangerous for someone unfamiliar with tuning!)

#9 ·
Thanks. I just had a look and they support the Kuga and even Australian made Ford models.

Would it allow you to change the way the trans behaves when using the paddles? I've retrofitted paddles in mine and found the programming can override the selected gear eg. if you try loading the engine in a high gear at lower revs (like around 2-3k revs, not ridiculously low.)

Gaining around 1 second to 60mph is impressive. It might go some of the way to explain how the 2020 model has been reported as having significantly better acceleration (fitted with a new 8 speed auto, but basically the same engine power/ torque and weight.)

#10 ·
Another question- does it enable any changes in the EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering)? I'm guessing it would involve settings in the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module ?)

The reason I'm asking is they released a Kuga ST Line model with lowered/ improved suspension and one thing I noted is they claim the steering has been improved. My guess is that has been done via software? Edit- read below.

...while the electronic power-assisted steering gets a new calibration for more agile handling.

#11 ·
Another question- does it enable any changes in the EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering)? I'm guessing it would involve settings in the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module ?)

The reason I'm asking is they released a Kuga ST Line model with lowered/ improved suspension and one thing I noted is they claim the steering has been improved. My guess is that has been done via software? Edit- read below.

There are tables specific to the select shift functions, but I haven't looked at them in depth. I would imagine with experimentation, you could effect the desired behaviour. I'm not sure how much authority the main shift tables have to override the select shift...
As far as steering calibration, no, I see nothing in there. None of the stuff associated with bcm functions are accessible. I would say Forscan would have a better chance at accessing electric steering assist profiles.

#13 ·
I have continued to make very subtle revisions to the cailbration in the Escape, and am very pleased with the vehicle dynamics now. One recent change was to bump the 5th to 6th shift point at low throttle a bit higher as it really lugged at 70kmh (43ish mph) and it produced a growl and mild resonance. It now stays in 5th until 80kmh (50mph) and RPM drops to 1500ish instead of 1250-1300.
Another was to experiment with a function called "torque based shift schedule" which could either be enabled (as it is by default) or disabled. I felt this might be a way to reduce or eliminate "shift hang" as Murcod inquired about.

"I assume you could reduce the "hang time"? Where it will hold a low gear (for what seems like an eternity) after full throttle acceleration and backing off to a steady speed. "

While it didn't eliminate it entirely, it is MUCH improved. If you are not familiar with this behaviour, it is essentially the vehicle's tendency to take a few seconds to respond to a sudden tip out of throttle after a higher throttle position...resulting in the engine hanging at the high RPM for a few seconds before finally changing up to higher gears. It now is about 1 second or so. I will continue to observe this as it has been the most recent change.

Some fuel control tweaks and such yielded a small performance increase as noted by a datalogged 0-60mph time of 5.93 sec, a new best.

Overall driveability is improved in my opinion, and on a recent trip over the holidays, the average fuel economy over a 6000km distance (to Florida, around Florida and back to Ontario Canada) showed a reported economy of 9.6 L/100km or 24.5mpg. This was with 4 adults in the car and average freeway speeds of 75-85 mph. Pretty solid

#17 ·
Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how you've been going with it long term.

Out of interest your 0-60mph time of 5.93s is very close to what they've quoted in reviews of the 2020 model with the updated 8spd auto (5.7sec.)

I'm certainly interested in doing the same.

If you are not familiar with this behaviour, it is essentially the vehicle's tendency to take a few seconds to respond to a sudden tip out of throttle after a higher throttle position...resulting in the engine hanging at the high RPM for a few seconds before finally changing up to higher gears.
That annoys the hell out of me. You're left with the engine revving high for what seems like an eternity. If there are any other vehicles close by they'd be wondering what the hell you're doing. Reducing it to 1 second would be a lot better and more of what I would have expected with the factory "tune".

#15 ·
The one I am playing with is my wife's technically, and kinda our family vehicle when we go places. She loves driving it even more now that I've tuned it.
As far as cost, the passthrough device itself is where most of the money is spent. I already had one so it was merely license credits which were like $100. Even though I now have many hours into this tune, I am not sure I would sell it to anyone...too much liability. I am waiting to see what my brother-in-law and sister-in-law think about it when they drive ours since they have a '19 Escape SE 2.0L as well. The difference is quite noticeable.

#16 ·
GOOD NEWS! I requested that HP Tuners add the software switch to disable the stop/start function. Less than 1hr later they replied and it was done. I downloaded the latest beta, and behold it was in there! I will be flashing this to our vehicle on the weekend likely. (on a side note, ours doesn't work atm as it is too cold where we live, but on the Florida trip it did function). I know a LOT of people dislike this feature.

#29 ·
Whittled 0-60 down a bit more. Datalog showed 5.80 tonight...
Impressive.

One question Chris- how many "credits" did you need to use to download the PCM (engine and trans?) tables and then upload the changes? From what I can work out you'd need 2, or is it more than that?

#22 ·
To be clear, my main motivation was never fuel economy. That said, fuel economy is still quite good. I did modify TCC slopes and gains in order to promote a more positive apply, but did not change scheduling as it already applies from 3rd gear on in the original OEM calibration.

#24 ·
Regarding TCC parameters, I was just looking at trying a change relating to keeping the converter locked during 3rd-4th shifts (stock calibration already does this from 4th-5th and 5th-6th.) Mostly, I want to do it to see if it can mitigate a slight flare that occurs on the 3-4 shift at light pedal positions (37% and lower). I believe the release and shift event were not correctly timed.

#26 ·
I belive some of the notorious 2-3 shift hang in our Escape is due to shift scheduling. After reviewing it in depth, it was basically programmed to shift at a higher rpm....hell if I know why, but it always felt like you were left waiting for or anticipating that shift. The shift tables are laid out by output speed rpm (oss). When multiplying these by the given gear ratio of whatever gear you are in, I figured the rpm it would translate to. 2-3 was always out of line compared to 1-2 & 3-4 etc. I adjusted them and it feels much better. Small issue to some, but imo makes a big difference.

#28 ·
Honestly the transmission calibration changes have been the most satisfying to me. Don't get me wrong, its cool to have the added power, but it never really lacked power to begin with and you only access the added power once in a while and for short bursts. The process has consumed a whole bunch of time, but I have picked away at it in stages. I couldn't tell you the number of hours I have into it, but it would add up to more than an average work week, of that much I'm sure. Scary part is, there lots more to learn. The strategy in these vehicles is like nothing I've worked with before...it was very intimidating in the beginning, but I'm getting the idea.

#31 ·
I'm debating on whether or not to buy it for doing the auto trans improvements. But I don't want to stuff up anything; I don't know much (enough?) about automatic transmission operation!

The exchange rate is getting favourable for purchases from the US.

#32 ·
As with anything like this, there are risks involved and we each have to weigh that against potential reward and how much we dislike the current arrangement. I am not opposed to offering opinion on your proposed settings or perhaps sharing some of mine if you take the plunge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.