2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Escape, and there’s something in the center cup holder that I can’t remove — maybe some kind of melted plastic?

I’m not a car person, nor have I done much work on them, but this gross cup holder is killing me! Is it worth it to try to take apart the console myself and replace the entire cup holder, or should I just buy a liner and put it on top of the damaged holder so I don’t have to look at it?

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
A person put up a guide of sorts on Youtube on how to take out the center console. It doesn't seem that tough but then again it's a lot easier to talk about doing something then to actually do it yourself. Still, it doesn't seem to difficult and seems like it can be done with just hand tools.

As for separating the cup holders from the console itself....I don't now difficult that will be or if it's possible. I looks like to separate plastic pieces though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is it the side plastic or the insert on the bottom? If it’s the bottom you can probably find a replacement that can be pulled out. I’d vote on not ripping it apart solely because the plastics around the console were a major source of creaks and rattles when I first bought my used 2016, I’d only do it if it already rattles and buy some felt tape to make it better than original in all ways.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If it is like the other models it is just a rubber insert as suggested that can be pulled out from the cup holder area by a tab at the rear of it. Or it could be just round rubber inserts in the base that can also be taken out.
The melted plastic you speak of could be melted rubber on the insert where someone dropped a cigarette or whatever.
This is not your model but describes one insert am referring to.

If there is no rubber liner there and it is actually the plastic cup holder itself that is damaged I would suggest that you try and source a rubber insert from EBay or Amazon or wherever to cover the damage rather than try and pull the console apart to replace the cupholders.
Apparently you can get aftermarket inserts that should fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts