2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
My dashcam, the Waylens Secure 360, is mounted way below the windshield as opposed to the top/rearview mirror. It is powered directly to the fuses to operate on low power when the car is parked. Here’s a sample video:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looks cool. Let us know how you like it as time goes by? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,063 Posts
(For anyone watching Dash Cam vision off Youtube, Youtube's compression usually destroys the fine detail in the videos.)

·
Registered
744 Posts

Visit to shopping centre downloaded from dashcam by wifi to Computer. Some picture quality loss due to video upload to YouTube to place here but you get the idea.
Saves a lot of fiddling with removing and replacing those miniature sd cards or the camera itself to view videos.;)

Bit of Nat King Cole going on with my 50's, 60's music USB..showing my age now....:cool::cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
1) I would like to mount my dashcam high and just to the right of the rear view mirror (i.e. passenger side). Anyone see a problem with that location?
2) In routing the wiring, I intend to wire it under the headliner and down the passenger side A pillar trim. Do I need to drop the headliner to do this?
3) I've read that the A pillar trim has 2 clips at the top that need to be depressed and the rest of the trim just pulls off. Can someone confirm this?
3) After I get the A pillar trim off, how do I route the wiring from the bottom of the A pillar down to the passenger side fuse panel without exposing the wiring?
4) There are a LOT of trim removal kits on Amazon. Can someone recommend one that they're happy with?

This is my first post on the forum. Hope I'm not breaking any rules!

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
1) I would like to mount my dashcam high and just to the right of the rear view mirror (i.e. passenger side). Anyone see a problem with that location?
2) In routing the wiring, I intend to wire it under the headliner and down the passenger side A pillar trim. Do I need to drop the headliner to do this?
3) I've read that the A pillar trim has 2 clips at the top that need to be depressed and the rest of the trim just pulls off. Can someone confirm this?
3) After I get the A pillar trim off, how do I route the wiring from the bottom of the A pillar down to the passenger side fuse panel without exposing the wiring?
4) There are a LOT of trim removal kits on Amazon. Can someone recommend one that they're happy with?

Welcome to the forum. I merged your thread with this existing thread. Have a look at some of the other posts for some help with your questions.

·
Registered
92 Posts

1. Shouldn't be a problem. Mine is behind the mirror on the passenger side.

2. No you don't. You can stuff the wire in the headliner pretty easily. There is a fairly large gap between the headliner and the windshield.

3. I didn't need to pull the whole A pillar completely off. I was able to just pop it off about half an inch and shove the wire under it while avoiding the airbag.

3 (again?). There is a trim panel on the side of the glove box that pops off pretty easily. You can tuck the wire under the black door seal part and route it through the gaping hole after taking the glove box trim off.

4. I cannot. Have not found one I am completely happy with.

I might be able to take some pics tonight when I get home if you need them.

·
Registered
744 Posts

2. No you don't. You can stuff the wire in the headliner pretty easily. There is a fairly large gap between the headliner and the windshield.

3. I didn't need to pull the whole A pillar completely off. I was able to just pop it off about half an inch and shove the wire under it while avoiding the airbag.

3 (again?). There is a trim panel on the side of the glove box that pops off pretty easily. You can tuck the wire under the black door seal part and route it through the gaping hole after taking the glove box trim off.

Yes...that is the go and exactly what I did including the actual dashcam location. Not sure what Escape model you have but just make sure that it is located far enough to the right behind the R/V mirror so that is does not pick up part of the mirror surround when recording. The later model Escapes like mine seem to have a bigger mirror surround. In my case the videos just pick up a tip of the surround which does not worry me as the camera itself is out of my line of sight from the drivers seat.

In my case I did not hard wire it in but just continued the cable from the top headliner corner and just pushed it under the top of the A pillar join and down the door frame rubber as suggested and under the glove box and under the centre console and up to the cig. lighter socket and the cable itself is virtually invisible to that point.

By hard wiring it in through the side of the glove box as suggested the cable will certainly be invisible.

You do not need a trim removal kit. Just tuck the cable in by hand or use the back of a plastic spoon or similar to make it easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Kevin. Your comments are very helpful. If you could take a few pics that would be even better (if it's not too much trouble.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes...that is the go and exactly what I did including the actual dashcam location. Not sure what Escape model you have but just make sure that it is located far enough to the right behind the R/V mirror so that is does not pick up part of the mirror surround when recording. The later model Escapes like mine seem to have a bigger mirror surround. In my case the videos just pick up a tip of the surround which does not worry me as the camera itself is out of my line of sight from the drivers seat.

In my case I did not hard wire it in but just continued the cable from the top headliner corner and just pushed it under the top of the A pillar join and down the door frame rubber as suggested and under the glove box and under the centre console and up to the cig. lighter socket and the cable itself is virtually invisible to that point.

By hard wiring it in through the side of the glove box as suggested the cable will certainly be invisible.

You do not need a trim removal kit. Just tuck the cable in by hand or use the back of a plastic spoon or similar to make it easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks John. My Escape is a 2017 model and yes, there is a fairly large mirror surround to deal with. Good to know that I won't need a trim removal kit for this if I can find something that won't scratch the panels when I remove them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Kevin. Your comments are very helpful. If you could take a few pics that would be even better (if it's not too much trouble.)
I will get some tonight when I get home. Mine is a 2013 so I guess the mirror surround is smaller but from the placement on it should be the same.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will get some tonight when I get home. Mine is a 2013 so I guess the mirror surround is smaller but from the placement on it should be the same.
Here's what mine looks like:

I tucked the wire in the headliner as you can kind of see. I did have to pull the headliner down a tad to get the pic but you don't need to to put the wire up there:

You can grab the A pillar trim where it meets the headliner and pull and it should come out as far as the below pic. You can also run the wire behind the airbag to go from the front of the pillar to the back. It looks difficult but there should be enough stiffness in the wire you are using to push it behind. I didn't pull the bottom part away because I did not want to stuff it back under the door seal part but it should also come off pretty easy. If you are having too much trouble, the whole A pillar can come completely off if you squeeze the top clip (I have also just pulled hard and had it come out).

This is where you can kind of see the wire but it's such a small part that nobody except you will see it. Mine actually displaced some of the trim plastic so you can see that instead. You could probably hide it completely with enough effort but it wasn't that big of a deal to me:

To run the wire behind the glove box, you can pull the pictured trim piece off. I can pry this off with my fingers; no tools required as long as you open the glove box. This is also the hardest piece, in my opinion, to put back on but is well worth it for a clean install.

And here is behind the panel. You can see three wires because I have run my dashcam power wire, backup camera video feed wire, and microphone wire for my aftermarket headunit. I also circled where you can barely see the light coming through. I did run it without taking the glove box off but you can take it off if you want.

The camera is then plugged in to one of the fuses that's only hot when the ignition is on. I saw someone mention they ran theirs to the 12V outlet but mine are always hot so I wasn't going to do that. Any good dashcam IMO is on when you're driving and uses it's own internal battery to record if the car is hit while parked.

I can try to take more pics if you need them or if my explanations didn't make sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's what mine looks like:
View attachment 75224

I tucked the wire in the headliner as you can kind of see. I did have to pull the headliner down a tad to get the pic but you don't need to to put the wire up there:
View attachment 75225

You can grab the A pillar trim where it meets the headliner and pull and it should come out as far as the below pic. You can also run the wire behind the airbag to go from the front of the pillar to the back. It looks difficult but there should be enough stiffness in the wire you are using to push it behind. I didn't pull the bottom part away because I did not want to stuff it back under the door seal part but it should also come off pretty easy. If you are having too much trouble, the whole A pillar can come completely off if you squeeze the top clip (I have also just pulled hard and had it come out).

View attachment 75226

This is where you can kind of see the wire but it's such a small part that nobody except you will see it. Mine actually displaced some of the trim plastic so you can see that instead. You could probably hide it completely with enough effort but it wasn't that big of a deal to me:
View attachment 75227

To run the wire behind the glove box, you can pull the pictured trim piece off. I can pry this off with my fingers; no tools required as long as you open the glove box. This is also the hardest piece, in my opinion, to put back on but is well worth it for a clean install.
View attachment 75228

And here is behind the panel. You can see three wires because I have run my dashcam power wire, backup camera video feed wire, and microphone wire for my aftermarket headunit. I also circled where you can barely see the light coming through. I did run it without taking the glove box off but you can take it off if you want.
View attachment 75229

The camera is then plugged in to one of the fuses that's only hot when the ignition is on. I saw someone mention they ran theirs to the 12V outlet but mine are always hot so I wasn't going to do that. Any good dashcam IMO is on when you're driving and uses it's own internal battery to record if the car is hit while parked.

I can try to take more pics if you need them or if my explanations didn't make sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great pictures, Kevin, that helps me a lot! No need to take any more, I think I've got it now. Once again, thanks for all the effort you put into this. I'm sure this will help other Escape owners as well with their install.

·
Registered
744 Posts

Ideally they should be hard wired in.
As mentioned earlier mine is just plugged in to the cig. lighter socket which is the same as yours and always 'live'. I just remove it from the socket when parked and the camera battery takes over for parking hits or movement modes.
The charger itself also has a USB socket for charging phones as well as a blue light on top to remind me to remove it when not driving... :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys i have a dash cam installed and ran the plug to the center console but its power always so i want to do the add a fuse thing now after reading i thought i would just post up here and someone will direct me so im not wasting more time trying to figure this out.

So question is, i buy add a fuse and i would tap into number 85 BUT do i buy a cigarette accessory female adapter OR a 12v to 5v converter micro usb such as this
Car DC 12V to 5V Power Inverter Micro USB Hard Wired Converter Kit
I cant post links so heres the title of item

Whats needed and the better way to do it?
It's power always WHAT?
I am going nuts trying to figure that out. I just got a dashcam and don't know beans about hard wiring the camera without opening a can of worms in the process. Thanks...

261 - 280 of 288 Posts