2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
ASAIK, only Forscan and maybe Foccus. I have Forscan and purchased the ELM reader. I decided that I did not want to chance messing up the car’s computers so I defaulted you the dealer. There prices are competitive and at my age I am not up doing all that work to get the battery in and out.
Thanks...yeah, there is no way I would attempt replacing the battery myself due to the cowl or airbox hassle and will be taking it to the dealer when the time comes. Forscan is handy to have though.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,732 Posts
Do you know if you can plug the OBD tool into an Android mobile phone or tablet with the Forscan app loaded?
A bluetooth OBD2 interface works with an Android phone and the free app version of Forscan. You'll possibly need to pay for the full Android version of ForScan to do the battery reset. I've used my OBDLink MX bluetooth with my phone and ForScan, but haven't looked into what the free app can do vs the Windows version.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
8 Posts
A bluetooth OBD2 interface works with an Android phone and the free app version of Forscan. You'll possibly need to pay for the full Android version of ForScan to do the battery reset. I've used my OBDLink MX bluetooth with my phone and ForScan, but haven't looked into what the free app can do vs the Windows version.
i can confirm that you need the full version of forscan to be able to reset anything.

with regards to the battery icon flashing 3 times, i do not see any other reason for it to flash, apart from the reset of the BMS using the methods outlined above. My WZ fiesta ST (german made) and my LZ focus titanium (thai made) confirmed with the 5 rear fog light presses and 3 hazard light presses, it flashes 3 times within 5 seconds of the 3rd press of the hazard light.

When i did replace the fiesta ST battery, i did not know that I needed to reset the BMS and just drove it like that for 2 years before resetting BMS. I did not notice anything different about the car or effects on fuel economy etc.

I'm just so stumped on WHY they did not make the procedure uniform across all fords in the world.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,201 Posts
i can confirm that you need the full version of forscan to be able to reset anything.

with regards to the battery icon flashing 3 times, i do not see any other reason for it to flash, apart from the reset of the BMS using the methods outlined above. My WZ fiesta ST (german made) and my LZ focus titanium (thai made) confirmed with the 5 rear fog light presses and 3 hazard light presses, it flashes 3 times within 5 seconds of the 3rd press of the hazard light.

When i did replace the fiesta ST battery, i did not know that I needed to reset the BMS and just drove it like that for 2 years before resetting BMS. I did not notice anything different about the car or effects on fuel economy etc.

I'm just so stumped on WHY they did not make the procedure uniform across all fords in the world.
For the windows version of Forscan, you can reset the BMS with the free version. You don’t need the extended license for this. I just did this a few days ago

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts

Yes that is an interesting question. add that to why did Ford not do a better job telling the owner it needed to be done?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

When you reset the BMS with Forscan it actually indicates that the reset has been completed. The only reason I said the battery indicator flashing 3 times could mean anything is that I would have thought there would be a message on the dash to tell you that the BMS has actually been reset after using the video examples here.

If this works for some and actually does the job then that's great... :)

Reactions: Vader101

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
When you reset the BMS with Forscan it actually indicates that the reset has been completed. The only reason I said the battery indicator flashing 3 times could mean anything is that I would have thought there would be a message on the dash to tell you that the BMS has actually been reset after using the video examples here.

If this works for some and actually does the job then that's great... :)
You can also confirm the reset by doing a scan on battery days in service. A reset will change the value to 0.

Reactions: Tanat and murcod

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you everyone for your advice.

I’ve been able to fix the problem. I took the following measures:

(1) I connected the pigtails in the picture above (white cable up and brown cable down) to the connector hookup on the negative terminal but the battery drain problem persisted.
(2) I took the battery to a technician for test. I was told the cells were bad and needed a new battery.
(3) I got a new battery and installed the pigtails wrongly as stated above since I had not figured out the correct connection. My vehicle came back alive but was having a wiper malfunction.
(4) I researched further on the forum and got a perfect advice from @chucksbp - trust me, he is an expert! I reversed the pigtails and my wipers started functioning well again.

Now, my vehicle is in a perfect working condition.

I can’t thank members of this forum enough for not only saving people from unnecessary spendings and visits to the dealers and technicians but the disappointment of not enjoying our precious cars.

This forum is a must for every Ford owner👍
I'm having the same issue with my Ford Escape. I just had the BMS resetted today at the dealer 87 dollars because after reviewing the forum; I was supposed to have done that after disconnecting the battery. There was a lot of corrosion on the terminals....my wipers are going on and off by themselves without me turning them on. It's really embarrassing to be driving down the road and like the wipers are turning on when it's not raining, LOL...I'll be removing my wipers tomorrow and taking the cowls off to inspect the pigtails...I just don't know how easy it is to do the replacement of the pigtails...I don't have a heat gun to shrink the wrap....I'd like the replace the negative Cable too...one of the guys that I work with said that there's something that I can plug into my cigarette lighter to keep the power going so that even if I remove the battery, the vehicle will still think that the battery hasn't been removed. Not sure what this device is, but I'd like to save me some money to not do a BMS reset. Has anyone tried to reset the battery with the Forscan tool?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,201 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my Ford Escape. I just had the BMS resetted today at the dealer 87 dollars because after reviewing the forum; I was supposed to have done that after disconnecting the battery. There was a lot of corrosion on the terminals....my wipers are going on and off by themselves without me turning them on. It's really embarrassing to be driving down the road and like the wipers are turning on when it's not raining, LOL...I'll be removing my wipers tomorrow and taking the cowls off to inspect the pigtails...I just don't know how easy it is to do the replacement of the pigtails...I don't have a heat gun to shrink the wrap....I'd like the replace the negative Cable too...one of the guys that I work with said that there's something that I can plug into my cigarette lighter to keep the power going so that even if I remove the battery, the vehicle will still think that the battery hasn't been removed. Not sure what this device is, but I'd like to save me some money to not do a BMS reset. Has anyone tried to reset the battery with the Forscan tool?
I moved your post to this thread. Have a look at some of the other posts for help with the BMS reset. If you are just disconnecting the battery, you don’t need to reset your BMS. You only reset this if you get a new battery. Your other questions on this has been asked/answered many times on this forum. A quick search should be able to find the answers you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just wanted to post my experience: I used my OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter (not the MX+) with my Android phone and Forscan Lite. I tried the free Forscan Demo, and I could see the service function there, but it was locked in the demo version. The full version (technically Forscan Lite) worked great.
I checked the battery age in days before and after the reset. Before: 2082, after: 0. Perfect.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,732 Posts
FYI the ForScan Android app is more limited in what you can do for free. Last time I checked the PC version does the battery reset without even the extended licence being activated.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
52 Posts
The owner's manual says this:
"After battery replacement, or in some
cases after charging the battery with an
external charger, the battery management
system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep
time to relearn the battery state of charge.
During this time your vehicle must remain
fully locked with the ignition switched off.
Note: Prior to relearning the battery state
of charge, the battery management system
may temporarily disable some electrical
systems."
The implication is that a reset is not necessary, IF the car is kept in the condition listed above for the minimum of 8 hours.
My '15 FE owner's manual does NOT have this procedure listed. Mine just has the usual advice about having your Ford dealer replace the battery. It does say that if anyone disconnects the battery, that certain settings will get erased, such as: the clock and radio pre sets, also gives some instructions on re-learning the fuel trims. So, I must have gotten a different owner's from the one you have!

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
My '15 FE owner's manual does NOT have this procedure listed. Mine just has the usual advice about having your Ford dealer replace the battery. It does say that if anyone disconnects the battery, that certain settings will get erased, such as: the clock and radio pre sets, also gives some instructions on re-learning the fuel trims. So, I must have gotten a different owner's from the one you have!
The whole concept of the BMS and computer controlled charging has been seriously neglected by Ford. The wording in your manual has led many to falsely assume that the BMS reset is automatic. IT IS NOT. The WSM is clear on that and the many posts here also confirm. THIS IS NOT FORD’S FINEST HOUR wrt one of the most common owner maintenance tasks.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts