2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most auto-makers are down about 20-25 average% I read, but it's no coincidence that the newly redesigned Escape is down almost 50% (almost 65% in Canada).

I myself didn't opt for the new escape because of the design. It just screams 'Focus'. Perhaps Ford should have waited and continued producing the other gen for another year until the Bronco was made available to fill the gap. It was selling very well with the Sport Appearance package.

The article does not mention that the Escape has been newly redesigned and that could be a HUGE factor.

I'm sure many agree the interior of the new Escape is subpar, exterior is OK but nothing WOWING. Like many I find the rear nicer than the front....

I think the Hybrid / electric will help. Toyota Rav 4 Prime can't make em fast enough here in Canada. They are only available in Quebec province as Toyota can't keep up with demand.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think we have to understand the reasons why first. Is it due to lack of production due to COVID, lack of higher trim versions as I am seeing in the southeast, these combined with a general market decline or do people just not like them? It’s hard to parse the data, their incentives are great right now so I’d have to believe it’s early production woes.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium - The Dark Knight
105 Posts
I think the bigger problem that Ford has is that they moved the pricing of the Escape upmarket & produced such a bland interior.

If you want to take a vehicle up the price scale, you'd better make sure folks feel that it's "worth it" Hell, look at the Lincoln Corsair, the pricing starts decently enough around $45K CDN, but tops out at $70K CDN + taxes.

That's insane IMO

NefCanuck

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can see why Escape isn't for everyone and Rav4 has all the spotlight...

I was one of the first ones to buy 2019 Rav4 hybrid the moment it came out (didn't even had a chance to test drive it since it wasn't on the lots) because how it looked. Toyota hit a homerun with its cool sporty look which certainly appeals to young and old but as it turned out that cool look doesn't match driving dynamics and awful cabin/engine noise. Also what I learned is that "40 mpg" is really >30 mpg for me. I was relieved when Toyota bought it back a year later.

Escape on the other hand doesn't stand out in terms of looks, actually looks smaller then rav4, interior is decent enough but what sold me on Escape variant is how it drives and better noise insulation on top of being the best value among other options. I am probably one of the few though who would consider gas turbo these days, everyone wants a hybrid and Escape hybrid option might help it a bit to compete with rav4 hybrid, but lackluster Escape PHEV is certainly not on par with hot seller Rav4 Prime in every aspect except pricing.

I have my comparison here Rav4 hybrid Limited and Escape Titanium trims.

Reactions: cavalierrs

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it's the exterior. My brother was waiting for the new generation but immediately went looking for a 2017-2019 when the 2020 came out. The Rav4 has an agressive, sporty look. The escape was more of that last generation (after facelift) and seems to have gone backwards in the 4G. My wife even points out how ugly they are when we are driving and says they look bloated. Not a good move Ford

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I've been watching many review on the new Escape and one thing people said was how cheap the interior was and that other cars are offering more for the same price. My mom just bought the standard Rav4 and it came with all the bells and whistles you'd find in my titanium Escape and more. It has rear view cameras, outside sensors, and probably many other things I don't even know about.

As some said on here I think the outside design is also very flawed. It looks like a 1st generation Hyundai Tiburon but in a SUV form. It looks like Ford is trying to do too much which is the opposite of the old Escape. The old Escape kept a Spartan look but did everything well and was competitively priced. This isn't the case anymore. Either Ford gives the Escape another facelift or starts to add new bells and whistles to the car. It could use an upgrade on the interior too. Even though I think the interior is fine it seems people don't like black plastic no more.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Repeat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What's standard Rav4? LE, XLE? Regardless they can't compare to Titanium trim 1 to 1 in feature set. I have owned Rav4 Limited and it matches pretty much what Titanium has, except a few extra things like ventilated seats, rear door sensors, puddle lights, adaptive headlights but Escape has mostly everything led already including fogs, HUD and hitch already included. Also, another important feature for me was DCC and LKA and Ford has better implementation then Toyota where I posted my comparison earlier.

Exterior for sure is the major win for Rav4 success and Escape drawback but anyone who looks beyond the car look Escape is a better package for less.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,149 Posts
My mom just bought the standard Rav4 and it came with all the bells and whistles you'd find in my titanium Escape and more. It has rear view cameras, outside sensors, and probably many other things I don't even know about. .
I had a look at the LE and XLE trims of the RAV4, and I can see what is on there that is better, or even equal, than the Titanium Escape. Have a backup cameras and outside sensors isn’t really anything. Having “all the bells and whistles” isn’t very clear at all. Could mean anything. You should be more specific to what she has before you make a statement saying her standard RAV4 is equal to the top of the line Escape.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am happy enough with the Escape interior trim and technology, comfort, engine etc. and the only thing Ford could have improved is in regards to the body in my view.
Going back to at least 2016 the rear seems to an inch or two higher than the front going by the wheel arches anyway and when viewing the car from the back it looks too high compared to the width of the vehicle.
I think they could have made it more proportional without losing too much in headroom.
In saying that I realize it is difficult to make an SUV look streamlined but some manufacturers seem to be better at it than others.

Reactions: ozzy44 and Phaedrus

·
Registered
129 Posts
I actually think the exterior is a strong suit, they were going for Macan and I think nailed it. The question is if buyers wanted to look that way or not (seems not). The RAV4 to me looks like a bridge truss in all but the limited trim, too trapezoidal. The interior plastics/dash design to me are “just ok” and the base gauges look like crap IMO. The screen looks way better than that clunky Toyota one tho. I think some improved materials and a better standard gauge cluster would make it way better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I loved the edgy look of Rav4 from any angle but Escape is just ok not loving that smiley grill at all. As for gauges in Rav4 they were plain but functional. Escape only has nicer gauges in upper trims. Overall lower trims for Rav4 has the edge over Escape. IMHO Escape only beats Rav4 with it's Titanium trim especially with 2L turbo.

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's relevant though. The low sales is because competition is very strong with Rav4 which is beating it primarily on looks and of course that reliability image. Try telling Rav4 shopper that Escape really is a better value...

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I had a look at the LE and XLE trims of the RAV4, and I can see what is on there that is better, or even equal, than the Titanium Escape. Have a backup cameras and outside sensors isn’t really anything. Having “all the bells and whistles” isn’t very clear at all. Could mean anything. You should be more specific to what she has before you make a statement saying her standard RAV4 is equal to the top of the line Escape.
If you really want me to. First of all my first point is that my mom has the lowest class of Rav4 and I'm comparing it to the highest class Escape - the Titanium. This shouldn't be close but it is.

My mom's Rav4 comes standard with a pretty large screen (7-7.5 inches from my own measurement) and the lowest Escape only comes with a not even a 5 inch screen. My mom's car also has it's own hotspot which I believe is something you have to buy or upgrade to on the Escape. My mom also have voice recogination something I'm not even sure the Escape has - or at least in lower levels. Does the "S" model Escape even come with keyless entry?

Those are just some things are that are standard on the lowest class RAV4. I'll go to my local dealership to get more info on things I'm not certain on.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Let's keep in mind that the Bronco Sport is basically the Escape replacement. Like many, I feel Ford shot themselves in the foot by having a regular Bronco and a Bronco sport. So many people see the Bronco sport and think it's the regular Bronco and are disappointed... the Sport should of had it's own name (ESCAPE II) LOL

The new Bronco Sport is to go after old Escape buyers but I think Ford sales will be low until this Bronco sport is made available. The auto critic mentions that the Escape sales are down and it's because of 2 things:

1-the new redesign is not pleasing everyone and it's not the look Escape buyers wanted so this new bronco sport should help bridge the gap

2- The new 1.5L, 3 cylinder engine is disappointing.

See video > sorry it,s in French (I'm French)

I think I agree if you can get over the subpar Escape interior, it's still a great vehicle but did Ford Engineers run out of time or something to come up with that interior?

Wonder how quickly they can put a few engineers on this and say FIX IT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
From my outlook and others I've talked to the 2020 Escape has a lackluster exterior look, the interior seems cheap, and the sticker price moved up about 1-2%. So I will hold onto our 2017's until the next generation of Ford SUV. Just not excited about anything the new design has to offer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought my 2020 Escape SE hybrid back in December. I‘ve noted how there aren’t many 2020 Escapes around here (Massachusetts). This entire year so far, I’ve seen one on the interstate I-90, one at a nearby Audubon sanctuary, and one in the driveway of a neighbor—turned out to be a visitor from Virginia.

My previous car was a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. As one who had not bought a new car in a long time, I am pleased with all the features and the price of the ‘20 Escape.

i’m perplexed over the negative comments regarding the exterior. Maybe it‘s just the color—persian green—but, since I bought it, the car has literally been a head turner, with people walking up to me and saying how beautiful it is.

The Rav4 is definitely a great car. The professional reviews rave over it. The owner reviews too are good, but it’s the professional reviews that seems to almost gush over it. On the other hand, the professional reviews for the 2020 Escape are lackluster. In my view, they underrate the car. In particular, I consider the Consumer Reports review to be a hatchet job, totally biased and unfair.

People read reviews. We all need help, because we can’t test drive every car model that interests us.

So, add together how people often avoid changeover years; others are waiting for new Bronco; it‘s a pandemic year; and how professional reviewers love the Rav4. Plus, in my part of the country, it seems there’s a general preference for foreign brands, notably Subaru, Honda, and Toyota over domestic brands. Finally, I overheard at my dealership just this week how they have a shortage of inventory. It all adds up to lower numbers for Ford.

Just my take. I’m no expert. simply reporting what I’ve experienced and feel.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The general view from motoring writers and reviewers in Australia is that the Ford Escape is an underrated SUV as you suggest in your comments @Phaedrus.
In our case here I think one reason for that is that Ford do not seem to promote them in anywhere near the same way other brands are promoted, especially Hyundai, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda etc.
I am not sure whether that is the case in the USA or Canada.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
134 Posts
In US people primarily buy rugged looking SUVs and trucks. Escape is soft looking raised station wagon.

Reactions: ozzy44
1 - 20 of 48 Posts