2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
That would also prevent the dealer disabling the dash cam by unplugging the power- like just happened to me.

(They must have been mad at me catching them out last month "mixing" my supplied 5.5l of oil with who knows what from a plastic jug. Idiots- the oil level doesn't have to be all the way to the top mark.)
OMG! Did they actually do that?! I caught my service tech overfilling my oil by about 1 liter. I took it back and when I looked at the invoice at home it said, "removed 1/10th of a liter at customer request" that was a LIE. Either the tech lied to the service manager (who wrote the invoice) to save his job, or the manager lied to me in case my engine was damaged. I my be old and stupid BUT I can read a dipstick, and those "dipsticks" will only be doing my warranty work from now on. If they mess up again, I'll be getting my warranty work done at another local dealership. I meant MAY not MY. Edit won't work now.:(

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
I deliberately supplied the correct amount of oil to prevent them over filling it (they've over filled it at the two previous services.) Actually, I supplied ~100ml extra as my manual says 5.4l including the oil filter. The "Tech" filling the oil can be seen tipping oil in, placing the container down and straight away checking the level. Surely a qualified Ford Tech would have the brains to realise the oil doesn't magically pour straight into the sump- it takes some time to flow from the head to the sump. I've also caught them using compressed air to clean the paper air filter- not a wise thing to do from my mechanical knowledge as the compressed air can force dirt through the filter.

So, yes, the last visit was to correct their stuff ups. They shouldn't have required the vehicle to do what was required but asked for my keys. When it was handed back to me the front dash cam (which operates off the interior light delay circuit) was disconnected. I let the Customers Relations lady know I wasn't impressed- they should have at least reconnected the power when they were finished.

People in the UK have reported Ford dealers disconnecting cameras as well. It tempts me to actually fit a hidden camera system to see what they're trying to hide.

Anyway, back to the topic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do you have part number, would like to look into it.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ordrerd from

And video from the instalaltion and day&night driving (not from me, ist form russian guy )

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I recently swapped the dash cam I have in the front to one that sits near the base of the windshield. Is this a safe place to run the wire? It's not tucked deeply, just enough to keep it stable. I am not sure how the air bag works with the pillar and I don't want to stick the wire somewhere that will interfere.

Thanks!

2019-06-07 11.27.16.jpg

·
Registered
751 Posts
The mechanism for the curtain air bag is inside that pillar and the leading edge of the air bag itself deploys just above the top of the pillar join but is supported by a cord that attaches towards the bottom of the inside of the pillar.
The A pillar tends to detach from the top a couple of inches but the bottom appears to stay intact in the case of a deployment.

Could you explain exactly where you want to run the cable please?

I am thinking across the base of the windscreen and just tucked in across the base of the A pillar and across the top edge of the dash and down under the door frame rubber to be secured through the gaps in the underside of the glove box and then under the base of the centre console and up to the cig. lighter socket unless you are hard wiring it?

You could run the cable in a similar way on the driver's side I suppose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys i have a dash cam installed and ran the plug to the center console but its power always so i want to do the add a fuse thing now after reading i thought i would just post up here and someone will direct me so im not wasting more time trying to figure this out.

So question is, i buy add a fuse and i would tap into number 85 BUT do i buy a cigarette accessory female adapter OR a 12v to 5v converter micro usb such as this
Car DC 12V to 5V Power Inverter Micro USB Hard Wired Converter Kit
I cant post links so heres the title of item

Whats needed and the better way to do it?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey guys i have a dash cam installed and ran the plug to the center console but its power always so i want to do the add a fuse thing now after reading i thought i would just post up here and someone will direct me so im not wasting more time trying to figure this out.

So question is, i buy add a fuse and i would tap into number 85 BUT do i buy a cigarette accessory female adapter OR a 12v to 5v converter micro usb such as this

I do not know which is the better way to do it but the easier way is to be like me and forget about hard wiring and just remove the dash cam charger from cig. lighter socket when parked.

Also makes it easier to remove the camera if you wish to sell the car later on.

Just my view....:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do not know which is the better way to do it but the easier way is to be like me and forget about hard wiring and just remove the dash cam charger from cig. lighter socket when parked.

Also makes it easier to remove the camera if you wish to sell the car later on.

Just my view....:)
Haha yes we have been doing this method or well trying to_Out of a week we remember once haha.Its always recording.This morning went to grab something from vehicle and it was on opps its been on since thursday. So thats the reason we want to do it a better way.

Wish they had these plugs to work with the key on and off or atleast a little switch so you can choose if you want the plug to turn off with ignition or always have power

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
The mechanism for the curtain air bag is inside that pillar and the leading edge of the air bag itself deploys just above the top of the pillar join but is supported by a cord that attaches towards the bottom of the inside of the pillar.
The A pillar tends to detach from the top a couple of inches but the bottom appears to stay intact in the case of a deployment.

Could you explain exactly where you want to run the cable please?

I am thinking across the base of the windscreen and just tucked in across the base of the A pillar and across the top edge of the dash and down under the door frame rubber to be secured through the gaps in the underside of the glove box and then under the base of the centre console and up to the cig. lighter socket unless you are hard wiring it?

You could run the cable in a similar way on the driver's side I suppose.
Sorry for being unclear. The cable can be seen in my pic along the bottom of the pillar.

I have it along the drivers side because it's powered via the OBD port.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sorry for being unclear. The cable can be seen in my pic along the bottom of the pillar.

I have it along the drivers side because it's powered via the OBD port.

Oh, sorry....I see it now. :) Should be fine there as this part of the pillar does not move much in the case of air bag deployment to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #252

multiple ways of doing it. all valid.
go with what is cheaper.
make sure you get something with long enough cords. probably need around 3 meters, to route the cable the long way around and stay hidden behind trim.

female cig socket and or that converter kit is about the same difficulty. just a few crimp or solder connections.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this to power my dash cam and it works great. powers on with vehicle and powers off after a couple of minutes after turning of the vehicle. Low profile odb2 end lets me put the obd2 cover over the end.

REARMASTER Universal OBD Power Cable for Dash Camera,24 hours Surveillance / ACC mode with switch button

·
Registered
751 Posts
Looking good...quite a lot of dash reflection especially when driving towards the sun but they all do that and there is not much you can do about it apart from fitting a camera filter which does help to a degree.
Problem is that filters reduce the dashcam vision at night.

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
A polarising filter would make a big difference to the reflections, but you'd need to take it off at night. The pictures/ video look decent (given Youtube destroys the video quality.)

·
Registered
751 Posts
That is quite good night vision.

Just a screenshot of mine on a cloudy day. This is a A$40 ($28 US) Alfawise cheapie but does the job quite well day and night.

It picks up a little of the R/V mirror surround on the RHS but that does not worry me as the dashcam is out of the driver's sight behind the mirror itself... :)

It also has wifi video download and parking mode and motion detection with the camera off and it's not hardwired in.

These dashcams are coming down a lot in price these days as competition gets fierce as they become more popular with more brands being produced I suppose.

Perhaps eventually they will become a standard factory fitting such as SatNav and rear cameras etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
My dashcam, the Waylens Secure 360, is mounted way below the windshield as opposed to the top/rearview mirror. It is powered directly to the fuses to operate on low power when the car is parked. Here’s a sample video:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 288 Posts