2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I tried but can't post video here, so this is how to reset the BMS without using computer, this procedure had been done at the Ford's Taiwan dealership and confirmed by their computer in fact the BMS had been reset, the entire process need to be completed within 30 second.

* Turn on the car without starting the motor.
* Push the rear fog lamp button 10 times, On > Off > On > Off > On > Off > On > Off > On > Off.
* Push the hazard flasher button 10 times.
* Turn off and turn back on without starting the motor.
* Note the battery icon light on the speedometer, it stays on and flashes 3 times if BMS had been reset, if not, re-try.

This works for Kuga and Focus from 2013 on up.
For those without the rear fog lamp button, you can try pushing some other button to see if it will works.
There is another way that the Ford tech told me, it involve turning on the head light and push some buttons in a specific sequence also, I will ask him the next time I go there.
It's the law that all car/truck for sell in Taiwan must have rear fog lamp(s) installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried but can't post video here, so this is how to reset the BMS without using computer, this procedure had been done at the Ford's Taiwan dealership and confirmed by their computer in fact the BMS had been reset, the entire process need to be completed within 30 second.

* Turn on the car without starting the motor.
* Push the rear fog lamp button 10 times, On > Off > On > Off > On > Off > On > Off > On > Off.
* Push the hazard flasher button 10 times.
* Turn off and turn back on without starting the motor.
* Note the battery icon light on the speedometer, it stays on and flashes 3 times if BMS had been reset, if not, re-try.

For those without the rear fog lamp button, you can try pushing some other button to see if it will works.
There is another way that the Ford tech told me, it involve turning on the head light and push some buttons in a specific sequence also, I will ask him the next time I go there.
It's the law that all car/truck for sell in Taiwan must have rear fog lamp(s) installed.
turbo,

If you could get the details from your Ford tech friend it would be helpful for us US Escape owners as we do not have rear fog lamps in our vehicles. My wife's 2015 Titanium has only fronts and I think I will be replacing battery soon. TIA Demoasn ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like that the Taiwan Kuga has actual degrees on the temp gauge! Wish ours did here.
ALRUI Hahaha, that coolant temp needle is glued to that 80ish Celsius location at the factory, even my SCT tuner read 100 degree and that stock needle is still at 80ish.

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK, I found this video showing what I described in my previous post, but is in Chinese.

·
Registered
210 Posts
demosan I will ask the Ford tech next time I go there, in the meantime, there is a new member here name Kacper, he said he been with Ford for 10 years and can help with software, perhaps he knows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
demosan I will ask the Ford tech next time I go there, in the meantime, there is a new member here name Kacper, he said he been with Ford for 10 years and can help with software, perhaps he knows.
turboholic, thanks for the info and Ford contact. I will try and reach him with a request for battery management reset. Demosan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reset BMS with Forscan

I replaced battery on my 2014 Escape SE today.
"replacement battery air-box method" thread post 41.

Thanks for the posts here, I know that I need to reset the BMS.

I followed Bobp's post (#114), got a bbfly-BF32302 from Amazon with about $26. AliExpress is much cheaper(about $18), but shipping is 6-8 weeks (from China).

The BF32302 came without driver disc. just a sheet of paper of how to install driver, connect to OBD port, connect to car, etc. Not very useful. ( There are instructions of configuring another production on the other side of this instruction sheet, weird).

Anyhow, I plugged the adapter to my Window 10 laptop, which was connected to Internet. Windows automatically found the device and installed a driver and reported "FT232R USB UART devices is ready to go". As far as I know, this is good enough, I don't need to install any other driver.

But to make sure everything works, I followed installation guide at ftdichip web site, downloaded file CDM21228_setup.exe, and run it as administrator, then followed the instructions.
After this installation, in Windows Device manager, I can see:
Ports(COM & LPT): USB Serrial Port (COM3):
Universal Serial Bus Controllers has USB Serial Converter.

Then I went to forscan website, downloaded and installed ForScan for windows free version 2.3.19 beta.
I did not apply Extended Licences.

Then I connected this BF32302 to my Escape. There is a box on the driver side marked as OBD II. Near the driver's left knee. Open the box and plug the adapter in.

Start FORScan on my laptop.

Insert car key and turn to On position, don't start the engine.

In Forscan, select Vehicle ( the First icon on top left), then click Connect icon at the bottom left. Connect FORScan to vehicle, follow the instructions in ForScan.

After FORSCan finds all modules, click the Service Functions (the wrench icon)

Click "BdyCM: Battery Monitoring System Reset"

Click Play button at the bottom left

Follow the on screen prompts

When finished Forscan reported that BMS was successfully reset.

Check/clear any DTCs

Disconnect FORScan from vehicle

I drove my car for the short trip this afternoon, everything looks good.

I have one question here, some people mentioned there was a battery life number or something. Once I got the BMS reset, this number should be back to 0. Where can I find this number in Forscan? Thanks.

Sorry I could not put links here, need to post more.

·
Registered
19 Posts

• Turn on the car without starting the motor.
  • Push the rear fog lamp button 10 times, On > Off > On > Off > On > Off > On > Off > On > Off.
  • Push the hazard flasher button 10 times.
  • Turn off and turn back on without starting the motor.
  • Note the battery icon light on the speedometer, it stays on and flashes 3 times if BMS had been reset, if not, re-try.

Did you ever earn the way to do this if you dont have fog lamps?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Any idea why Ford did not tell owners they needed to do a BMS reset with every new battery?
The owner's manual says this:
"After battery replacement, or in some
cases after charging the battery with an
external charger, the battery management
system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep
time to relearn the battery state of charge.
During this time your vehicle must remain
fully locked with the ignition switched off.
Note: Prior to relearning the battery state
of charge, the battery management system
may temporarily disable some electrical
systems."
The implication is that a reset is not necessary, IF the car is kept in the condition listed above for the minimum of 8 hours.

·
Registered
605 Posts
systems."
The implication is that a reset is not necessary, If the car is kept in the condition listed above for the minimum of 8 hours.
Yes, I saw this 8 hour sleep method rather than resetting the BMS on several different Ford forums.
I wonder if that applies if you get a Ford dealer or independent mechanic to replace the battery and then drive the car home without letting it 'sleep' for 8 hours.

If you then leave it locked in the garage overnight for 8 hours or more will it 'relearn' the battery state thus resetting the BMS?

The point I am getting at is does it necessarily need to be left locked for 8 hours immediately after the battery fitment or can it be driven to 'rest' later?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Sadly, this has all been discussed before either on this thread or previous threads dealing with the same question. Posts #152 and 154 included. As I recall, at best the owner's manual is confusing on this but the WSM IS NOT. The WSM clearly says that the reset is required on a new battery install. The procedure in the owner's manual cited, I believe, represents the time needed for the monitor to update charging, etc. For example when I use my Battery Tender to top off my battery since my driving mileage and conditions are very low. I have observed this behavior myself by checking the battery charge via gage on battery AND reading the reported SOC just after the charge finished from the car's computer using the OBDII port and a reader.

As I further recall, many of us speculated question 152 some time ago and further wondered why Ford woul not put a sticker on the battery cover with the requirement.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can purchase the bbfly-BF32302 ELM327, the one I used to reset the BMS, from AliExpress for $15.27 + $1.58 shipping - $2.00 first user coupon, Forscan is free, and there are instructions on this thread on how to do the reset. If I can do it anyone can, so why take the chance that the 8 hour sleep method is going to reset what.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32790698242.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7f80349akX8TrX&algo_pvid=72323c60-803d-43b4-b8ec-22b5f5d331c7&algo_expid=72323c60-803d-43b4-b8ec-22b5f5d331c7-0&btsid=b5ece564-290a-46ca-a6a4-82c5d0c69379&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_52
FTDI chip drivers if you need them: https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
https://forscan.org/download.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
systems."
The implication is that a reset is not necessary, IF the car is kept in the condition listed above for the minimum of 8 hours.
THanks. Many hve noted that that fix does not work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sadly, this has all been discussed before either on this thread or previous threads dealing with the same question. Posts #152 and 154 included. As I recall, at best the owner's manual is confusing on this but the WSM IS NOT. The WSM clearly says that the reset is required on a new battery install. The procedure in the owner's manual cited, I believe, represents the time needed for the monitor to update charging, etc. For example when I use my Battery Tender to top off my battery since my driving mileage and conditions are very low. I have observed this behavior myself by checking the battery charge via gage on battery AND reading the reported SOC just after the charge finished from the car's computer using the OBDII port and a reader.

As I further recall, many of us speculated question 152 some time ago and further wondered why Ford woul not put a sticker on the battery cover with the requirement.
apologies for bring up old news.
but good to let all owners who have not seen this be aware.

I am on my third battery since i did not know about this~!

My last ford

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
apologies for bring up old news.
but good to let all owners who have not seen this be aware.

I am on my third battery since i did not know about this~!

My last ford
No problem. I like many many others did not know of this requirement and found it out only when I inquired on this board regarding the replacement of my battery for my 2013 Ford Escape since sold for the 2018. As near as I can tell, all auto manufacturers use some kind of algorthym for controlling the alternator now to lengthen the battery life, optimize charging the battery, and fuel economy. If you check on other vehicles, I would be interested to know how they handle this particular aspect. This is not Ford's finest hour IMO. Their documentation for the second most practiced DIY (after oil change) is severely lacking. They also get low mark from me on knowledge and effective communication for their infotainment. Having said that, I like the car and the infotainment but not the service.

141 - 160 of 175 Posts