2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,715 Posts
Will I be able to reset the BMS with "FORSCAN LITE" app on android phone and bluetooth. and the ELM327 bluetooth? I have read so many posts with conflicting answers I am totally burned out. I do not have a laptop. Or what other android app will Simply Reset the BMS? Thank's
I merged your new thread to the existing thread you had replied in already. No use starting a new thread.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,346 Posts
Will I be able to reset the BMS with "FORSCAN LITE" app on android phone and bluetooth. and the ELM327 bluetooth?
There's a way to do it with a sequence of button pushes - not using ForScan. A few people on different forums have said it has worked for them. Searching through some older threads should find it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There's a way to do it with a sequence of button pushes - not using ForScan. A few people on different forums have said it has worked for them. Searching through some older threads should find it.
Has pushing buttons, flashing the headlights 3x, chanting an incantation in Latin, LOL, ever been proven it works to reset the BMS?
Last time I changed my battery I used this and ForScan on my laptop to reset the BMS. US $16.17 10% OFF|bbfly BF32302 ELM327 USB modified FTDI chip OBD2 Forscan ELMconfig HS CAN / MS CAN OBD|elm327 usb|chip obd2obd2 chip - AliExpress
Also available from Amazon for a few bucks more: https://www.amazon.com/bbfly-BF3230...Mconfig-Forscan/dp/B01N9R9QS2?ref_=ast_sto_dp

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Has pushing buttons, flashing the headlights 3x, chanting an incantation in Latin, LOL, ever been proven it works to reset the BMS?
Last time I changed my battery I used this and ForScan on my laptop to reset the BMS. US $16.17 10% OFF|bbfly BF32302 ELM327 USB modified FTDI chip OBD2 Forscan ELMconfig HS CAN / MS CAN OBD|elm327 usb|chip obd2obd2 chip - AliExpress
Also available from Amazon for a few bucks more: https://www.amazon.com/bbfly-BF3230...Mconfig-Forscan/dp/B01N9R9QS2?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Not from anything I have read.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
All these various methods of manually resetting the BMS are supposed to cause the battery light on the dash to flash 3 times thus resetting it.
However the battery light may flash 3 times to warn us not to stuff around with all the buttons etc. for all we know.
As I mentioned before the only way to test if these methods actually work is to check with Forscan after trying one of these 'methods' to see if the battery days in service have actually been reset back to zero.

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Super Moderator
3,346 Posts
Yes, I've read in the past people have got the battery light to flash 3 times and that indicates it has worked. I recall someone verified via checking "Days in Service" on ForScan.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not from anything I have read.
I merged your new thread to the existing thread you had replied in already. No use starting a new thread.
I contacted
Yes, I've read in the past people have got the battery light to flash 3 times and that indicates it has worked. I recall someone verified via checking "Days in Service" on ForScan.
Yes, I flashed high beams 5 times, hit brakes 3 and battery light flashed 3 times. My car is a 2014 escape 2.0. I purchased an ELM 327 and downloaded forscan light and hooked it up today, and after a couple hours fiddeling around with it, I found a button to push that was to reset the BMS and it come back with a line that said the BMS had been reset, but with the forscan lite I couldn't find where it said it was back to 0. I've screwed with this thing off and on for 3 day's, at this point, I give up if it didn't work. MM

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I contacted

Yes, I flashed high beams 5 times, hit brakes 3 and battery light flashed 3 times. My car is a 2014 escape 2.0. I purchased an ELM 327 and downloaded forscan light and hooked it up today, and after a couple hours fiddeling around with it, I found a button to push that was to reset the BMS and it come back with a line that said the BMS had been reset, but with the forscan lite I couldn't find where it said it was back to 0. I've screwed with this thing off and on for 3 day's, at this point, I give up if it didn't work. MM
Sounds like it reset ok... ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts

I drove my car for the short trip this afternoon, everything looks good.

I have one question here, some people mentioned there was a battery life number or something. Once I got the BMS reset, this number should be back to 0. Where can I find this number in Forscan? Thanks.....
The "Days in Service" value for the battery is kept on the BCM. Using FORscan, bring up the Live Data function and select the BCM as the source. Select the parameters to view using the listed menu (Days in Service should be one of them). Select the arrow to view the real-time data and verify the number.

Reactions: bigbirchlake

·
Registered
78 Posts
For all of you who have used FORscan for a BMS reset,........

Have you verified the "Days in Service" value is correct after 1 week of normal use and downtime?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apology in advance if this has been addressed before, but I'd not noticed any posts telling us how we could reset the Battery Monitor System when we do a DIY battery replacement (lacking a dealer diagnostics tool).

Playing with my old rev 2.1.21 beta version of FORScan this morning I tripped on the "settings" tab only to find an option to reset the Battery Monitor System (!) You've got to be connected to your FE to see this.

Nowhere near needing a battery replacement I didn't 'run' the option, but everything else I've used FORScan for works fine so no reason to doubt this feature and I was glad to find it.

Get FORScan for windows to run on your laptop here (free) Download FORScan

You'll of course need an OBDII > USB interface cable (might also work with a Bluetooth interface, I've not tried that). Search ELM 327 USB for plenty of cheap sources for the interface (NOTE - ignore/don't use the included and totally unnecessary 'driver' mini disk that ships with the ELM .... most all versions I've read about, including the one that came with mine, have a malware / virus on the disk. No driver is needed for the interface to work with Windows, at least Windows 7, it's a standard USB device with built-in firmware support).

Anyway, just FYI for those that would like to DIY replace the battery and skip the dealer completely.

If anyone has another inexpensive tool that offers reset of the BMS, please share. Not being a "DTC" per-se, my 'generic' OBDII scan / DTC reset tool doesn't provide that functionality.

;)

The Autophix 7710 WILL reset Ford BCM/BMS if you update the device software. I own a 2016 Ford Escape. Autophix 7710, costs about $75. I rate it FIVE Stars now.

In order to update the Autophix 7710 software on your 7710, connecting to your computer via USB, do this:

When you download the update from 2020 available on the website, you need an app that opens and reads the "RAR" file. If you do NOT have a program on your computer that can read an RAR file (when the 7710 is connected via USB), you will get a white screen on the 7710 with two orange vertical lines, looking like a "pause" symbol: ". I went online an got a free RAR file opener app.

After updating with the 2020 update on your computer, you can now read the 7710 even when it is connected to your computer via USB. Then when you hook up the 7710 to your Ford, the 7710 identifies your vehicle when you go to Ford Scan, Identify Vehicle, etc.. In my case, it asked if I had a Kuga or an Escape. I was able to reset the BMS and four different Ford Diagnostic codes related to the battery (when the old one was weak). Once you rest the BMS, you do need to run the Ford Scan again, and then reset each fault code (I had 4 codes, you may have three); the codes were related to a weak battery charge (triggered by the old battery). After resetting all, I ran the scan again (after waiting 10 seconds). All fault codes that were in red print now were good (black print). Everything worked fine.

Posted one day prior, I had given this item a TWO Star rating:
"Autophix 7710 does NOT reset the BMS on a 2016 Ford Escape. That was my sole purpose for buying this. So, next was trying to update the "lifetime" free software update. Another ZERO... does NOT work". SEE UPDATE ABOVE***

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my 2014, I was able to reset by flashing high beams 5 times, hit brakes 3 and battery light flashed 3 times.
I also purchased an ELM 327 and downloaded forscan for my smart phone and found a place in there to reset battery so I can do reset when it is due on my 2017.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 2014, I was able to reset by flashing high beams 5 times, hit brakes 3 and battery light flashed 3 times.
I also purchased an ELM 327 and downloaded forscan for my smart phone and found a place in there to reset battery so I can do reset when it is due on my 2017.
Yup, I tried your method, and several others too, I found on other posts. Some people are lucky and they work. Me, not so much! None worked for me. What I like about the Autophix unit is it worked, and I could visually verify the reset of the BMS and four fault codes. I wish the other methods worked, but all in all I can't complain to get an analysis system that works for under $75.

·
Super Moderator
3,346 Posts
I wish the other methods worked, but all in all I can't complain to get an analysis system that works for under $75.
It's cheaper to use ForScan. The program is free and you just need a suitable OBD2 adapter to use it (less than $20.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I had an OBD2 but it didn't have the ability to reset the BMS, so I bought one that did. Frankly, I didn't do research about ForScan because I wanted to upgrade my OBD2 (my old one was at least 12-15 years old, so I figured what the heck). In retrospect, I guess I could've saved $75 if I had taken the time to look into ForScan. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay. My 2017 ZG escape battery finally carked it (was getting 500CCA from a battery test - 700CCA is what it's meant to be rated at).

After changing the battery, I spent $10 to buy the Forscan lite app off google play and gave it a go with my ELM327 Bluetooth dongle.

After using the "reset BMS module" function, I can confirm that the service days is reset to "0 days" after adding that parameter in the Forscan app.
I can also confirm that the battery light DOES NOT blink during the reset procedure vis Forscan.

So as far as I know, if the battery light did not blink during the reset procedure, it means that one of the non Forscan procedures mentioned before may have worked but I didn't check with Forscan to see which method was successful.

I will leave the car for a few days and try again with the above mentioned non Forscan methods to determine which one is the one which works for my Escape.

Furthermore, my Thai made focus titanium and German made Fiesta ST BMS can both reset by using the "5 rear fog light presses and 3 hazard light presses". Both of these cars the battery light blinks 3 times.

Edit: Okay. CONFIRMED the following non-forscan procedure worked on the AUDM ZG Escape:

1. Press ignition button on (without starting the engine)
2. Ensure headlights are ON.
3. Press rear fog light X5 (ending with the rear fog lights ON)
3. Press hazard lights X3 (ending with hazard lights operating.
4. Turn ignition off.

Confirmed the battery light on the instrument cluster DID NOT flash 3 times to confirm reset.

I checked Forscan before and after the procedure and the days in service counter reset from 2 days to 0.

Don't know why Ford made it this way, but at least this is confirmed. Hopefully can save some of you blokes $75 for a BMS reset at ford. :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think so....this message appears on my ForScan tool even after replacing the battery cable (and sensor). I suggest ignoring it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For all of you who have used FORscan for a BMS reset,........

Have you verified "Days in Service" value is correct after 1 week of normal use and downtime?
Since no one has replied to this question, I am posting my findings here....

After changing out my battery on 10/11/2019 and replacing the Neg battery cable on 12/4/2019, I reset the BMS with FORscan (version 2.3.33 beta) shortly after. I dumped various battery values a week later as shown, noting the "Days in Service". A couple of months passes and I did the same thing and noticed no change! So I did another BMS reset on 5/7/21, verifying with the FORscan Log. The other day,
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software
Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot using FORscan (version 2.3.41 beta), I dumped various battery values as shown. The bottom line is, I have no idea if the BMS is fully operational (ie. is the PCM and BdyCM doing their jobs). Someone please advise:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Can’t say I ever checked the days in service after completing the reset using FORScan. But I can say that I never had a problem with my 2013 after replacing the battery in 2017 and using this procedure.

·
Super Moderator
3,346 Posts
Since no one has replied to this question, I am posting my findings here....

After changing out my battery on 10/11/2019 and replacing the Neg battery cable on 12/4/2019, I reset the BMS with FORscan (version 2.3.33 beta) shortly after. I dumped various battery values a week later as shown, noting the "Days in Service". A couple of months passes and I did the same thing and noticed no change! So I did another BMS reset on 5/7/21, verifying with the FORscan Log. The other day, View attachment 79931 View attachment 79932 View attachment 79931 View attachment 79932 using FORscan (version 2.3.41 beta), I dumped various battery values as shown. The bottom line is, I have no idea if the BMS is fully operational (ie. is the PCM and BdyCM doing their jobs). Someone please advise:confused:
Something else to note is on your last screen print there is also no battery current being drawn and the SOC is at 0%. Perhaps try doing it again?

221 - 240 of 271 Posts