2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Escape Titanium 2.0L EcoBoost
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be an ongoing and updated thread, so please check back.

Since I fully retired I have found no real need for a second vehicle so selling my Fiesta ST was just a smart thing to do.
The sale also allowed me to convince my wife to upgrade her car as kind of a two for one deal.
We now own a new 2019 Ford Escape 2.0L EcoBoost Titanium and this is the same engine as the Focus ST.
The choice of a 2019 was purely an economical one as we were able to get almost all of 2020 upgrades at almost $10K in savings.
Additionally there is a need to transport my aging mother to her appointments so, a vehicle that she could get in and out of comfortably was a necessity.
There is no question that it does not handle like my FiST but it sure has a lot of pep

Although my wife told me that there would never be any modifications done to this new car, we have already started modifying.
The funny part is that all the mods with more still coming were at HER request. LOL
I guess, she too likes the idea of having a Singularly Unique Vehicle.

This photo is as purchased except for the first mod, the addition of pinstripes.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2019 Ford Escape Rear Fog Lamp Project

This project was started to provide extra rear lights for safety purposes.
This is also a project I wanted to install on my 2014 Fiesta ST however, the UK fog lamps would
not fit the USDM Fiesta bumper.
The first step was to determine if the UK rear fog lights would fit in the USDM bumper.
With little or no information about this, I ordered the lights to prove this absolutely.

Next, I needed to remove the OEM reflectors.
Reach up behind the rear bumper, press the two tabs on the reflector and push out.

After ensuring proper lamp fitment, I completed the install of both lamps.
I then ordered the needed parts to complete this project.

Complete Parts List

All can be found on eBay.
2PCS Side Rear Bumper Reflector Cover fit for Fog Light Ford Kuga MK2 2013-2018
2x 3157 4157 Bulb Socket Brake Turn Signal Light Harness Wire Plug Connector
2x 3157 High Power New 45-LED White Brake Tail Stop Lamp Light Bulbs 5702A 3357K
Tekonsha 118802 T-One Trailer Wiring Connector
12ft Trailer Light Wiring Harness Extension 4-Pin 18 AWG Flat Wire Connector
Misc. connectors, silicone sealant, heat shrink tubing, wire zip ties, wire harness covering,
and electrical tape, as required.

Now, modifying of some parts is required.
The OEM fog light bulb sockets are different and designed for 1156 single element bulbs.

The replacement sockets must be modified differently to fit the right and left lamps.

I also trimmed the right lamp so that the replacement bulb could be inserted to the proper depth.
I removed about ¼ inch.
This step does not need to be performed unless of course you are anal as I am.

Now the replacement bulb sockets will fit both lamps.
The left socket should install/twist and lock however, the right socket will require silicone
sealant to be held in place tight and waterproof.

The next step is the wiring.
I chose to use the Tekonsha 118802 T-One Trailer Wiring Connector to make this as
plug-n-play as possible also to eliminate cutting and splicing the vehicle factory wiring.
This unit also has been internally updated to prevent back feed or interaction into the vehicle’s
computer system.
In addition, I did not want to plug into the factory trailer connector to avoid any interaction
with that system.
There is a YouTube video that explains this install.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM8RUdyhR2c&list=WL&index=5&t=0s

I made only two changed to this install as described.
I left the trailer connector at a point where it exits through the grommet and under the body.
There it will be connected to fog lamp wiring harness.

I also ran the black power wire to the cargo fuse panel on the right side of the cargo space.

There I connected to an unused terminal.

The one part that must be made.

I needed to make the fog lamp harness by splicing the two bulb sockets to a length of trailer wire.
Here is the wiring information.

From the trailer side connector measure about 1 foot and splice in the left bulb socket.
You can use butt connectors for this however, I prefer to solder, and use heat shrink tubing on
the connections for more reliability.

Now here is where you use the harness covering.

Add the right bulb socket to the other end, about 6 feet from the left bulb socket splice.
This will leave more than enough wire to route the harness and any excess can just be tied up
behind the bumper.

Route the harness between the two fog lamps using zip ties as required and connect to the
module connector as placed before.
Avoid placing the harness close to the exhaust or rear hatch foot sensor (if equipped).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine Cover Badge Install

Since the 2.0L EcoBoost is the same as the Focus ST, I wanted to dress up the engine bay a little.
So, I decided to add a Ford Performance Badge from a 2016-2018 Focus RS.
If you look very close, you will see that the OEM Escape cover is pre-marked foe a badge.
All I had to do was make the holes for the install.

In addition, if you look at the underside, you see the the noise blanket is also pre-cut for this install.

So, all I really had to do was drill the ends of the holes then elongate them into slots to insert the badge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Custom Badges

I have had trouble in the past with "Printed Badges" from most vendors.
The problem is that during installation or even just cleaning the vehicle the printed colors sometimes rub off.
So, I prefer to make them the old fashion method of Layering.
I cut each color in vinyl separately and then assemble the badge.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Your whole thread is a nice write-up. You definitely have the mod bug!:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roll Restrictor Install

Today I installed a new roll restrictor also known as RMM.
I had heard that the part from a Focus ST would fit however, I was unable to confirm this 100%.
So, I ordered the Focus ST roll restrictor from Whoose Motorsports.
I have done business with them before and the part was on sale.

Next 5 bolts as well as the bracket are needed to be removed to extract the OEM part.

As you can see, the parts look different, but the mounting dimensions are the same.

It is hard to see but the install is complete.

After test driving I honestly felt no increase in vibration of any kind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just an update.
I recently updated to the latest Sync version and also the latest Map version.
There was no change in the operation of my Rear Fog Lamp upgrade or no failure of the Lane Control System as was noticed by another member.

In addition after now having driven for a few days with the newly installed Whoosh Roll Restrictor.
I will honestly say that there is a very slight vibration increase however, only noticeable, when setting, at idle, in gear, with the AC on.
The best thing is that it did pass the most important test of all.
My wife did NOT complain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts