2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very surprising talk with a dealer on my 30 day old 2013 Titanium.

We bought the car about 30 miles away. On delivery day, as the sales-guy was demoing the features, we noticed that the panorama roof sunshade was detached from the transporter mechanism. Looks like a broken plastic part. We decided to take delivery and get it fixed later.

Fast forward to today. Took the car to our nearest Ford dealer for repair. Service guy calls and indicates there is doubt that he will fix the sunshade. Said they will have to send pictures up to someone in Ford and get approval and/or (story changed a little) his service manager will have to approve it. Implication was that they were viewing this as customer-caused damage.

I explained that the defect was present on delivery and suggested he contact the selling dealer for verification. He suggested that perhaps they would have to "drive up and get the car so they could fix it."

I have been buying new cars for, oh about 45 years, and have some entertaining warranty discussions (clutch failure at 800 miles not covered as it's a wear item?) but I was actually stunned at this as (1) it's really hard to imagine what customer misuse would break this mechanism, and (2) it if broke for any reason in 30 days it should pretty much be considered defective, and (3) just fix it and bill Ford.

I surmise I am missing something about defects on delivery and who's responsible?

Comments? Advice?

(Edit -- wanted to add that the service rep has been very pleasant and communicative -- no problem with attitude, etc. It's the policy that seems, frankly, idiotic.)

·
Registered
549 Posts

We bought the car about 30 miles away. On delivery day, as the sales-guy was demoing the features, we noticed that the panorama roof sunshade was detached from the transporter mechanism. Looks like a broken plastic part. We decided to take delivery and get it fixed later.

Fast forward to today. Took the car to our nearest Ford dealer for repair. Service guy calls and indicates there is doubt that he will fix the sunshade. Said they will have to send pictures up to someone in Ford and get approval and/or (story changed a little) his service manager will have to approve it. Implication was that they were viewing this as customer-caused damage.

I explained that the defect was present on delivery and suggested he contact the selling dealer for verification. He suggested that perhaps they would have to "drive up and get the car so they could fix it."

I have been buying new cars for, oh about 45 years, and have some entertaining warranty discussions (clutch failure at 800 miles not covered as it's a wear item?) but I was actually stunned at this as (1) it's really hard to imagine what customer misuse would break this mechanism, and (2) it if broke for any reason in 30 days it should pretty much be considered defective, and (3) just fix it and bill Ford.

I surmise I am missing something about defects on delivery and who's responsible?

Comments? Advice?

(Edit -- wanted to add that the service rep has been very pleasant and communicative -- no problem with attitude, etc. It's the policy that seems, frankly, idiotic.)
Evidently you accepted the vehicle with the defect. Another dealer doesn't have to believe you when you say "it came that way." Take it back to the original dealer and get the repair done there. What's the big deal?

·
Registered
417 Posts
You should not have driven it off the dealership lot, or had the seller document the problem with photos and written documentation. The second dealership doesn't have any knowledge of this and is following the warranty procedure. It doesn't sound like they have denied the warranty work, they're waiting for confirmation. If the second dealership denies the work, take it back to the original dealership, speak to the salesperson you reported the damage to and have it fixed there. If Ford denies work at #2, and #1 has no knowledge of the damage at delivery, you may SOL.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts

Comments? Advice?

I can understand a dealer wanting to cross their t's over damage that *could* have been caused by the owner. After all, you know you, but the dealer does not. :eek: That said, it would seem a quick call to your original dealer to verify the damage would have answered that question. After that maybe they would have to get Ford's stamp of approval, since Ford has to eat the cost. But the passing-the-buck/run-around reaction is too common. I don't know if it's more prevalent with one manufacturer over another, but there certainly have been reports of it here.

(Of course more people who have car problems tend to find these discussion boards, across the board - no pun intended - regardless of manufacturer.)

It's just dumb. If a dealer wants to build loyalty, this is not the way to do it. Even one bad - or good - experience can change someone's mind about future purchases, referrals, and dollars spent on service. Why not give just a little more than expected? Some service departments treat the customer as the enemy.

You've purchased cars for 45 years so you know the drill: be calm but stick to your guns; maybe call dealer #1 yourself, even your sales person to find out who s/he thinks the best person to talk to is. If necessary go up the ladder at the dealer, and of course you can call Ford customer service.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
Talk with the sales person that sold the vehicle to you, what they would have given you is a IOU slip, that they will fix the problem no questions asked. I had to go through a similar situation, with my pax doors, rubbing against each other. My Advisor had to take pictures send it to Ford, to get the OK, then they allowed me to take it to my shop, pending they were willing to accept the payment Ford is willing to pay, to have it repaired, meaning repaint part of door, and adjust the doors. - Learning the hard way to have everything in writing, cause when your dealing with Sales and service and parts, the right hand doesn't talk to the middle or left hand.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Ditto what Pilot said about the sales person. Ours happens to be one who goes to bat for his customers after-sale. But even if yours is not, getting verification that the problem existed at pick up should be possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It is problematic that you left the lot with it in that state - usually there is an IOU form as a part of the sale where it all gets documented. I think the "getting approval" process from Ford though may be standard. My EcoBoost badge on my 1 year old 2013 needed to be replaced recently due to paint chipping off, I took a pic and sent it to my sales guy - they confirmed with Ford and it was replaced free of charge as part of the bumper to bumper. You may want to try a different dealership - I am surprised how many here get such a bad time at dealerships, I do not know how they stay in business as I regularly get surveys from Ford after service and my dealership is very in tune/sensitive about making sure that they get reviewed well after service. I feel really fortunate to have a dealership that is good at customer service. Assuming the salesperson you worked with is honest and remembers the issue, maybe if you can get a letter from him that would free you up to visit any dealer for repair?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello all,

First, I appreciate the intelligent comments offered. In particular, the indications that it is not totally unreasonable for the second dealership to not want to do this work. Thanks for keeping me from going ballistic on this.

Progress-wise, my salesguy remembers the event the same way we do and has been pleasant but couple days later no solution offered. He indicated he would talk to his guys so perhaps that is still in progress.

More positively, Ford Customer Service picked up on the story in another Escape forum, contacted me, and started a case. They just called and after some review indicated they thought that the local dealership could be persuaded to do the work and will call the various parties and get back to me. This is impressive, assuming it happens. Hats off to Ford.

That said, the local dealership could have earned a customer for life by explaining the problem carefully, then solving it with a few phone calls. Maybe I expect too much.

Again, thanks for useful contributions from all.

RA

·
Registered
436 Posts
What other forum is Ford following? Just curious??

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello all,
[snip]
That said, the local dealership could have earned a customer for life by explaining the problem carefully, then solving it with a few phone calls. Maybe I expect too much.
RA
1) Completely agree, and 2) you don't. That's what good service is, going beyond the minimum. It amazes me how few companies - not just car dealers - get this. So actually, maybe you do expect too much. ;) Me too.

I'm glad it's getting taken care of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts