2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Something else to note is on your last screen print there is also no battery current being drawn and the SOC is at 0%. Perhaps try doing it again?
Yes I did notice those unusual values. It looks like no data is coming from the battery sensor (which is near new). I did verify the real-time data is changing by turning on the A/C and watching the Battery Charging Voltage Desired go up to 14.2 V. Also, the TPM values are diff since the car was just driven (91 deg F outside). Here is the result for today....thoughts? Should I have an independent scan tool verify?

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

Reactions: Pilot4prophet

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,346 Posts
Yes I did notice those unusual values. It looks like no data is coming from the battery sensor (which is near new).
Was the loom to the BMS sensor replaced with a new pigtail? Some people have had issues with working out which way to wire the BMS (reversing the wiring) but I'd still think you'd be getting some sort of reading? Perhaps check for blown fuses in the engine bay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Was the loom to the BMS sensor replaced with a new pigtail? Some people have had issues with working out which way to wire the BMS (reversing the wiring) but I'd still think you'd be getting some sort of reading? Perhaps check for blown fuses in the engine bay.
The replacement was done by my Ford dealer with the following parts (Neg battery cable and Pigtail kit):
WPT-1396
AV6Z-10C679-P
The work was certified good (wiring done correctly)! Dated 12/4/2019

Should I challenge the dealer with my findings?

·
Super Moderator
3,346 Posts
The replacement was done by my Ford dealer with the following parts (Neg battery cable and Pigtail kit):
WPT-1396
AV6Z-10C679-P
The work was certified good (wiring done correctly)! Dated 12/4/2019

Should I challenge the dealer with my findings?
Perhaps question them regarding the apparent charging current issues. They'll quite likely want to hook up their own gear to check- hopefully without charging you a fortune to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To save yourself around 150 bucks for a 1 minute job, do this as it worked on my 2013 Escape SEL 2 litre. First make sure all windows doors/hatchs are closed Then turn ignition switch to on (Dont start car) Wait 10 seconds, Then flash your highbeams 5-7 times, Then press your brake pedal 3 times, Wait for battery light to flash. Thats it, I found this after much research and dealerships will never tell you this method as it takes money out of their greedy hands, they charge around 150 bucks to do this 1 minute procedure. It might be a good idea to do this after you park your car for the night to let the BCM learn the new battery's charge state and recalibrate accordingly. Not sure about this last part but cant hurt right !
2015, 2.0, AWD, US...didn't work on mine. Did it multiple times, didn't work.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
2015, 2.0, AWD, US...didn't work on mine. Did it multiple times, didn't work.
You could try the other manual method.
Press rear fog light button 5 times, then press the hazard light button 3 times and wait for the battery light to flash 3 times.
May not work either but worth a shot.

These methods seem to work for some models but not others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To save yourself around 150 bucks for a 1 minute job, do this as it worked on my 2013 Escape SEL 2 litre. First make sure all windows doors/hatchs are closed Then turn ignition switch to on (Dont start car) Wait 10 seconds, Then flash your highbeams 5-7 times, Then press your brake pedal 3 times, Wait for battery light to flash. Thats it, I found this after much research and dealerships will never tell you this method as it takes money out of their greedy hands, they charge around 150 bucks to do this 1 minute procedure. It might be a good idea to do this after you park your car for the night to let the BCM learn the new battery's charge state and recalibrate accordingly. Not sure about this last part but cant hurt right !
14, 2.0, AWD, US This method worked for me, you have to wait a few seconds before the battery light will flash (I was too impatient the first few times I tried) I do not have Forscan to verify if it worked but I will do that next week.

I took mine to the dealer this morning because they had a deal for the MAX 36month battery installed for only $170 including tax. bastards didnt reset my BMS (I watched them do the install) AND didn't put the battery bracket back on, I had to go back and ask them to put it back, then I get home and they only put ONE nut on the battery bracket. literally no one ever wants to do their job properly, you have to do it yourself.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,318 Posts
Hence the reason I work on my own as much as possible.....

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
literally no one ever wants to do their job properly, you have to do it yourself.
Yep. The work ethic with some people is pretty darn low. I try to do things myself. But it’s not all bad. There are still folks out there that do a good job. Just seems like I never run into them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is so much conflicting information in this thread. What is correct? We just replaced our battery in our 2016 ecoboost. The flash 5 times and brake 3 times method did not work. Going to FORSCAN in the morning.:confused:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
There is so much conflicting information in this thread. What is correct? We just replaced our battery in our 2016 ecoboost. The flash 5 times and brake 3 times method did not work. Going to FORSCAN in the morning.:confused:
You could try this other method:-
If that does not work Forscan is the go as you indicated.

Please let us know how you go.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
You could try this other method:-
If that does not work Forscan is the go as you indicated.

Please let us know how you go.
No rear fog light switch on US models

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,715 Posts
I would just stick with the Forscan method. It’s a free method to reset it, and it will for sure work. I guess free if you already have an OBDII dongle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I updated my FORSCAN version to the current release. Took my laptop down to the car and plugged it in with my USB OBDLinkEX. Figured out how to get everyone talking. Poked around the buttons till I found the tab in service procedures that referenced the BMS. Then poked around till I figured out to press the play button at the bottom to execute the operation. After a few seconds got the BMS has been reset message. Then I tried to find a way to verify the reset as shown in the image in Sundog's post. No luck, any pointers? I wanted to check before running the FORSCAN reset, to see if any of the other methods had worked, but I don't know how to get there.

·
Super Moderator
3,346 Posts
Then I tried to find a way to verify the reset as shown in the image in Sundog's post. No luck, any pointers?
It's been a while since I've used it, but once your're connected you need to click on the Oscilloscope screen button (third button down on the left.) Then click on "Table" up the top. To set up what data you want to view click on the setting "cog" on the bottom row (third in from the left.) Then I think it brings up the modules - you need to select "BCM" (I think it may be written as BCMII?) Then you can select what data you want to read - it appears to be BATTERY_AGE . That should then brings up the data "Vehicle Battery - Days in Service". Oh yeah, don't forget to press the "play button" icon on the bottom row to get it reading the data.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can officially confirm that this did work on my 14 - 2.0 Titanium - US model. I connected with Forscan today and my battery in service time was at 6 days (which is how many days ago I did this procedure)

And for those having trouble after flashing high beams 5 times, pressing brake pedal 3 times... you have to wait like 5 seconds before the battery light flashes, It is not immediate.

241 - 260 of 271 Posts