2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHY does my FordPass app regularly prevent me from starting my car remotely because it's allegedly in deep sleep mode? I never put it in such deep mode. This supremely irritates me. I try to start my car remotely during the cold, but I regularly can't the app says my 2020 Ford Escape SE Sport is in "deep sleep" mode. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Does it start ok from inside the car?
Have you checked the battery to see if it is holding charge?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Do you leave anything plugged in, like a phone charger? I had this exact problem and found it was my charger drawing from the battery when the vehicle was off. That triggered deep sleep in the vehicle/app.

After "re-charging" the battery on a long trip, I always unplug the charger before exiting the vehicle and no longer have the issue.

It is very annoying to do that in 2022 but it has worked for me.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,750 Posts
We get this on our's as soon as the temps drop, personally based on my experience with my Fusion Hybrid its a weak cell in the 12v battery.
I haven't been able to get the dealer to replace the battery, so as soon as it's out of warranty I'll be dropping in a new battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We get this on our's as soon as the temps drop, personally based on my experience with my Fusion Hybrid its a weak cell in the 12v battery.
I haven't been able to get the dealer to replace the battery, so as soon as it's out of warranty I'll be dropping in a new battery.
Exactly. It only happens when it's cold out. Should I get a battery test?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Simply “dropping in” a battery of the same type/size may not solve your problem. Some folks have tried that and are on their second or even third battery and the problem still occurs. I lived with this problem for 2.5+ years. Never had a failure to start but had the same error message you’re seeing. There’re a couple of threads already discussing this topic with numerous posts. Get the larger AGM battery. It solved my problem completely. Read all about it in these two threads.

Reactions: Dee60

·
Registered
126 Posts
WHY does my FordPass app regularly prevent me from starting my car remotely because it's allegedly in deep sleep mode? I never put it in such deep mode. This supremely irritates me. I try to start my car remotely during the cold, but I regularly can't the app says my 2020 Ford Escape SE Sport is in "deep sleep" mode. Any ideas?
Ditto with my 2020 SE Sport Hybrid. It even happened a few times during the summer!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simply “dropping in” a battery of the same type/size may not solve your problem. Some folks have tried that and are on their second or even third battery and the problem still occurs. I lived with this problem for 2.5+ years. Never had a failure to start but had the same error message you’re seeing. There’re a couple of threads already discussing this topic with numerous posts. Get the larger AGM battery. It solved my problem completely. Read all about it in these two threads.
Very helpful. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 2020 Escape did that. My dealership found a TSB where the anti-lock brake module was drawing power even when the car was off. They reprogrammed it and it has been fine since. It may not be the same module for your car but something similar.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
17 Posts
When people put new batteries in that are deviated specifications other than what the original battery was, you have to change the values close to what it is in FORScan. That way the bms won’t be relaying incorrect values and triggering incorrect values to other modules and hence getting messages. Not saying your batteries aren’t bad but yes there was a bad batch from the factory for a period of time and run. That would be good ol excide/deka for ya. I keep a wifi charger for my hybrid and charge it some maybe once every two weeks just to be sure but please make sure your new battery values are changed in FORScan. The bcm work with the bms to charge the battery accurately.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
17 Posts
My 2020 Escape did that. My dealership found a TSB where the anti-lock brake module was drawing power even when the car was off. They reprogrammed it and it has been fine since. It may not be the same module for your car but something similar.
Yes the brake controller module got a update to resolve that. I experienced that also and the cluster display would stay on.

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
292 Posts
I recently read in another thread that if everything, no interior lights, no courtesy lights, no radio, etc., shuts off as soon as you shut off the "power", then you likely need, at least a battery check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unforunately when you replace a battery you have to tell the computer system that you did so. thats ok if you kmow how to do the Forscan. My 2017 Kept draining the battery intermittently and after having the Stealership service it for the 3rd Time it turned out that my stereo amp was the cause for the drain.they flashed it and has been good since. I had to have the battery replaced again because the one i replaced on my own got damaged from draining and jump starting so many times.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
16 Posts
Cavalierrs, Does your service order show the TSB number? That would be helpful so I can direct my service dealer to it. TIA!

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE FWD 1.5T w/Adaptive Cruise
4 Posts
One of our two Escapes did this consistently. It was a 2020 that had sat on the lot for 9 months before we bought it in early 2021 (remember the days when dealerships had inventory? Crazy).

Anyway, that car has always been a bit problematic. At every service they tested the battery health and the best it every had was 57%.

A few weeks back we came out and the car was totally electrically dead. The battery had 4v. I jumped it and drove it to the dealer (with no power steering, thankfully I'm old enough to have owned and driven cars without power steering or power brakes, gasp!).

Dealer warrantied the battery. The "sleep mode" problem is now gone. I suspect the car sat with a dead battery a long while before we bough it and the battery was just junk out of the box.

I'd suggest having the dealer test the battery health and watching its status. If you live in snow country or it bothers you, you might pay to proactively replace it.

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
292 Posts
Three to four years under normal conditions. That's it for OEM batteries. I don't know if aftermarket is any better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts