2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I only use top tier gasoline and 100 % Synthetic oil "Pennzoil Platinum 5/30 weight made from natural gas, this oil is as cleans as it gets!!
has anyone had any issues using CRC valve and turbo cleaner????

I would like to hear from you!!
My car runs fine I would like to get better mileage
my horsepower seems to be excellent

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I haven't used it but it gets great google reviews...;)

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,126 Posts
Reactions: Gordo

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I was reading (somewhere recently) not to use those type of cleaners in the EcoBoost engines - as they can damage the turbo exhaust wheel.

Here's something along those lines Induction Service Cleaners Can Damage Ford EcoBoost Engines | PickupTrucks.com
Maybe, but according to the original OP's video above and online reports and reviews this stuff safely dissolves any carbon deposits on any engine. Depends which 'expert' view you trust I suppose.
The general view with EcoBoost engines is that you need to drive them hard occasionally to prevent carbon build up in the first place apparently.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Question is, when did CRC come out with their product, since the video Murcod provided is 7 yrs old??...Did CRC address this problem since they state on the can, safe for Turbos too...It is risky unless proving OK for Eco boost engines..

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
887 Posts
Ford endorses nothing other than a valve job to clean off the back of the intake valves, even the ground walnut shell blasting used by BMW and a few others isn't "approved".
The issue with turbos is if the deposit is hard, breaks off in a chunk and hits a turbo vane on the way out the exhaust.
The question comes down to do you trust the can just like any other product.

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE 2.0
32 Posts
Thanks @waverunner10 for posting this. I am not sure I would give it a try myself. Have you looked at the disassembly/reassembly for manually cleaning the back of the intake valves yourself? There are some threads on this forum that discuss this, does not seem to bad for every say every 75K-100K miles. I wonder what is going to the exhaust and how happy the catalytic converter is with all the unburned carbon based material going to it.

On the other hand, the product probably does about what is says it does and I doubt there are lots of EcoBoost engines on the side of the road from doing this.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drive my car hard on the freeway 70> 85 mph
Sometimes getting on the freeway I will floor it until I get up to 85 mph "Italian tune up"
I just had a phone conversation with Ben in "CRC" technical support
He said the product will not harm the Turbo or the Cat, It is important that you follow the directions
After speaking to Ben, I am going to use CRC GDI intake valve and turbo cleaner
I will follow the directions to a T. I will watch the video 1 more time

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,126 Posts
Note this in the link I posted- there's more to it than carbon pieces breaking away.

Why Don't They Work for Ford's EcoBoost Engine?
We talked with an automotive expert who confirmed what the video explains: Forced-induction chemicals cause a reaction that increases the temperature around the turbochargers leading to premature failure. A single turbo can cost thousands to replace.
It surely should apply to all direct injection turbocharged petrol engines- not just EcoBoosts?

Reactions: Gordo

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape, Titanium Trim, 2.0l Ecoboost
12 Posts

I only use top tier gasoline and 100 % Synthetic oil "Pennzoil Platinum 5/30 weight made from natural gas, this oil is as cleans as it gets!!

Well I "spoke to my support group" aka my Scotty Kilmer on youtube.
and a few other videos and came to the conclusion that the pros outweighed the bad. It helped that Scotty used an Ford Ecoboost engine so i used the same intake hose. I followed the directions. It went pretty much like he said. After one hour drove the beast. Am not in-tune with my car yet, so not really sure what differences there are. Still sounds awesome and revs quickly. I did this 9 days ago. and have had the car barely a month. My Escape has 80,000kms on it and I drive it the way I want, not for fuel economy.

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
70 Posts

I used CRC intake cleaner on my '13 Focus SE N/A a year ago and found that the engine was a bit more responsive after the "treatment". As far as how thorough a job it does, only looking into the intake port will tell. I plan to do the treatment to my '15FE ECOBOOST this summer. I do believe the CRC does SOME good but nowhere near what removing the intake manifold and doing a "hand" cleaning of the intake valves would do. As for the Pennzoil Platinum Ultra synthetic (make sure you use the ULTRA...a step up from the Platinum), it is THE ONLY oil that has the LOWEST VOLITILITY of any on the market and is highly recommended for single injector GDI engines. I personally use the recommended 5W-20 weight!

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
70 Posts
Ford endorses nothing other than a valve job to clean off the back of the intake valves, even the ground walnut shell blasting used by BMW and a few others isn't "approved".
The issue with turbos is if the deposit is hard, breaks off in a chunk and hits a turbo vane on the way out the exhaust.
The question comes down to do you trust the can just like any other product.
So, a chunk of carbon could just as easily break off from the carbon build on the intakes WITHOUT using the cleaner. If anything, the CRC would soften the breakaway deposit to make a "softer" impact with the turbo vanes! And of course, Ford would be more than happy to clean the intakes instead of YOU doing with a $16.00 can of whatever!

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
887 Posts
That's the CRC theory.
The dealer that I got out 2014 Escape out of when we bought it was offering "BMC intake/induction cleaning" back then and I always wondered if it would do any good on an EB since they wouldn't say how they were introducing it to the engine.
I've been wary of cleaning additives ever since a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank on our 2004 Freestar caused the plugs to intermittent misfire because carbon was getting into the cylinder and bridging the plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, a chunk of carbon could just as easily break off from the carbon build on the intakes WITHOUT using the cleaner. If anything, the CRC would soften the breakaway deposit to make a "softer" impact with the turbo vanes! And of course, Ford would be more than happy to clean the intakes instead of YOU doing with a $16.00 can of whatever!
It's a lot less likely that it will ever get big enough to break off by itself. Now we are talking about Direct injected engines. Their is a difference. The liquid additive goes into the intake and cleans off the back of the intake valve that never sees the super good fuel that you run in a car, thus Direct Injection. The combustion side of the valve sees this good fuel and stays normally pretty clean. The back side of the valve only sees air coming in from the intake, minus any fuel, and oil vapor from the PCV valve system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts