2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Ford has two sets listed on the Ford Accessories website. The pricing seems to be pretty good. eTrailers has the same Thule set but they marked it up and then cut the price to make them look like they're discounted.

I need to be able to mount a ~60lb 10ft kayak.

I know Thule and Yakima are reputable brands. The Thule set looks much more substantial than the Ford one, and I'm sure it works better with other Thule accessories and will be more likely to work with whatever car I switch to in the future (assuming it has flush rails too). The Ford one is just so much cheaper, and I can't imagine it's bad if it's made by Ford specifically for the 4G Escape. I don't really need it for anything other than the kayak at the moment. If I get a bike rack or extra storage I'll probably go hitch-mounted so I don't have to worry as much about added drag. But when it comes to kayaks there isn't really a better option because if I got a trailer then I'd have to pay to register it.

Anyone have experience with either of these on their 4G Escape? Are there other options I'm missing? It looks like Malone and Rhino don't have any options for flush rails.

Thule - https://accessories.ford.com/kit-luggage-rack-12840.html#2020/Escape

Ford - https://accessories.ford.com/kit-luggage-crossbars.html#2020/Escape

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
37 Posts
Do you have a moon roof or panoramic window?
I have a 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid and I was looking so forward to getting the crossbars to put on the rails unfortunately, I found out that because of the design, if I put the crossbars onto the rails it will void the warranty.
See page 270 of your owners manual, it shows the load limits and will answer your loading questions. Page 269 mentions what I referred to about the warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So Ford has two sets listed on the Ford Accessories website. The pricing seems to be pretty good. eTrailers has the same Thule set but they marked it up and then cut the price to make them look like they're discounted.

I need to be able to mount a ~60lb 10ft kayak.

I know Thule and Yakima are reputable brands. The Thule set looks much more substantial than the Ford one, and I'm sure it works better with other Thule accessories and will be more likely to work with whatever car I switch to in the future (assuming it has flush rails too). The Ford one is just so much cheaper, and I can't imagine it's bad if it's made by Ford specifically for the 4G Escape. I don't really need it for anything other than the kayak at the moment. If I get a bike rack or extra storage I'll probably go hitch-mounted so I don't have to worry as much about added drag. But when it comes to kayaks there isn't really a better option because if I got a trailer then I'd have to pay to register it.

Anyone have experience with either of these on their 4G Escape? Are there other options I'm missing? It looks like Malone and Rhino don't have any options for flush rails.

Thule - https://accessories.ford.com/kit-luggage-rack-12840.html#2020/Escape

Ford - https://accessories.ford.com/kit-luggage-crossbars.html#2020/Escape
I have the thule on my escape and really like them...........setup was super easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you have a moon roof or panoramic window?
Luckily I do not. I noticed that as well, about the warranty. I think it mentions it on the Ford Accessories site as well.

If I remember correctly the regular roof can handle 100 lbs. So both Yakima and Thule are overbuilt for this car (they're like 165 lbs for the aero bars and 220 lbs for the square bars or something like that). But I'd rather it be overbuilt than flexing under the weight of the kayak or falling apart after a couple years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was warned by the dealer about crossbars and the moon roof. He said it would void your warranty but the rumor mill chatter was that someone "overloaded" one and ended up being crushed. Allegedly. So Ford said 0KG max for the 2020 w/ moon roof.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya that's kind of crappy. I know it's not a rugged utility vehicle, but it's really misleading to sell a car with roof rails that you can't put anything on without voiding the warranty.

I ended up ordering the Thule ones. That way I know they're good quality, and in the future there's a chance they will work with whatever vehicle I switch to (several years down the road).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was warned by the dealer about crossbars and the moon roof. He said it would void your warranty but the rumor mill chatter was that someone "overloaded" one and ended up being crushed. Allegedly. So Ford said 0KG max for the 2020 w/ moon roof.
Actually, that’s not the reason.
I have a 2013 Escape Titanium EcoBoost and a 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid, both were bought brand new, both have the moonroof and both have the rails for the crossbars. The 2013 came with the crossbars already installed, the 2020 did not. The difference between the two and the reason for the warranty void is that on the 2013, when the roof is opened, the glass drops down and slides back tucking itself into the ceiling INSIDE the car which protects the glass top. The 2020 operates differently, when the roof is opened, the glass raises up and slides back ABOVE the roof of the vehicle unprotected and if crossbars were installed, the glass top would impact the crossbar shattering the glass and most likely damaging the drive system for the roof.
Its damage that’s avoidable not to mention expensive and that is why they say it’ll void the warranty along with showing that there is a zero pound load limit for loading the roof on a 2020 with a moonroof or panoramic roof.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Actually, that’s not the reason.
I have a 2013 Escape Titanium EcoBoost and a 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid, both were bought brand new, both have the moonroof and both have the rails for the crossbars. The 2013 came with the crossbars already installed, the 2020 did not. The difference between the two and the reason for the warranty void is that on the 2013, when the roof is opened, the glass drops down and slides back tucking itself into the ceiling INSIDE the car which protects the glass top. The 2020 operates differently, when the roof is opened, the glass raises up and slides back ABOVE the roof of the vehicle unprotected and if crossbars were installed, the glass top would impact the crossbar shattering the glass and most likely damaging the drive system for the roof.
Its damage that’s avoidable not to mention expensive and that is why they say it’ll void the warranty along with showing that there is a zero pound load limit for loading the roof on a 2020 with a moonroof or panoramic roof.
Is this your assumption or you actually tried installing crossbars? Also in the manual it talks about moonroof and nothing about panoramic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is this your assumption or you actually tried installing crossbars? Also in the manual it talks about moonroof and nothing about panoramic.
I went to the dealer to buy the crossbars for my 2020, they looked it up by my VIN number and said they didn’t make them for my Escape so I called them out on it and showed them the crossbars listed in the accessories. I was told that it would void the warranty if I put them on and the dealership is prohibited from installing them, the parts guy didn’t know why other than that’s what he saw on the screen.
None of this made sense to me because our 2013 has a moonroof also and it came with the crossbars installed so, the Service Manager came out and explained it to me and what he said is what I wrote.

Overnight, I was thinking about this and what MocaFet said actually makes sense too when I consider that almost the whole roof on the 2020 Escape with a moonroof is glass. The only difference between a moonroof and a panoramic moonroof that I’m aware of is that the interior sunshade for the moonroof for the panoramic can retract all the way to the back allowing the backseat to get sunlight and a view of the sky when retracted back that far.

In conclusion, I’m probably incorrect in saying that he was wrong in what he was told. His dealership told him half of the story and my dealership told me the other half so now as far as I’m concerned I’ve got the whole understanding of why it says that in the manual.
Like WillMcK said, its kind of misleading when they sell you a brand new vehicle with the rails already installed and you find out afterwards that it’s prohibited to use them.
Anyway, hope this answers your questions.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am tempted to try it if it's just matter of keeping panoramic roof closed then it's fine and I will take my chances

·
Registered
317 Posts
If so, look for aftermarket bars with clearance.

Reactions: null

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just wanted to give a little visual representation to what I was saying about the glass roof and the panoramic moonroof for those that aren't sure what it is.

Obviously, this is the top. The area between the forward line across the roof to the line just forward of the antenna is glass so, like I said, a majority of the roof is glass.

This is pretty much what the normal Moonroof looks like:

This is what the Panoramic Moonroof looks like from the inside:

This will give you an idea of how the glass would come close to the crossbars when installed.

I really wanted the crossbars but after they gave me the scare tactics, I had to tuck my tail between my legs and rethink what I really wanted. After thinking about it for a bit I finally resolved to myself that it was really just a desire to have the bars and nothing more because in the eight years that we have owned the 2013, we have yet to actually use the crossbars that it came with already mounted.

Anyway, I just felt that I owed a visual to go with the answer I gave previously.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well someone should take one for the team and test it out :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wanted to give a little visual representation to what I was saying...
Thanks - the photos are VERY helpful! I see why Ford says no crossbars with the panoramic roof. I'm about to put in an order, but will have to rethink this. We want the Titanium because of all the other features, but we also used the crossbars on our old car quite a bit: we have a box for camping gear, ski racks for the winter, and of course we'd occasionally haul christmas trees, lumber, etc on the roof.

So do we know if anyone makes after-market crossbars that have a high enough clearance for the panoramic roof? I don't trust myself (ie the kids) to always avoid opening it when cross bars are mounted...

·
Registered
317 Posts
We want the Titanium because of all the other features,...
Then get a Titanium without the sunroof... or did you want a Titanium Elite!
Or look for a 2020; sunroof and HUD were free-standing options.

Search the forum and you'll find a thread that links to crossbars that fit.

·
Registered
2021 ST Line X Edition 190ps Diesel AWD in Lucid Red
11 Posts
Hi from over the pond. I have the Thule aero bars on my 2021 Kuga ( Europes name for Escape ) over here. We can also get genuine bars from Ford. These mention Panoramic roof and have blockers fitted to prevent it opening as in this link. Kuga Roof Cross Bars 12/2019 –. The pic is of my Thule Aero bars.

PXL_20210128_135905713.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi from over the pond. I have the Thule aero bars on my 2021 Kuga over here. We can also get genuine bars from Ford. These mention Panoramic roof and have blockers fitted to prevent it opening as in this link. Kuga Roof Cross Bars 12/2019 –. The pic is of my Thule Aero bars.

View attachment 78704
Wow!
I'm absolutely shocked (jealous is more like it) because they don't make the same set up available to us here as they do for you.
I love the fact that it comes with the lock out for the roof.
The Thule is available here but I haven't found one available here that has a lockout.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Thule aero bars on my 2021 Kuga over here.
Thanks - they look really neat!
So do the Thule aero bars have enough clearance to allow the sunroof to open?
(Or maybe that's irrelevant, what with the British weather and all! 😀)

·
Registered
2021 ST Line X Edition 190ps Diesel AWD in Lucid Red
11 Posts
Thanks - they look really neat!
So do the Thule aero bars have enough clearance to allow the sunroof to open?
(Or maybe that's irrelevant, what with the British weather and all! 😀)
Hi SME. It will literally just touch rear bar, when fully retracted. So i am searching for someone with genuine bars, so i can copy and 3D print the blockers. As they will slide into bottom of Thule aero wings as well. Or I have heard of others in UK with bars that clear.
I will try and find out makes and get some pics of those.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts