2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Dash Camera Install

138K views 295 replies 69 participants last post by  mylesmweiss 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Although this isnt to terribly difficult, i though i would post a DIY just in case people didn't realize how easy it is.

parts needed:
dash cam (I originally bought the Wide-Angle-Mobius-ActionCam-1080p-HD-Video-Camera-With-Dash-Cam-Kit-Mobius actioncam)
but now i prefer the A118C https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/#Should_I_Purchase
9ft. usb wire (included in the kit i bought)
usb adapter (included in the kit i bought)
suction cup mount (included in the kit)
add-a-fuse Lot5 Car ATM Fuse Tap Add A Fuse Add A Circuit for Mini Blade Style Fuse 15AFUSE | eBay
miscelaneous wiring, solder, connectors, crimper etc.

orignally i used a USB cigarette plug adapter, but now i use a 12v to 5v convertor, they're <$3

First step was the USB cigarette plug adapter. the easy way is just to buy a female socket.

but what i did was pull my plug apart and soldered a wire to the power and ground, then taped it back up.

The power wire gets attached to the add-a-fuse. the add-a-fuse goes into fuse 87 in the passenger fuse box. the usb adapter i zap straped out of the way.

To the ground i crimped a ring terminal and put it under one of the plastic atachment posts for the vanity cover, making sure it contacts the metal well.

the long USB wire followed the door seal and kick panel, up under the A pillar, then along under the head liner along the path shown below.

finally, attached the camera mount ot the suction cup and stick to winshield. it was quite discreet from the outside.

Here is an example of the video quality of the Mobius. This is from my Ford Focus, but it has the same camera as the Escape.
crash through snow bank ice rally-x - YouTube

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for the write-up! I actually just ordered a dash cam earlier this week after reading some horror stories on reddit. :) Picked up the G1W-C.

One thing I want to go for is a clean install, snaking the wiring through the door seal/kick panel/pillar. Does most of that just pop off and pop back on? Any tips/tricks to doing so? I certainly do not want to break anything.

#12 ·
The idea behind the dash cam is for it to work at all times without you having to do anything. This is why Thenorm has configured it this way, so that it turns on and off with the engine. If you have to turn it on and off manually or plug it in each time, you'll do that for maybe a week and then quit because your drives will be uneventful, then it's pointless.

Any self-respecting dash cam begins recording automatically as soon as it receives power, so it makes sense to tie it to a fuse. If I'm not mistaken, the cigarette power outlet in the console is switched with the engine, so that's an option as well if your cable has the length.

The amount it records really depends on the size of the memory card you put in it. Most cams will continuously record in around 5-minute increments, providing you many different files. This splits it up so that if you do record something you want to keep, you only have to grab a small file instead of cutting down a multi-gigabyte file. Once the card fills up, it will begin overwriting the oldest, continuing on in a loop.

If you get a big enough card, you can typically hold hours worth of high-definition video. So, if you are in an accident, you have plenty of time to allow it to continue recording and still be able to go back and get the video you need. To go further with this, some dash cams give you the ability to hit a button on the camera, which will lock whatever 5-minute video file is currently recording. That file will then not be overwritten but allows you to continue recording on without fear of overwriting something important.

I'm getting the G1W-C dash cam, a very cheap but well regarded cam. I've read you can typically get about 6 hours of video with a 32GB card, which is enough to cover my whole week of driving back and forth to work before it starts overwriting.

#6 ·
the way these are set up is that they turn on when the vehicle ignition is on. when the memory card fills up, it just starts overwriting.

They are esentially fool proof. I didnt want it to have to be plugged in each time to use, or removed from the vehicle when you park due to fear of theft. I needed it to be a silent witness, that is always there.

The camera I picked is cheap enough that if someone stole it, i wouldnt be upset.

the reason i use it is that I had gotten blamed for an accident a few years ago that wasn't my fault, but the other driver lied, and there were no witnesses to corroborate my statement. so a $100 camera is cheap insurance to protect me against future fraud.

here, i remembed i've got a video of some on the road action. I almost got hit, and then witnesses an accident.

#8 ·
the way these are set up is that they turn on when the vehicle ignition is on. when the memory card fills up, it just starts overwriting.

They are esentially fool proof. I didnt want it to have to be plugged in each time to use, or removed from the vehicle when you park due to fear of theft. I needed it to be a silent witness, that is always there.

The camera I picked is cheap enough that if someone stole it, i wouldnt be upset.

the reason i use it is that I had gotten blamed for an accident a few years ago that wasn't my fault, but the other driver lied, and there were no witnesses to corroborate my statement. so a $100 camera is cheap insurance to protect me against future fraud.

here, i remembed i've got a video of some on the road action. I almost got hit, and then witnesses an accident.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXLiBtECvC0
Excellent. Yes very true. I think I'm going to do this as well. I appreciate the post! How big is the storage and how long does it take to fill? Like you said I'm fine with it over writing but I'd like a day or two I suppose.

#15 ·
#206 · (Edited by Moderator)
2014 Ford Escape SE AWD

Has anyone here installed a 2-channel dash cam with front & rear cameras on their Escape? If so how easy is it to route the coax cable to the rear camera so it's hidden. I googled and search the forum but no videos or articles about it.

Thanks!

I just installed the new CompuStar dual Dash cam. It has both a front and rear cam (Both 720P). I do not have yet pictures of the install but do have a sample video, unfortunately how it creates it video file and how Youtube processes their uploaded files it will only show the front cam.

https://youtu.be/glZ28951T3s

This is the one I got: Compustar DASH | HD Surveillance and Security Camera System
I'm just now considering installing a dual dash cam. How did you route the coax cable for the rear camera?

#16 ·
Just wanted to thank you for this walkthrough again. Just got mine installed and wired up with an add-a-fuse circuit!

I somehow took this at the right angle to show a gap between the camera and the cable-hiding piece and now it's driving me crazy... Totally not noticeable in person though, haha.

#17 ·
Just wanted to thank you for this walkthrough again. Just got mine installed and wired up with an add-a-fuse circuit!

I somehow took this at the right angle to show a gap between the camera and the cable-hiding piece and now it's driving me crazy... Totally not noticeable in person though, haha.
Great Job.
I like the form factor on that camera. very discreet. Personally I wouldn't have bothered with the wire cover. Its mostly hidden behind the mirror anyways.

#18 ·
I'll preface this by saying I'm ignorant of the laws in my own state, let alone all the other states - and this comment is strictly from a "devil's advocate" point of view, but what if you're in an accident and it WAS your fault?

Are authorities able to confiscate the video and use it as evidence against you?

#19 ·
yes? I'm sure you could be compelled to submit it to the police or your insurance. However if you were at fault, you would admit as much, since you are a responsible person, and the video would be moot.

I think the general consensus on the internet is don't mention you have video, unless the claim process is not proceeding in a fair manner and you need additional proof of your innocence.

#20 ·
Clean installs folks, nice work!

Since I'm not a fan of running any additional wires in my FE, I have this one with an internal battery. It's a bit of a pain to have to recharge every few days, but not the end of the world.

#21 ·
.... Since I'm not a fan of running any additional wires in my FE, I have this one with an internal battery.....
Interesting, prompts a few questions ...
1. With no wiring to the FE, what turns it on/off? Is that done manually?
2. Got any installed pics from the front and back showing how it fits over the FE mirror?
3. Is the on-mirror display always "on" and if you can turn it 'off' does that section then become part of the normal rear-view mirror?
4. At 12.4" wide does it interfere with sun-visor operation?

TIA

#23 ·
Hi Thenorm

Nice job on the installation. Just wondering if you know if fuse 87 is constantly on ( like the 12V outlet) or does it power on when the ignition is engaged.

Thanks

Steve

#24 ·
On both USA and CA models fuse 87 is hot only when ignition is in "run" (not "accessory"). That's the fuse I tapped for the DRL mod for my USA FE so they only come on when the engine is running.

That's why Thenorm's camera is auto-on when he drives, auto-off when he doesn't, as described above in post number 6.

IF you wanted the ability to optionally record with the ignition off, you could parallel-wire a tap to always-hot fuse 66 with a discrete switch between that tap and a "Y" in the power feed to the camera after the fuse 87 tap. Not saying you should, but if you wanted the camera audio to keep recording with the key off .... for example during a 'traffic-stop' :-0

HTH

#25 ·
if you wanted to you could wire up to a constant 12V source and use a "Power Magic" to control the power. It keeps recording until your battery reaches a certain discharge level (voltage) then it closes the circuit. but you would get a bunch of hours of recording after you shut off the car.

the other option is fined a circuit that is on for accessory. they stay powered for around 20minutes after you turn the car off.

#26 ·
Great info here, thanks guys. I just installed my Thinkware FS750 with rear camera using fuse 87 for ACC and 66 for the always on. Works perfectly.
I used the add-a-fuse type of tap as well and it was a quick and easy install (once I realized these cars use mini-fuses)

#165 ·
How did you get the camera cable from the rear end of the car into the lift gate? How do those panels come off? Did you have to drill an extra hole next to where the OEM backup camera cable is located? I could use any and all tips on this specific part of the installation. The transition "gap" between the car & the lift gate has got me scratching my head. Thanks: Dave :eek:

#31 ·
I tried it also not working. My is Canada car. All the spare fuse connecting on passenger side under the glove box are no power with engine running or not. The interest part all the connecting are no detente (like spring) to hold the fuse or connector. The fuse or connector just slips out without any effort. I spent two days to check and check, none of them are working. The only location I found is the passenger side rear fuse panel can tap power for ignition on. But I got hard time to route the wire. There are insulation under the panel hard to fish the wire.

#32 ·
The interest part all the connecting are no detente (like spring) to hold the fuse or connector. The fuse or connector just slips out without any effort.
sorry, does this mean that there is no spade connector present?

when i was wiring up my trailer lights, I used a un-used fuse in the rear fuse box that only had 1 half of the fuse connector. (power came to 1 half of the fuse slot, but there were no wiring to send the power out)

has anyone check to see if there is wiring on the backside coming into 87?

#33 ·
I put a fuse to 87 ( actually all open spare connection) and the fuse is so easy (loose) to sit in the slot. The fuse just can't hold in place because it don't have spring action to hold like those in use fuse slot. F57,58,63,64,68,87,88 and 89 are empty one have no power neither ignition on or off and all those slot can't hold a fuse or spade connector due to no spring action like the normal use fuse slot.

2013 1.6 auto AWD SE Black

#34 ·
I received a Geko e100 camera for christmas as my secret santa gift at work and want to hardwire it in.

I was going to order this type of kit but want to be sure I get the fuse type right for my 2014 E

Dash Cam Installation Kit: USB Output - Mini Fuse - Plug and Play!

any idea if we use mini or micro? Let me know so I don't order the wrong kit! Thanks!

#37 ·
If you've got the Ambient LED lighting then remove your glovebox and check for a two pin plug taped back on the loom (located where the glovebox hinges.)

I found I've got the stock lighting wiring (as well as the ambient lighting) so I've hooked my dash cam into that plug. It powers it for the 20 odd minutes that the BCM times out the interior light circuit after turning the ignition off.

#43 ·
I need to install a power inverter...

And the wires are needing to go to the battery directly...Both are 4 gauge and need to draw lots of current to power my 1600 watt inverter...

The lines I ran to the switched spot on the fuse panel was for my scanner, homelink mirror, and the radio I have installed...

#45 ·
I got a camera for my '16, and before I run the power cable (I was thinking about using the route on the first post of this thread), however two things I don't want to do is void my extended warranty and I don't want to interfere with the operations of the air bags (especially as they seem to have put airbags any place they seem to fit).

The warranty is minor (if properly wired to the fuse block with an add-a-tap, and properly grounded, it shouldn't bother anything, so should be OK), but my real stop-and-think moment is about the airbags.

Input is appreciated, thanks!

#49 ·
We had our 2013 baby hit on the rear right panel when the slob next to us in the lot pulled out too sharply. Of course, they just left. Just scratched the paint down to the plastic and no patch paint for this color available - it will be a dealer visit. Camera would have been perfect. Going on a trip to California soon so more reason to have this insurance - ordered a FalconZero F170 and will bring it along. Great posting - thanks for this!

#50 ·
I had my new dash cam installed today. I read through this thread several times, and asked a few questions of a couple of members, to be sure of everything that was involved. It was really as simple as has been previously described. I opted to have a car stereo installer friend do the work, because he has installed a number of these dash cameras before, and his company is right across the street from where I work. It took him all of about thirty minutes.

I only needed five items, and he was happy to have everything he needed:

I got the same camera Knolly and Thenorm bought: B40 A118 Novatek 96650 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281365383644

I purchased a longer USB cable on ebay as well. 10 ft Black 2 0 USB Type A to Mini B Male to Male 5 Pin Cable for Printer Camera | eBay I could have used a shorter cable, but I was told it was nice having extra length to avoid the air bags. My installer friend said it was a piece of cake.

I also got the Converter needed to plug in the USB cable. DC 12V 24V to USB 5V 3A 15W Converter Regulator Sale - Banggood.com The mentioned advantage of this converter is that if it fails, it’s a simple matter to replace it, rather than having to dismantle everything and fish out all the other wiring. There is a real convenience to USB connectivity.

And also, per Thenorm’s recommendation, I bought the Add-a-fuse tap to connect the Converter to fuse 87 in the passenger well fuse box. Lot5 Car ATM Fuse Tap Add A Fuse Add A Circuit for Mini Blade Style Fuse 15AFUSE | eBay

And finally, I got a 32gb Class 10 MicroSD card from a local store for about $15.

The biggest decision was where to mount it in the car. I had planned to mount it behind the mirror, but my installer said it might interfere with the autodimming mirror sensor. Due to the fisheye angle the lens uses, mounting it too high caused the dot-pattern layer on the center of the upper windshield to be captured in the video. So we ended up putting it as shown in the images below. It’s high enough on the window that it isn’t even noticeable from inside after a few minutes. From the outside, you have to really look at the car to see that it’s even there.

All in all, this is a nice addition. After I’ve lived with this for a month or so, I intend to have another one installed on the rear window. Should be easy to do.

My thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and to those of you who responded to my private message questions. I sincerely appreciate the help.

And as an aside, notice my shout-out to the Rio Olympics with the wallpaper on the Nav screen. ;)

Dave

Attachments

#56 ·
I had my new dash cam installed today. I read through this thread several times, and asked a few questions of a couple of members, to be sure of everything that was involved. It was really as simple as has been previously described. I opted to have a car stereo installer friend do the work, because he has installed a number of these dash cameras before, and his company is right across the street from where I work. It took him all of about thirty minutes.

My thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and to those of you who responded to my private message questions. I sincerely appreciate the help.

And as an aside, notice my shout-out to the Rio Olympics with the wallpaper on the Nav screen. ;)

Dave
thanks for the followup post and the validation of the original method.

heres a new vid of mine from another b40 A118 I have in my Mustang. It is my winning run from a recent autox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.