2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[I updated this Intro with more accurate pricing info after receiving a comment from another forum member]

Intro story:
I bought a 2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid in December 2019.

In the forum area “What don’t you like about the 2020 Escape” , I posted about the gaps in the rear cargo area that allow objects (In my case, a wedge of cheese that fell out of a grocery bag) to fall into the lower compartment that holds the 12v battery and can allegedly hold a spare tire. You see, the SE , apparently, does not come with a spare Tire.
That posting led to another forum member posting a picture of his hybrid with its spare tire that came with the car.

So, I went out today to Town Faire Tire and bought a tire and rim. Cost just over $200 for a rim that closely matches the ones that come with the SE, and an inexpensive tire that I hope will never be used.

The tire guy was both impressed and surprised by the battery location. He told me his first concern was that whatever I bought would fit in the lower compartment.

BTW, three of the staff gushed at my “Deep Persian Green” SE Sport. They think the new Escape looks awesome and loved the color.

My question to other Escape owners: If your Escape did not come with a spare, are you relying on the tire inflation kit or have you purchased a spare tire? If so, approx how much did you spend? I think this info might be useful to other Escape owners and prospective buyers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you spend nearly $300 for a closely match rim, why not just go to the dealer to get the exact match.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you spend nearly $300 for a closely match rim, why not just go to the dealer to get the exact match.
Two dealers said they had no part-numbers for a spare and rim for my model. One dealer quoted me a VERY expensive price for the matching run.

I can only act on the info and prices I’m given.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Honestly, I can't remember the last time I had a flat "puncture :)". I have an air compressor in my garage for "slow" leaks so I can get to a repair shop if need be. I drove my 1997 GMC for 20 years and I never carried a spare. My thinking is, if you keep good rubber on your tires you may never need a spare. For those of you that want that extra reassurance, join AAA or CAA. Just my 2 pennies. (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for kind reply. I overall agree with you. My last flat tire was in 2013. A woman slid down a hill out onto the Main Street and hit precisely on my right rear tire instantly flattening it. Miraculously, there was no body damage.

On the other hand, one of our newer family members has had multiple flat tires. She seems attracted to granite curbs! (Sad laugh; has cost me quite a few dollars)

·
Super Moderator
617 Posts
Where I live we average one or two flat tires a year between 5 vehicles. A spare tire is a must in my neck of the woods. My Escape came with one of those miniatures spares. We have 3 Ecosports that didn't have spares so be bought a plain steel rim and tire for each of the Ecosports to have as spares. They're full size and we're able to just close the back door with the tire laying flat. The downside is the tire takes up most of the space in the back of the Ecosports. If I purchased a new Escape and it didn't come with a spare I'd buy a plain steel rim and tire to have as a spare. If I couldn't fit a spare tire down below I don't think I'd buy the vehicle so long as I'm living where I'm living.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can’t recall whether I posted a photo of the full-size spare within the battery/spare compartment. So, here’s a photo. Others have indicated they have a full size spare and their photos seem to show the cover closed flush/completely. My cover is “up” a bit; and I'm not sure what's different for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The factory spare is a T155/70D17. It's standard on all but the SE Sport, and all the PHEV, it turns out.

The wheel well is about 28", the standard tire is about 29" tall. The picture looks like those measurements are correct, and you don't have to worry about the wheel interfering with the battery.

Our last generation of cars had the fix-a-flat kit. Both got flats beyond the kit's capability. One had snow tires to fall back on, the other was a mad scramble to get an extra wheel and tire. I like my little spare much better than fix-a-flat.

Have fun,
Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts